So Far This Year - LP Version ( Vol 2006 ! )

Started by hedwig, July 08, 2006, 12:55:16 PM

hedwig

the only two i listen to are

and

and the rest i like but don't listen to and would include only to look cool are:

mogwai

mogwai - mr beast
pearl jam - pearl jam
ed harcourt - the beautiful lie
röyksopp - röyksopp's night out

Pubrick

hey hedwig have you ever considered designing interiors for a living?
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Quote from: Hedwig on July 08, 2006, 12:55:16 PM
and the rest i like but don't listen to and would include only to look cool are:

the placebo album does not make you look cool

polkablues

Adam Green - Jacket Full of Danger

Keane - Under the Iron Sea

Gus Black - Autumn Days

Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers

Placebo - Meds

Tool - 10,000 Days

What's interesting is that every one of these is what I'd consider somewhat of a lesser album from each artist.  2006 has not been a banner year for me discovering new talent.

Also, it's been seven whole months without a new Ryan Adams album, and I'm starting to freak out a little.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

eh, i'm not up for pictures now. 

1.  Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I am Dreaming
2.  Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
3.  Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
4.  Oh No! Oh My! - Oh No! Oh My!
5.  Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - House Arrest
6.  Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

edison

meatwad

i'm sure i'm forgetting some

also have to give credit to pubrick for turning me on to that presets album

pete

man, I'm just not impressed with the gnarls barkley album.  I love both ceelo, especially when goodie mobb teamed up with outkast for Dungeon Family, and Danger Mouse, but the new album just sounds so flat for me.  I don't understand how it can be considered innovative soul when there is nothing that separates it from a mountain of soul music decades ago, aside from maybe recording techniques, and I don't understand how by any standard, it can be considered interesting.  it's not bad music, but it's bland music.  I think more than anything it shows how desperately the world needs the return of funk and soul.  we still await the glorious return, but gnarls just ain't good enough.
seu jorge, make a third album.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

My top 10 would look like this... I'm sure I'll revamp it, so I'll add pictures later.

10 - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

9 - Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

8 - Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

7 - Sufjan Stevens - Avalanche

6 - Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope

5 - The Sound of Animals Fighting - Lover, the Lord Has Left Us

4 - Mars Volta - Amputechture

3 - Murder By Death - In Bocca al Lupo

2 - Thom Yorke - The Eraser

1 - Tool - 10,000 Days

Hm... I like the albums, but I know this is going to get skewed later on.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

I Love a Magician

Anyway, there are a few albums out this year where I like one song or two songs or maybe even three. Those are:

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped (Do You Belive in Rapture)
Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming (title track)
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche (Springfield)
Mogwai - Mr. Beast (Acid Food)
Drive-By Truckers - (Daylight)

There are a couple that I like but doubt I'll listen to much after the next couple of months. Those are:

The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes
Loose Fur - Born Again in the USA
Mates of State - Bring it Back
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

And a couple that I like a lot and figure I'll be listening to for a good while. Those are:

Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
M. Ward - Post-War

So I guess I'm not a huge fan of the stuff that's come out so far. But who knows! Jason Molina (Songs:Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co. guy) has fucking six albums planned for release here soon, the Mountain Goats have a new one out in a month or whatever, Akron/Family's got one coming up, and maybe Ryan Adams will lose him mind and release eight albums in the month of October and I'll like two of'em.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pete on July 09, 2006, 01:12:47 PM
man, I'm just not impressed with the gnarls barkley album.  I love both ceelo, especially when goodie mobb teamed up with outkast for Dungeon Family, and Danger Mouse, but the new album just sounds so flat for me.  I don't understand how it can be considered innovative soul when there is nothing that separates it from a mountain of soul music decades ago, aside from maybe recording techniques, and I don't understand how by any standard, it can be considered interesting.  it's not bad music, but it's bland music.  I think more than anything it shows how desperately the world needs the return of funk and soul.  we still await the glorious return, but gnarls just ain't good enough.
seu jorge, make a third album.

Gnarls doesn't break any new ground but it is fun to listen to, in that Gorillaz sort of way.  It's in their power to turn out an amazing second album.  As far as it just being a harmless fun party album, it serves its purpose, but they're by no means the second coming.  But compared to the sorry state of blander yet more popular music that passes for funk or soul these days (Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Ashanti, Usher, etc... PRINCE can't even turn out a decent album anymore), Gnarls does stand out.