What could PTA's 8th film be? Fun speculation.

Started by TheImaginator16, March 06, 2014, 02:24:44 PM

Drenk

STAR WARS: EPISODE PUT THIS LIGHT SABER IN MY VAGINA RIGHT NOW.

(Boogie Night's secret sequel.)
Ascension.

Lottery

I personally don't want is him to be/repeat da Kubes. I definitely like the sound of that early days of television film, that could be great.

Reel

SailorOfTheSeas

i thought the winking smiley established that i was, at least, semi-joking?  :yabbse-smiley: either way, the more i've been thinking, i want a PTA stop motion horror film set in the far dystopian future.

Tictacbk

N

SailorOfTheSeas

Robyn

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Gittes

I was just revisiting PTA's SIRIUS XM interview and I came across the following bit, which is something I had been looking for a few months back. I just stumbled across it now accidentally.

Quote from: MA:  Who'd be at the top of the list?  Starting tomorrow.  You get the perfect project.  Who would you call up?

PTA:  Oh, god, let me just think.  You know, De Niro.  Robert De Niro would be amazing to work with.  Jim Carrey would be amazing to work with.  I'm thinking of... Charlize Theron I think is dynamite.  She's so great.  I'm trying to think of some other names.  Jennifer Jason Leigh's one of our great actresses.  I haven't had a chance to work with her.  Michael Shannon, do you guys know him?  He's dynamite, too.

This is the only time he's mentioned Jim Carrey, right? I remember a lot of people were speculating that Carrey would join the cast of Inherent Vice. I wonder if he was approached.

Anyway, I really hope that they will collaborate one day.

Gittes

In addition to Carrey, there's obviously a long list of actors that would probably bring a lot to a PTA movie. If we stick to the comedic emphasis, though, I think Bill Hader should also be near the top of that list (on a related note, I'm now reminded of this Cigs & Red Vines update).

Kyle Mooney, too. He's on SNL right now but, based on the few recent episodes that I've seen, the show hasn't demanded enough from him. For an indication of the breadth of his talents and his distinct comedic sensibilities, see the amazing video below:

Ulivija

I watched the new Criterion edition of "Vanishing". Director Sluizer talks about how Kubrick loved the film, and cast its lead actress for "Aryan Papers". Then I watched a documentary about "Aryan Papers" where Kubrick's producer talks how they would love it if a great director would tackle that project that Kubrick abandoned. I know PTA would probably never direct a project that's already developed, but I think he would make a hell of a movie. The book is called "Wartime Lies", and its author Louis Begley also wrote "About Schmidt".

jenkins

Pynchon writes: It's been a while since I've read anything quite so groovy, quite such a joy from beginning to end. This book comes on like the Hallelujah Chorus done by 200 kazoo players with perfect pitch, I mean strong, swinging, skillful and reverent -- but also with the fine brassy buzz of irreverence in there too. FariƱa has going for him an unerring and virtuoso instinct about exactly what, in this bewildering Republic, is serious and what cannot possibly be -- and on top of that, the honesty to come out and say it straight. In spinning his yarn he spins the reader as well, dizzily into a microcosm that manages to be hilarious, chilling, sexy, profound, maniacal, beautiful and outrageous all at the same time.