What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus on November 15, 2008, 11:30:56 PMMaybe I should've started with If Chins Could Kill, but whatever.  I'll get that one soon, I imagine.

Chins is the better, funnier of the two.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Then I'm actually glad that I'm reading this one first.  That way I can't be let down.  At least not as far as my future self is concerned.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

Quote from: Walrus on November 16, 2008, 01:24:24 AM
Then I'm actually glad that I'm reading this one first.  That way I can't be let down.  At least not as far as my future self is concerned.

i dunno man, what if you peak at 5,000?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

puddnanners

Tictacbk

MacGuffin

^^ Planning a trip to 2015 in your DeLorean?

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tictacbk

turned out I had the wrong book the whole time...

cinemanarchist

50% off everything over at www.mcsweeneys.net Just picked up issues 23-28! Currently reading Maps & Legends by Mr. Chabon. 
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Audacity of Hope - it's good, he's a compelling writer, but it's really just kind of a idealistic approach to things, both a manifesto and a daydream. I think the current debacle with Daschle and company is sort of shattering the idealism he highlights here. Granted, it's a completely valid, inspiring point of view. But when no Republicans in the House vote for the stimulus package, what we have in common vs. what makes us different is a bit hard to swallow.
WWPTAD?

private witt

Senate Republicans will do everything they can to hobble the stimulus package in order to say, "See, we told you it wouldn't work."  This is how they operate.  They run on a platform of, "Government doesn't work."  Then they get elected and prove it.

I just finished this, probably the weakest Abbey book I've read to date:

It left me feeling empty at the end, I didn't care about any of the characters.  Many of his books leave you feeling the same at the end as you did at the beginning, but they're wholly entertaining and funny along the way.  Depressing stories can make great drama, but there's not much of either here.  If anybody's new to Abbey, start with 'Desert Solitaire' or 'The Monkey Wrench Gang'.  Both will satisfy.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche