Boccaccio '70

Started by Ravi, June 11, 2005, 07:48:20 PM

Ravi

Read the DVDfile review of Boccaccio '70 and was intrigued.  I hadn't heard of it before.  Anyone here seen it?

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

ElPandaRoyal

I once saw a bit of the last episode on cable and didn't know a thing about the movie. It looked cool. The worse came later, when I found out they wouldn't be repeting the movie and then I knew who directed it... and got REALLY pissed of. I mean, REALLY.
Si

Gamblour.

What's Boccacio mean? it sounds like that bread with tomatoes on it.
WWPTAD?

mogwai

boccacio is what my ballet teacher told me to do last week. i still haven't figured out what it means. sorry.

planet_jake

Boccaccio is a dead, Italian author whose themes were drenched in SEX!

Fellini's segment is without a doubt one of his best films... It needs to be seen to be believed. A giant Anita Eckberg stepping out of a billboard to torture the repressed sexuality of an overtly catholic writer... SO GOOD.

SoNowThen

The whole of it is very good, and I might even go so far as saying Fellini's episode is the least interesting of the bunch. Monicelli's and De Sica's are cute and fun as hell, but Visconti's is the real stand-out.

Just got the dvd and it's still unwrapped, so don't know about quality. But I can tell you that I saw this in a decent print at the NFT last year, so hopefully if that's the one making the rounds, that's the visual indicator.

Well, well worth it. Get this movie if you're a fan of that era of Italian cinema.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.