INQUIRIES

Started by 03, September 20, 2004, 10:28:10 PM

this is for film questions that don't really necessitate their own thread.
ie:
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
see?
i'd like recommendations for good films that involve photographers; less 'Pecker' or 'Snapshots', more 'Elephant' 'Blow-up' & 'Cidade de Deus'. if this is dumb, lock it.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

i've been wonndering for a while some filmthings but have never had the guts to ask, until now:

a) what are the most honest and touching coming-of-age films evr made?

b) what's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?

c) if you're american, name films that've made you proud of being one.

and another one:

which film contains the most interesting structure you've seen thus far?   say why if you like.
context, context, context.

ono

Quote from: cronopioI've always wondered two things but never have had the guts to ask, until now:
a) what are the more honest and touching coming-of-age films evr made?
Amelie, Rushmore, Ghost World.  All for obvious reasons.  It's funny how so many films can be classified as "coming of age."
Quoteb) what's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?
I'm no special effects whore, so I really wouldn't know.
Quotec) if you're american, name films that've made you proud of being one.
Independence Day.  'Course, that was back when I didn't know crap about movies.
Quotewhich film contains the most interesting structure you've seen thus far?   say why if you like.
Slacker, Memento, Pulp Fiction, Vivre sa vie, Poison, 21 Grams, Kill Bill, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Schizopolis, Go, The Royal Tenenbaums, Morvern Callar, julien donkey-boy, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown (notice a pattern here?).  And not saying I like any of these, though I don't really hate any of them.  I won't say why I like or hate any of them, because that will take pages, and I doubt anyone cares right now.  Their structures are simply noteworthy.  A lot of these have more dynamic, innovative structures, which should be more obvious.  Some simply are marked for their organization, for their changes, their bookmarks, if you will.  Shifts in tone with the aid of title cards, for example, are the only thing that really marks these films.  PTA is king of this.  Vivre sa vie does this with cards and numbers.  Schizopoils just with numbers, but it works so well because of the shifts visible.

Myxo

Quote from: cronopioa) what are the most honest and touching coming-of-age films evr made?

Almost Famous gets my vote. Does E.T. qualify as a coming of age film?

Quote from: cronopiob) what's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?

Well, this is a harder question. People are always pushing the limits of special effects. All of the Matrix films have been off the chart. I thought the Lord of the Rings trilogy was a triumph as well.

Quote from: cronopioc) if you're american, name films that've made you proud of being one.

Quote from: cronopioand another one:

which film contains the most interesting structure you've seen thus far?   say why if you like.

Mulholland Drive & Pulp Fiction stand out here for me.

cine

Quote from: ono.
Quote from: cronopiowhat's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?
Independence Day.

lamas

Quote from: cronopio

ono

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: cronopiowhat's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?
Independence Day.
Quote from: ono. then went on and 'Course, that was back when I didn't know crap about movies.
Plus, it did make me "proud to be American."  You wouldn't know anything about that, ya dirty Canadian.  ;)

gracias macguffalupagus & neonic mercutio.
regarding technical innovation: the works of timothy & stephen quay.

SiliasRuby

Plus, it did make me "proud to be American."  You wouldn't know anything about that, ya dirty Canadian.  ;)
Ooooo, snap.   :lol: ....sorry I'm in a jolly mood tonight.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Vile5

Quote from: cronopioa) what are the most honest and touching coming-of-age films evr made?

Quote from: cronopiob) what's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?

Quote from: cronopioand another one:

and
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Quote from: Vile5

:(

picolas

Quote from: 03:(
:yabbse-expandonthat:

pete

a) what are the most honest and touching coming-of-age films evr made?
ping pong

b) what's the most technically-innovative film made 'til now?
sunrise

do the right thing

and another one:
to live, because it begins and ends each era with a tragedy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton