PTA vs Fincher

Started by meatball, October 18, 2003, 05:35:36 PM

markums2k

I came to this forum when I found out about the Panic Room SE... and then I got sidetracked (surprise surprise)...

Anyways, Fight Club is cool as shit.  I think PTA, and all you haters, completely missed the point.  Kinda like how Kevin Smith completely missed the point of Magnolia.  Kinda like how everyone completely missed the point of Mallrats.  See?  A vicious cycle... er, wait a minute...

Nevermind.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Shaun DigiIt's in the Rolling Stone article (circa Magnolia) where he wishes testicular cancer on David Fincher.
PTA appears to be as high as a freakin' kite in that article.

"I met his mother for the first time the other night, and I said I find it very ironic that her name is Mary, considering that she gave birth to Jesus, because he is, you know?"

What the Hell is that?
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

that tom cruise is the most gifted actor he's ever worked with. that he's been making hits for THREE decades and still pulls in the chicks. that he is extremely underrated and will only be appreciated after his death.

do u always interpret 'abstract' as "high"?
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Phe is extremely underrated and will only be appreciated after his death.
Maybe so, but would you compare him to Jesus? I don't think so.

And no, I don't always interpret "abstract" as "high". I wasn't only talking about that comment in particular, but about most everything else he says in the article as well. There are interviews that read as a series of abstract comments [anything, for example, with David Lynch] and then there are interviews where the structure of the sentences tend to suggest drug-induced ranting on the part of the interviewee.

And that article was one of them.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver BulletMaybe so, but would you compare him to Jesus? I don't think so.

And no, I don't always interpret "abstract" as "high". I wasn't only talking about that comment in particular, but about most everything else he says in the article as well. There are interviews that read as a series of abstract comments [anything, for example, with David Lynch] and then there are interviews where the structure of the sentences tend to suggest drug-induced ranting on the part of the interviewee.
two things come to mind here..

1. i would gladly compare him to jesus. why should i worry that sum joyless person is gonna take everything i say seriously?

2. ur distinction between high-concept coversation and drug-induced rants is worrisome. even if he was on sumthing (what do u imagine? like coke or weed? don't tell me u think they are the same thing), it doesn't discredit his ideas on every conceivable level. a person really perked on up coffee could easily say similar things.

ur not even willing to take it as a joke, and at best, it's a matter of opinion as to his perceived mental state.
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Pubricki would gladly compare him to jesus. why should i worry that sum joyless person is gonna take everything i say seriously?
I'm no more joyless than yourself.

Quote from: Pubricka person really perked on up coffee could easily say similar things.
That's a fine point.

Quote from: Pubrickur not even willing to take it as a joke, and at best, it's a matter of opinion as to his perceived mental state.
Of course, I'm willing. I never said it wasn't funny [it was], I just said that I didn't think he was at his most...I don't know...chemically pure when he said it, or anything else, in the article. You can compare it to any of the other interviews and he's clearly at his most wired in this one.

But, yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe he was just perked up on coffee.

Joyless, he says...

:wink:
  • A hare.

NEON MERCURY

five  things:

1. its ghey to hate fight club b/c of any pta connection
2. its ghey to hate kevin smith b/c of any pta connection
3.  its ghey if you are a male and you hate sex w/ a women.
4.  its ghey if you are a female and you hate  sex w/ a guy
5.  its not ghey if you are a male and  wish ben affleck would give you an oil massage........

El Duderino

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
5.  its not ghey if you are a male and  wish ben affleck would give you an oil massage........

in that case.....
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

mr_boz

i thought FIGHT CLUB was totally over-rated.  interesting for one viewing, but i felt 0 compulsion to sit through it more than once.  fincher's use of inserts is cool though.
--ccb

private witt

How is it irresponsible to make a film that truely looks at the causes of violence in America?  Bowling for Columbine asked questions but didn't attempt to really answer them.  Fight Club is one of the smartest films ever made.  It looks at more seperate issues and ties them all together into the most beautifully filmed theusus on human phycology ever conceived.  I've seen Chuck P. speak and he only wants to make taboo things like cancer be ok by making light of them.  It's not that the people who have cancer are funny, it's the bullshit support group mentality that they all desperately cling to instead of being with people that really matter.  It's a religeon and it's a cult.  Anyone that submits to Groupthought deserves to be made fun of, especially in public.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

RegularKarate

Quote from: private wittFight Club is one of the smartest films ever made... the most beautifully filmed theusus on human phycology ever conceived.

You should see more movies... Fight Club is good and all, but it's far from the "most beautifuly filmed theusus on human phycology" ever made.

Quote from: private wittAnyone that submits to Groupthought deserves to be made fun of, especially in public.

That's some tasty bullshit.  You're pretty close-minded to make a blanket statement like that.  

I find there to be some serious problems with some group therapy programs, but some people work better with the support of others.  My parents belong to a "group" and they're not brainwashed.

I also know some people that go to this group called "church" and while plenty of them are complete idiots, a lot of them can accomplish individual thought while still belonging to the group.

Something Spanish

not to mention a lot of people who attend support groups ( esp/ the ones in fight club) have no family to spend their dying days with. chloe alone at home with lubricants...meat loaf whose family won't speak with him b/c his steroid abuse...so yeah. open your effing eyez dude.

private witt

Whoooa, guys, calm down.  No need to get all personel.  There are women out there for you to be intimate with, trust me.  I'm be with one right now.  Blonde, 115 lbs. and tits like a thirteen year old.  I'll be photographing her with her clothes off soon here.  So, like, lighten up.  PTAs great but he's no Fincher.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

RegularKarate

Two little things:

1. I wasn't being "personel".  You made a closeminded statement, I was just calling you on it.  No big deal.

Quote from: private wittPTAs great but he's no Fincher.

If you want people to "lighten up", you shouldn't make statements like this.  I'm sure you like tits and violence more than vivid emotion and brilliant dialogue, but this statement is a little daft.

Myxo

Paul Thomas Anderson..

Hard Eight: Written and directed by PTA.
Boogie Nights: Written and directed by PTA.
Magnolia: Written and directed by PTA.
Punch Drunk Love: Written and directed by PTA.

David Fincher

Alien 3: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
Seven: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
The Game: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
Fight Club: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)
Panic Room: Directed by DF (Somebody else wrote it)

David Fincher might be a great director, but until he can manage to come up with a great film that he's written and directed, he will never ever be in the same category as Paul Thomas Anderson.