Hugh Grant gets Stanley Kubrick award

Started by Lucinda Bryte, November 10, 2003, 05:01:31 PM

Lucinda Bryte

kotte

He may be a funny fella but worth the Kubrick award he is not.

Gamblour.

"Previous winners of the Stanley Kubrick award, given in memory of the late director, include Sir Michael Caine, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Martin Scorsese."

It's kinda sad or insulting or degrading to think Hugh Grant's on par with any of these guys.
WWPTAD?

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore"Previous winners of the Stanley Kubrick award, given in memory of the late director, include Sir Michael Caine, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Martin Scorsese."

It's kinda sad or insulting or degrading to think Hugh Grant's on par with any of these guys.

I was just about to quote the same thing.

Gloria

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore"Previous winners of the Stanley Kubrick award, given in memory of the late director, include Sir Michael Caine, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Martin Scorsese."

Hugh Grant doesn't have the body of work that any of the previous winners have. I would like to hear the reasoning behind him recieving the award above other more developed people in the industry.  I dont have a problem with him getting the award, though. Just something to put on his shelf.

Gamblour.

Though many things would've been better, one of two things really should have happened instead:

1. Give it to Christiane Kubrick for her singing in Paths of Glory.
2. Give it to Scorsese again.
WWPTAD?

kotte

Quote from: GloriaI dont have a problem with him getting the award, though. Just something to put on his shelf.

You don't have a problem with that?

People work their asses of to achieve greatness and here we have a guy who doesn't even want to be an actor getting this award...

Remember how they pushed for Billy Crystal getting an Oscar nomination for his work in Analyze That?

ElPandaRoyal

Greatness is achieved with the movies they make. Notwith fucking awards. Ron Howard or Kevin Costner are not, by any means, greater than Scorsese and never will be.
Si

kotte

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumGreatness is achieved with the movies they make. Notwith fucking awards. Ron Howard or Kevin Costner are not, by any means, greater than Scorsese and never will be.

I'm not saying getting the award is greatness...

but the jury or whatever must think Grant's good...why else are they giving it to him?

ElPandaRoyal

Well, I do think he's good in some films like Small Time Crooks and specially About a Boy. Of course he isn't and hardly will be on pair with Michael Caine or Scorsese or Hopkins, but hey, if they want him to have the Kubrick award, more power to them. In fact, I didn't even know there was a Kubrick award...  :?
Si

kotte

tell me, how does one go suck a fuck?

ElPandaRoyal

I don't know, but Richard Kelly might...  :wink:
Si

kotte

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumI don't know, but Richard Kelly might...  :wink:

yeah, I'll just give him a call :)

Gloria

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: GloriaI dont have a problem with him getting the award, though. Just something to put on his shelf.

You don't have a problem with that?

People work their asses of to achieve greatness and here we have a guy who doesn't even want to be an actor getting this award...

Remember how they pushed for Billy Crystal getting an Oscar nomination for his work in Analyze That?

I think RoyalTenenbaum answered this for me:

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumGreatness is achieved with the movies they make. Notwith fucking awards. Ron Howard or Kevin Costner are not, by any means, greater than Scorsese and never will be.

There is always someone out there who should have gotten an award.  Awards are nice but they by no means measure someone's greatness.

kotte

Quote from: kotteI'm not saying getting the award is greatness...

but the jury or whatever must think Grant's good...why else are they giving it to him?