Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

mogwai

last year, pearl jam played at the mellon arena in the pa state. and they could've played there again to attract more people due to the cause. but i guess they want more of a intimate show and i'm guessing the show will be semi unplugged. just guessing. have a great night!

grand theft sparrow

My friend's unbelievable luck (skill?) with tickets continues!  I don't know how he did it but he did it.  We're on the floor now for the Reading show!

Where are your seats, Bethie?  (Sorry if I'm pre-emptively rubbing it in.)

And Bob Roberts is definitely opening before Death Cab for Cutie.  I have to keep an eye out for Jack Black in a trenchcoat in the audience.  :wink:

cine

Quote from: hacksparrowWhere are your seats, Bethie?  (Sorry if I'm pre-emptively rubbing it in.)
She's delusional, actually. She didn't get tickets.

Bethie

^Shut up you.

Hacksparrow- I'm on the floor. Section 7. Row 00. Seat 10.

:!:
who likes movies anyway

Bethie

:arrow: Pearl Jam will be performing on Letterman THIS THURSDAY NIGHT.
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

Pearl Jam sends a very convincing message

By Tom Kielty, Globe Correspondent  |  September 29, 2004

Let it never be said that Pearl Jam is not a band of the people.

Their performance at the FleetCenter last night, the first of two in Boston in anticipation of a seven-date "Vote for Change" tour that will lead into the presidential election, was quite simply a show of force. This is a band without a record label, operating on their own terms, and they continue to deliver powerful and thoughtful ideas.

From the first strains of "Release," which was the first massive sing-a-long of the set, it was obvious the band had the capacity crowd on its side. Crashing without comment into "Last Exit," from the group's punkiest effort, "Vitalogy," it was immediately clear that they planned on taking no prisoners in advance of their most political tour.

Singer Eddie Vedder set an early tone with solo renditions of Cat Stevens's "Don't Be Shy" and the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," but the band's set took off with a punchy rendition of Steve Forbert's "The American In Me." Following with their own, "Insignificance," with the refrain of "Bombs, dropping down" echoed by the partisan audience, Pearl Jam managed to incorporate their antiwar ideology without brow beating, a truly rare feat.

Print deadlines resulted in an early departure, but the energy of guitarist Mike McCready on the pulsing "Do the Evolution" spoke highly for what was to come. Prior to the song, Vedder spoke about the pleasure of playing "Boston proper" again (as opposed to the suburban confines of Mansfield's Tweeter Center, which has hosted the band as of late) as well as congratulating the Red Sox on securing a playoff berth. Sox general manager Theo Epstein could be seen good-naturedly accepting congratulations from the side of the stage before the set.

The band had already thrashed through a version of "Dissident" that found the crowd easily as loud as Vedder. This was one of the showcases for drummer Matt Cameron, whose athleticism on the skins when locked in with bassist Jeff Ament truly demonstrates why this is a band that continues to mature.

When speaking of maturation, one need look no further than opening act Death Cab For Cutie, who might possibly be the best band that mainstream American audiences have yet to embrace. The Seattle-based outfit has escaped the indie rock ghetto as a result of high exposure on the television series "The O.C." and their set was outstanding. Highlights included "The New Year" (ironically the first song played this year on local alternative station WFNX) and the gorgeous "Transatlanticism" with the sentiment "She is beautiful, but she don't mean a thing to me."

Actor/activist Tim Robbins followed Vedder's introductory solo performance with his act, Gob Roberts, an extenuation of the folkie politican he played in the film "Bob Roberts." If nothing else, he earned smiles by dedicating "Drugs Suck" to those in attendance who might have been artificially enhanced.

Bethie

I love that band so much.

QuoteThe band had already thrashed through a version of "Dissident" that found the crowd easily as loud as Vedder.

us Pearl Jam fans rule.    8)  haha, one of my silly dreams is to see PJ play Jeremy live just so I can be in the crowd when he says, "Arms raised in a V" and the whole audience raises their arms. yeah. I want to be part of that. someday.
who likes movies anyway

Pedro

Quote from: mogwaiWhen speaking of maturation, one need look no further than opening act Death Cab For Cutie, who might possibly be the best band that mainstream American audiences have yet to embrace
gross.  death cab's boring...

mogwai

Quote from: BethieI love that band so much. us Pearl Jam fans rule.    8)  haha, one of my silly dreams is to see PJ play Jeremy live just so I can be in the crowd when he says, "Arms raised in a V" and the whole audience raises their arms. yeah. I want to be part of that. someday.
or:

wishlist: "i wish i was the grounds for fifty million hands up raised and opened toward the sky", the crowd raises both their hands in the sky.

small town: "i just want to scream...hello...", the crowd sings HELLO!!!

bugs: when the crowd just stands there puzzled.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: BethieI love that band so much.

QuoteThe band had already thrashed through a version of "Dissident" that found the crowd easily as loud as Vedder.

us Pearl Jam fans rule.    8)  haha, one of my silly dreams is to see PJ play Jeremy live just so I can be in the crowd when he says, "Arms raised in a V" and the whole audience raises their arms. yeah. I want to be part of that. someday.

Have you never seen them live before?  You might get your wish tomorrow night.  You are still going to the Reading show, right? (dumb question)

meatwad

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca
gross.  death cab's boring...

can't agree more. why does everybody love this group so much?

RegularKarate

I'm old... so I like boring music.

Pearl Jam needs to stop doing stuff or change thier name and start over... I can't bring myself to give them another chance... they're so inconsistant...it's not worth my time.

Bethie

Quotesmall town: "i just want to scream...hello...", the crowd sings HELLO!!!

I was part of that before.

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: BethieI love that band so much.

Have you never seen them live before?  You might get your wish tomorrow night.  You are still going to the Reading show, right? (dumb question)

I saw them in Buffalo, NY. May 03.

about the Reading show... I don't have a way of transportation.  and no one seems to care.

:cry:     :cry:     :cry:  

:(
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

did anyone see them at letterman?

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaidid anyone see them at letterman?
yes. they played masters of war. it was good.

on a semi-related note, what the FUCj was up with john goodman the other nite? disturbing stuff.
under the paving stones.