The 81st Annual Academy Awards

Started by Sleepless, July 03, 2008, 08:45:51 AM

Fernando

liked:

- my girl Kate winning and her speech, awesome that she mentioned pete jackson.
- heath, ppl really seemed moved by it.
- great speeches from: the guys from man on wire, the japanese foregin film guys (i bet israel felt like mexico two years ago), the short doc lady was great too.
- de niro was the best of all actor presenters, saying how did sean got away with plating straight all this time, good speech by penn too.
- in memoriam, they included EWS when remembering sydney
- best presenters: joaquin stiller, steve martin (bring him back!), tina and hancock
- hottest: kate (duh!) and portman  :inlove:

didn't:

- waaaaaaaaaay too many musical numbers
- actors awards new format
- in memoriam format
- mickey not winning, not saying penn didn't deserved it, I was just rooting for him. haven't seen neither film
- jackman=borefest, i like the guy and did his best but...INVALIDATED for future awards

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolas on February 23, 2009, 01:24:09 AMthe decision to cut the acting clips (which i've always enjoyed because they try to represent those defining moments) and replace them with boring, tedious speeches by other actors describing their performances (aside from de niro and a couple other exceptions) clinched it.

Quote from: Fernando on February 23, 2009, 05:38:05 PM
didn't:

- actors awards new format

Although I did kinda miss the clips, I, for one, did enjoy the former winners presenting the nominations in a very personal manner; especially when you have legends like Eva Marie Saint and Sophia Loren doing it. The thing with the clips is, right after they are shown and they cut to the the face of the actor/actress, their reaction is always the same; either they don't like seeing themselves or they are baffled why that particular clip was shown to represent their nomination. With the way it was done last night, you can see the complete level of respect and appreciation on all the nominees' faces (some moved to tears) and it was a very poetic way for them to still feel like a winner. And that made it was more about the actors/actresses themselves rather than showing a clip to remind those who have seen the film or show those who have not why they are nominated.

I guess Javier Bardem and Daniel Day Lewis were busy to do the hand off from last year's winners to this year's.  :yabbse-undecided:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Convael

Yeah... I was really looking forward to seeing DDL be one of the 5 presenters even though I kinda felt that he wouldn't.  I liked hearing Momentum by Aimee Mann.  It played right before one of the commercial breaks and it's the first time that one of my favorite songs from Magnolia has been played on tv/in a movie/in the grocery store/etc.

theyarelegion

Ha, I was just about to post about Momentum too.

Gamblour.

Michael Shannon managed to look like an even creepier version of Christopher Walken.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

The former winners giving the pep talk was fucking stupid. It made me roll my eyes everytime. The Oscars are already pompous enough. Did we really need that? The amount of car waxing in those was fucking ridiculous.

I'd rather see clips of movies/performances.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Quote from: Fernando on February 23, 2009, 05:38:05 PM

- mickey not winning, not saying penn didn't deserved it, I was just rooting for him. haven't seen neither film

Yeah, no shit. I watched that fucking ceremony way longer than I should have just to see Rourke win that goddamn statue.

Penn gave such a giving, generous performance - and his speech pretty much exemplified it... but I was rooting for Rourke, as well.

Shame Michael Shannon didn't win. I know it really is irrelevant - doesn't negate his performance, Ledger's performance, or anyone else - but Shannon gave the best performance in that category (as ridiculous as it is to compare the two.)

Also, I'm currently too lazy to read through the last page of posts, and if anyone already addressed this I'm sorry for being redundant but...

The montage combining Best Picture nominees from this year and previous years thematically probably sounded like a good idea but, in execution, was fucking ridiculous.  Really, it just made me root for Raging Bull.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

MacGuffin

Quote from: john on February 23, 2009, 11:01:02 PMThe montage combining Best Picture nominees from this year and previous years thematically probably sounded like a good idea but, in execution, was fucking ridiculous.  Really, it just made me root for Raging Bull.

What was really strange was Revolutionary Road included in the Romantic Films montage.  :shock:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

Wow, I didn't even register than they included Revolutionary Road - poor form for numerous reasons.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.