Brokeback Mountain

Started by Ghostboy, August 25, 2005, 02:42:52 PM

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

ono

A Matter Of Chance

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

matt35mm

Pozer

Two guys, a mountain, and the rest writes itself

matt35mm

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

mutinyco

I didn't realize how many repressed homosexuals posted at xixax...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

NEON MERCURY

Thrindle

I don't think I've posted in this thread yet... which is surprising because I am incredibly excited to see this movie.  Yes, the pervert in me is A-OK with Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal getting it on.  I simply cannot wait!   :bravo:
Classic.

A Matter Of Chance

Ravi

modage

this was good, but nowhere near great.  i have to believe that critics are just so starved for a decent movie this year that films like this and History Of Violence are getting a little more attention than they might've in a better year.  heath ledger is sort of a vacuous character with very little personality whatsoever (and a voice like Sling Blade and Dale from King Of The Hill), so it's a litle hard to understand why ANYone would fall for him, but whatever.  when i really thought about it, the film itself really isnt that great. it's basically an average melodrama at best if you take away the fact that it's about two men which is the only thing that really makes it interesting.  much of the film probably would've been pretty ridiculous had it been played between 'straight' characters because of how melodramatic it gets at times, but the film did manage to draw me in after a slow beginning and make me care about the characters.  however, it really bugs me when films span a 20 year or greater period of time and have a young actor playing through the old stuff with a tint of gray in the hair and like, liverspots.  its never convincing and always takes me out of the movie.  i prefer to cast an older actor and suspend disbelief over playing a little younger than have to believe that gyllenhaal practically my age is actually 40 because he has sideburns and a mustache.  in regards to the 'gayness', the impression i had was that the film would be about their lives apart and various reuinions of how they could never recapture the love they had on brokeback mountain but SPOILER it really wasnt that.  they snuck off to have sex a few times a year with each other and so it really wasnt about the forbidden love.  just that they couldnt fully give into it and live that way openly. END SPOILER the best part was the score that plays in the trailer and a few times in the film. C+
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.