there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

modage

was the score from the 2nd trailer (not the youtube teaser, but the first real one, not the one on apple), that plays during the THERE WILL BE GREED type cards in the film?  i didn't notice it, i'm not sure if it's on the soundtrack either.  can anyone else remember/confirm/deny this?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on December 12, 2007, 01:20:52 PM
was the score from the 2nd trailer (not the youtube teaser, but the first real one, not the one on apple), that plays during the THERE WILL BE GREED type cards in the film?  i didn't notice it, i'm not sure if it's on the soundtrack either.  can anyone else remember/confirm/deny this?

The bookend parts are not. But the middle is the Convergence track from Bodysong.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

RE: the twin discussion, it was very clear to me they were twins when they show that eli has more hair.. i distinctly remember paul's hair being shaved in the back.

modage

i forgot i clapped when Vincent Froio's name came up in the credits.  i thought that was pretty funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

Quote from: modage on December 16, 2007, 10:17:24 PM
i forgot i clapped when Vincent Froio's name came up in the credits.  i thought that was pretty funny.

yeah, i was looking for froio but i don't remember seeing him. where was he?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

grand theft sparrow

I didn't see Froio or Paul F. Tompkins.  Oh, well. I'll just have to see it again. 

modage

i didn't notice froio in the film but i did notice paul f tompkins.  he was standing to the right (screen left) of daniel and his son i believe during their initial "ladies and gentleman" speech at the table. 

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on December 18, 2007, 08:00:00 AM
i didn't notice froio in the film but i did notice paul f tompkins.  he was standing to the right (screen left) of daniel and his son i believe during their initial "ladies and gentleman" speech at the table. 

he also follows Daniel out of the house asking him to reconsider. 

My favorite thing about his (small) part is that once everyone in the room start yelling and making a ruckus, his voice is very discernible above the others.

JG

the last few days have been good for me. i finally decided that i REALLY loved the movie, and i've been thinking about it non-stop, watching the three trailers over and over, reading whatever i can about the movie. 

reading some blogs of those who saw it the night we did, there seems to be a whole crowd of people who think the movie really falls off the tracks in the 1927 sequence.  they argue that it becomes funny, and incongruous with the tone of the rest of the movie.  some argue, yes, it was funny, but intentionally so. 

did you guys even think it was funny? i didnt!  i felt like i laughed a few times, at appropriate moments, but the ending freaked me out.. no can argue about the last shot though, emiright? 

Astrostic

i was at the NYC screening, and i couldn't believe the laughter during the final scene.  The woman sitting directly to my right, for instance, was probably one of the loudest laughers during the scene, laughing almost hysterically and uncontrollably during the two minutes leading up to the murder, and I didn't laugh once.  I remember having no idea as to why everyone thought the film was turning into slapstick, but every time plainview tossed a bowling ball, there was another eruption.  It reminded me of the ending of little miss sunshine, when the whole family got up on stage, and i thought that whole scene was really sad, but the entire audience was laughing hysterically and i didn't know if I was just not seeing the humor or if the scene was so uncomfortable that the audience doesn't know how to react so they laugh.  I guess the same could be said about TWBB ending, it is so bizarre and absurd for a moment that laughter is the only way people can respond.

©brad

Quote from: Astrostic on December 20, 2007, 08:22:57 PMI guess the same could be said about TWBB ending, it is so bizarre and absurd for a moment that laughter is the only way people can respond.

yeah sure, but wait what's wrong with laughing in the first place? the last scene is equal parts hysterical and terrifying. that's what makes it so cinegasmic. am i missing something? why would you complain about that?

noyes

i don't know if the whole scene was meant to be funny
but lines like "Those areas have been drilled", after Eli totally humiliates himself, were.
like Brad says, it's a weird dichotomy of humor and horror show.
and i guess people laughed because of the whole absurdity of it all.
i mostly just stayed quiet and took it all in.. i'm dying to see it all again.

the movie definitely took a complete left turn tone wise near the end.
but i think it was, like others have said, intentional.
everything is reversed from 1927 on, from Plainview's relationship with H.W. to Eli's complete role-reversal.
to say that the last 25 minutes of the film was slow, dragged on, didn't make sense, "jumped the shark" is totally missing the point.
and i still can't get over that Brahms inclusion. what a perfect piece of music to end a movie with.
south america's my name.

Astrostic

Quote from: ©MBBrad on December 20, 2007, 08:53:32 PM
why would you complain about that?

I'm not complaining, I just didn't associate the scene with humor, so when people, quite a few actually, were laughing, and not giggling or chuckling, but laughing hard, I had to reevaluate the scene for myself.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

modage