emoticons

Started by ono, November 21, 2004, 06:46:19 PM

pete

all Wes Anderson soundtracks are Christmas-y.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: peteall Wes Anderson soundtracks are Christmas-y.

...or maybe just Royal Tenebaums because it has that one Christmas song on it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

no way dude.

EDIT: oops, I thought I was replying to the best christmas music thread.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

hedwig

Quote from: Chest Rockwell:splat:

"after the show, i made a nice salad."

ono

This one takes on a whole new meaning these days.  Hehe.

To the point: 

Make it happen.

Pubrick

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 25, 2005, 01:12:56 AM
[the one with the guy whipping the other guy]

really? in what way?
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on November 25, 2005, 08:55:23 PM
Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 25, 2005, 01:12:56 AM
[the one with the guy whipping the other guy]

really? in what way?

Yeah, personally or politically?
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

I see it as a metaphor for Xixax politics.

Gamblour.

I see it as a metaphor for S&M
WWPTAD?

Reinhold

how would you do emoticons if you were to use film punctuation instead of written punctuation?

for example, i thought that the all purpose smiley [ :) ] or " : ) " might be something like this:

dither from black to yellow over 6 frames, cut to three frames of black, cut back to yellow for three frames. wash out over the course of 12 frames
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

picolas

what? are you asking for the mosaic recipe? i think a smiley face using film grammar would be a picture of a smiley face.

Reinhold

no, that would be an image of a smiley for a few frames on film, essentially making this statement if you buy into semiotics, "here (there) is a smiley face"

which is different from using elements of punctuation: cuts, dissolves, wipes, beats, color mattes, or tones with duration. the idea isn't to use images... it's to use what editors put between images to help separate or inflect clauses, just as we use the punctuation with which we make usual emoticons.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

picolas

i could not care less about this question. people wouldn't understand that description to be a smiley face ever. what people put between images isn't seperate from images... you can't dissolve from and to nothing. an image of yellow or black is still an image. a picture of someone smiling would be understood as a picture of someone smiling. JEEZ.

edit: i actually have made a movie using an emoticon. i shot an emoticon. a good time was had by all.

cine

jesus reinhold, you're gonna make the worst movie ever. 

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: reinhold on December 23, 2007, 11:48:28 PM
how would you do emoticons if you were to use film punctuation instead of written punctuation?

for example, i thought that the all purpose smiley [ :) ] or " : ) " might be something like this:

dither from black to yellow over 6 frames, cut to three frames of black, cut back to yellow for three frames. wash out over the course of 12 frames

Why not make it and see what happens? Creating an image out of editing sounds like an interesting idea to me (granted, I don't think it would ever impart the idea of a smile). As it stands, your "description" is negated by the fact that it's written, so one could simply ask why you didn't write ": )" or "smiley".