Brick

Started by modage, January 02, 2006, 11:59:17 PM

modage

http://www.brickmovie.net/

Release Date: March 24th, 2006 (limited)
Premise: A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.
World Premiere: January 21st, 2005 (Sundance Film Festival, in dramatic competition)
Distributor: Focus Features
Cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Brendan Frye), Lukas Haas (The Pin), Nora Zehetner (Laura Dannon), Matt O'Leary (The Brain), Meagan Good (Kara), Noah Fleiss (Tugger), Emilie De Ravin (Emily), Noah Segan (Dode), Brian J. White (Brad), Richard Roundtree (Assistant VP Gary Trueman)
Director: Rian Johnson (feature debut; he edited the indie horror movie May)
Screenwriter: Rian Johnson (feature debut)
Genre: Drama, Mystery

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i remember hearing a little bit about this at Sundance a year ago and then i kinda forgot about it.  but i just saw the trailer for it the other day before The New World and i thought it looked pretty great.  i'm not sure why it's taking so looong to come out, it got pretty good reviews as i remember.  so i will be there opening day for this one... WATCH THE TRAILER or read a few reviews http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brick/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

that joseph gordon levitt is playing all these crazy teenager roles these days.  it's like he's trying to re-live all those missing years or something.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on January 02, 2006, 11:59:17 PM
WATCH THE TRAILER

if that kid at the beginning doesn't solve the rubix cube, this could be pretty cool. a teenage detective story.. works for me.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Yeah, looks good. Though I couldn't help but laugh when I realized the trailer reminded me of the short noir spoof posted here long ago (with the guy getting hit with the basketball all the time).

modage

i'm really excited for this.

you can talk to the writer/director here: http://www.rcjohnso.com/forum/index.php

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

McfLy

A teenage film-noir-ish picture...This one definately has my attention. Those one-sheets (or promotional cards?) look interesting.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on March 06, 2006, 10:00:33 PM
you can talk to the writer/director here: http://www.rcjohnso.com/forum/index.php
i'm gonna ask him about the rubix cube!
under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

Saw this last night at an advance screening in Santa Monica where the director and two of the actors stayed after and answered questions and I've got to say, it's my favorite film of 2006 so far. If you love Film Noir you'll really embrace this. It seems like this could have been a lost script from the late 1940's early 50's, it's that much like a film noir and I might see it again when it comes to the arclight in hollywood on the 31st. My god, what a fun film.

At the questionairee it was the usual film school questions, so nothing new other than he based it on alot of hammets stuff and that it was shot about two years ago. But god, I was so happy to have encountered this film. Just seriously wonderful vintage film noir dialogue and some hilarious moments.

But ya,  :yabbse-thumbup:!!!!!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

sheshothim

I saw the trailor when I rented The Constant Gardener, and decided I MUST see it. As I watched closely, though, I realized the lead role was the kid from Third Rock from the Sun. It's always hard for me to adjust to seeing people like that in serious movies...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

edison

Quote from: sheshothim on March 18, 2006, 06:20:12 PM
I saw the trailor when I rented The Constant Gardener, and decided I MUST see it. As I watched closely, though, I realized the lead role was the kid from Third Rock from the Sun. It's always hard for me to adjust to seeing people like that in serious movies...

Go rent Mysterious Skin, you'll really have a hard time adjusting

polkablues

Quote from: edison on March 18, 2006, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: sheshothim on March 18, 2006, 06:20:12 PM

Go rent Mysterious Skin, you'll really have a hard time adjusting

Manic, too.  That was the first movie I saw him in after Third Rock, and I could hardly believe it was the same kid.
My house, my rules, my coffee

sheshothim

Ah ha....intrigue!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Sal

Great film.  I think it's the most original Ive seen in some time.

modage

cool, i'm REALLY looking forward to it.

meatwad

i'm going to see this tomorrow

EDIT:
i just saw this, and the writer/director rian johnson spoke after

it's good, but not great. when it started, i was afriad it was starting to get silly with the funny lingo and obvious musical infulance to noir films. but i started to get into it, and in the end enjoyed myself. the music, which i thought was quite good, reminded me of the soundtrack to punch drunk love at times. He spoke about the soundtrack, and said that they used cheese graters and bottles as instruments. some of the sound design was impressive for a film made for just under $500,00 (at least i thought so).

in the end, i'm left with the thought of twin peaks, without the lynch weirdness. Xidentity Crixax may have more to say, he was there too

rian johnson seemed cool, although he did not talk much, and a bunch of old people used the Q&A time to complain that they did not understand the film  :yabbse-angry:

i also must have missed this, but i did not realize the super hot emilie de ravin was in this. she's not always super hot in this film, but it's alright