Kevin Smith talks shit about Magnolia AGAIN!

Started by Henry Krinkle, February 11, 2005, 08:38:45 PM

Henry Krinkle

Check out the AIN'T IT COOL site right now.  www.aintitcool.com
There is a link to a story about Kevin Smith and his involvement with Richard Kelly's new flick Southland Tales.

The writer of the story recently attended a Kevin Smith speaking.  During the Q&A with the audience the writer asked Smith about his involvement with Kelly's new film.

Smith said Richard sent him the script and it completely blew his mind.  Smith said it was a combination of Pulp Fiction, The Player and MAGNOLIA -  ONLY THE GOOD PARTS OF IT!  But that the script is still nonetheless a Richard Kelly script.

I am so tired of Kevin Smith talking shit about Magnolia and PTA.  

I'm also one of the few people out there who believes Richard Kelly wishes HE was PTA and is a blatent wanna-be!  From various moments in Donnie Darko to the commentary track he did for the Donnie Darko dvd where at times it sounds like he is trying to do his best PTA impersanation!  Everything from citing Jonathan Demme and his use of POINT OF VIEW - something PTA mentioned in the Boogie Nights commentary - and there is no way Kelly was influenced by Demme prior to PTA telling the world that HE was influenced by Demme, and prior to hearing the Boogie Nights commentary - guarentee!

I know Kelly has cited PTA as an influence and that is fine, great in fact!  But i found the influence to be overbearing at times during Donnie Darko, mind you, it's an influence that's filtered through Richard Kelly's vision - but it was just too darn obvious at times - it was like a poor man's version of PTA moments.

If Richard Kelly is so influenced by PTA and has respect for the man - why is he working with the ultimate PTA/Magnolia hater? aka: loudmouth bullshit director Kevin Smith.  I guess there is no respect.

cowboykurtis

I do think richard kelly is quite overrated. i dont see how people can label this guy a "genious visionary" when he's made ONE film, and a lackluster one at best. I've gone into detail why this movie doesn't work for me in other threads -- besides being extremely derrivative of other filmmakers, most notable lynch's work( pta  wasn't one that came to mind for me), i just found it extremely self aware and unfullfilling. he had some interesting ideas, that were so poorly developed and executed from a storytelling prespective, it angered me when the ending posed more questions then were logically answered in the narrative ( and I'm not interested in hearing l about the brilliant insights the webiste provides). i'll give all you kelly fans one thing; he can shoot metallic  bunnies like no other, and has mastered the harmonic blend of 80s music and navel gazing whiny actors. if that's what floats your boat, so be it.  richard kelly is a filmmaker who i give credit to for at least coming out of the gate, trying to do something different. he has still yet to prove whether or not he's a storyteller worth discussing. until then...he's not.
...your excuses are your own...

sickfins

Quote from: Henry KrinkleI'm also one of the few people out there who believes Richard Kelly wishes HE was PTA and is a blatent wanna-be!  From various moments in Donnie Darko to the commentary track he did for the Donnie Darko dvd where at times it sounds like he is trying to do his best PTA impersanation!  Everything from citing Jonathan Demme and his use of POINT OF VIEW - something PTA mentioned in the Boogie Nights commentary - and there is no way Kelly was influenced by Demme prior to PTA telling the world that HE was influenced by Demme, and prior to hearing the Boogie Nights commentary - guarentee!

I know Kelly has cited PTA as an influence and that is fine, great in fact!  But i found the influence to be overbearing at times during Donnie Darko, mind you, it's an influence that's filtered through Richard Kelly's vision - but it was just too darn obvious at times - it was like a poor man's version of PTA moments.

If Richard Kelly is so influenced by PTA and has respect for the man - why is he working with the ultimate PTA/Magnolia hater? aka: loudmouth bullshit director Kevin Smith.  I guess there is no respect.

whatever:

who cares if kelly wants to be like pta.  he's making movies and you're not.  who cares if what he rips off is through somebody else telling him about it.  if you think his influences come through too strong, fine.  it is his first movie, and he did do a pretty damn good job of it.  and who cares if he's working with kevin smith?  just because he works with smith doesn't mean he has to share or defend his opinions.  if you're tired of kevin smith bashing pta, stop listening to him.  now everyone go read a book or something

Myxo

For a guy who made Gigli and is creating Clerks 2, he's got about 0 credibility with me.

SHAFTR

Quote from: MyxomatosisFor a guy who made Gigli.

Jersey Girl, not Gigli.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Finn

I agree that Richard Kelly (and his movie) are WAY over-rated. Donnie Darko is artistic and intriguing, but it's also cynical, at times pretentious and totally unlikable. As far as Kevin Smith goes, I've heard tons of people call every one of PTA's movies a masterpiece and haven't heard them use that word with any of Smith's movies. While PTA is doing edgy, artistic and original movies, Smith is stuck with mostly bland and unoriginal movies like Jersey Girl. He has no right to say another single negative comment against PTA.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

md

Quote from: Henry Krinkle

Smith said Richard sent him the script and it completely blew his mind.  Smith said it was a combination of Pulp Fiction, The Player and MAGNOLIA -  ONLY THE GOOD PARTS OF IT!  But that the script is still nonetheless a Richard Kelly script.

sound like a good movie
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

socketlevel

they're all overly blown up in people's eyes.  all three need to be humbled as filmmakers.

although i agree, kelly did come across like a fucking washed up douchebag on that commentary.  not in a pta kind of way, but in a "look at me i'm fresh out of film school" kind of way.  the film is kinda cool, but it's big time sophomoric.  shit, the best thing about that commentary is how he talks like the film is obvious about it's narrative.  What!?  i always thought it was convoluted and fucked up as part of its essence, that's kinda why i, and i'm assuming most people, are attracted to the film.  after listening to that commentary track i just realized the filmmaker screwed up big time and couldn't convey the story he wanted.  ironically it ended up being a fluke that the film was still cool, even better than his original concept.  because once you hear his idea of what the story is about, it's not nearly as interesting (even somewhat contrived) as when it's perceived ambiguous by the audience.

i guess you really can fuck up and make something creative beyond your potential...   case in point, the Deer Hunter is another.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: socketlevelThen it's perceived ambiguous by the audience.

i guess you really can fuck up and make something creative beyond your potential...   case in point, the Deer Hunter is another.

-sl-

i don't think you can classify deer hunter as a creative mistake that just happened to work out for the best -- these two can't be compared -- deer hunter, in my opinion, is one of the best films ever made - i think cimino is an amazing filmmaker - he over shot himself on heaven's gate, and unfortunately was not given another chance. while making that claim about deer hunter, why not keep going and say welles' citizen kane was a fluke.

i couldn't disagree with you more.
...your excuses are your own...

imawombat

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: MyxomatosisFor a guy who made Gigli.

Jersey Girl, not Gigli.

hehehe...thats what i was thinking.  i'm only so-so on kevin smith ...but throwing around the blame for "gigli"...that's just harsh  :)
these things do happen

soixante

Donnie Darko is an impressive first film, especially for a 25 year old director.  When you're that young, your influences will be more evident.  Sure, there is a David Lynch influence, but I remember thinking that Tarantino's work, upon my first exposure, was highly influenced by David Mamet.  Every artist has influences.  What matters is what you do with them.  Donnie Darko had a truly unique tone, and it had images that stuck in my mind for months, like a dream.  Quite often, I have apocalyptic dreams with weird cloud formations, and Donnie Darko was the first film I've seen with similar imagery.  Plus, there is the satirical look at the late 80's culture, with Patrick Swayze playing a Tony Robbins type of guru.  I'm curious to see what Kelly comes up with next.
Music is your best entertainment value.

hedwig

kevin smith likes boogie nights. says "you're hard pressed to find a better film than boogie nights."

SiliasRuby

Hedwig's back. I think a lot of us missed you.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ronen

I beleive the proper term would be 'running gag' !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand; are you PTA's mother?
-R
cinemalog.net