Toni Erdmann

Started by wilder, May 23, 2016, 06:13:04 PM

wilder

A father tries to reconnect with his adult daughter.

Written and Directed by Maren Ade
Starring Peter Simonischek, Sandra Hüller, and Michael Wittenborn
Not starring Tommy Wisseau
Release Date - December 25, 2016
Playlist review

pete

holy shit wow one of the best in the last couple of years
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

this review from letterboxd made me laugh:

So when's the shitty Paul Feig remake with like Pacino and Rose Byrne?

[puts in goofy dentures]

Don't you dare steal my idea.

brilliant fucking movie.  itching to see it again.

Just Withnail

Yes, this was incredibly beautiful and funny.

MILD SPOILS

The playful game in the park when the father is dressed in the Bulgarian costume was heartbreaking.

Ravi

I hope this remake doesn't hammer out what made the original so wonderful. This could easily become a dumb, broad comedy if not handled well. Something tells me the remake won't be nearly three hours long, though  :yabbse-undecided:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jack-nicholson-toni-erdmann-remake-retirement-oscar-nominated-1201980617/

Jack Nicholson to Star in 'Toni Erdmann' Remake, His First Major Role in a Decade (EXCLUSIVE)
by Justin Kroll

Heeere's Toni!

Jack Nicholson, who hasn't appeared in a feature film since 2010, will star in an English-language remake of the Oscar-nominated film "Toni Erdmann."

Sources tell Variety Paramount Pictures has acquired the remake rights to the acclaimed German film with Nicholson attached to play the title character.

Paramount had no comment.

Adam McKay, who recently directed "The Big Short" for the studio, will produce along with Will Ferrell and Jessica Elbuam of Gloria Sanchez Productions. Maren Ade, writer and director of the original "Toni Erdmann," will exec produce the remake along with producers Jonas Dornbach and Janine Jackowski.

The original film starred Peter Simonischek and Sandra Huller and followed a practical joking father who tries to reconnect with his hard working daughter by creating an outrageous alter ego and posing as her CEO's life coach.

It's unknown who will play the lead role of Nicholson's daughter in the film. Paramount is also looking to attach a director and writer.

Nominated for Best Foreign feature at the 2017 Academy Awards, "Toni Erdmann" has been the movie to beat in the international category and was also nominated a Golden Globe for Best Foreign film.

Sony Pictures Classics acquired U.S. rights to "Toni Erdmann" following its debut last year at the Cannes Film Festival. It's currently playing in limited release domestically.

Sources tell Variety that Nicholson, who turns 80 this year, was a huge fan of the original and approached Paramount's Brad Grey with the idea and Grey immediately worked with the team at Paramount to secure the rights.

"Toni Erdmann" marks Nicholson's first film since playing a role in the James L. Brooks dramedy "How do You Know," which many in Hollywood though could be possibly be the actor's last major film. He also starred in the 2007 film "The Bucket List" opposite Morgan Freeman.

The three-time Oscar-winner has been courted for a few films in recent years, including the Branch Rickey role in "42" as well as Robert Downey Jr.'s father in "The Judge," but passed on both.

Correction: An earlier version of this story reported that "Toni Erdmann" won the Golden Globe for foreign film in 2017. It was nominated for the award, "Elle" was the winner.

Alexandro

At least once a year comes a film which becomes a hit and critical darling while I completely fail to get any of the praise. To me, this was pure dull torture. I've read the reviews and most are filled with general praise: moving, hilarious, bizarre, with a seemingly universal plot description which might as well be from the film's press kit. Haven't read one comment or review which makes a case for the film to be what it's supposed to be. It's not even that bizarre. Quirky, perhaps.

I found it long (eternal would be more apt), mostly unpleasant and kept fighting to find a reason to care. I didn't even smile during the whole thing. To me, the father was a fucking drag. He looked like shit and seemed to have no social skills whatsoever. His pranks were lame. Of course I was destined to hate this, as from the get go I wanted him to vanish from the film. Each time he wasn't around I was instantly more involved in the daughter's problems.

I pretty much lost hope when he showed up in "disguise" the first time around, right in front of two girls who - if i remember correctly - had met him a coupe of days before and didn't recognise him. Was that supposed to be another hilarious joke? Ok...

It just went on and on while I was meditating on the fact that maybe if this is one of the most celebrated films of the year, I don't really understand film culture anymore. But hey, if Jack liked it...

modage

Agree completely. I hated this fucking movie.

For the first 40 minutes or so I was kinda with it and if it had ended after 90 minutes I would've probably just forgotten about it but as it continued to stretch on into the 3 hour mark I began to just itch in my seat. 3 fucking hours to repeat the same "comic" scenario over and over and fucking over again. Oh, is this going to be another scene where dad shows up wearing his doofy disguise and his daughter pretends he isn't a lunatic? Ha ha ha.

All I kept thinking was, if this was a Kevin James comedy, everyone else would've seen the same movie I was watching, but because it's German and subtitled, these Three's Company-style hi-jinks must be high-brow.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: modage on February 23, 2017, 09:27:35 AMAll I kept thinking was, if this was a Kevin James comedy, everyone else would've seen the same movie I was watching, but because it's German and subtitled, these Three's Company-style hi-jinks must be high-brow.

Elliott Kalan has a thing about exactly that. He says "I Know Who Killed Me" would have been a critical hit in a foreign language.

jenkins

...Jack Nicholson comedy. i mean...

pete

that's not a good point - you put Kevin James in any comedy and he'll wreck it.
for me it's like a robin williams comedy that has the patience and the courage to go much deeper into the lives these people, who are living real lives.

Quote from: modage on February 23, 2017, 09:27:35 AM
Agree completely. I hated this fucking movie.

For the first 40 minutes or so I was kinda with it and if it had ended after 90 minutes I would've probably just forgotten about it but as it continued to stretch on into the 3 hour mark I began to just itch in my seat. 3 fucking hours to repeat the same "comic" scenario over and over and fucking over again. Oh, is this going to be another scene where dad shows up wearing his doofy disguise and his daughter pretends he isn't a lunatic? Ha ha ha.

All I kept thinking was, if this was a Kevin James comedy, everyone else would've seen the same movie I was watching, but because it's German and subtitled, these Three's Company-style hi-jinks must be high-brow.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

But it didn't feel real to me. At all.

It felt broad and sitcommy and I just started to hate that no one onscreen seemed to act or react like any human being would in most of the situations they were put into.

The naked finale rang the most false of all.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

satire thing. it's cool. i feel the same about musicals.