Flaming Lips

Started by Plagiarhythm, March 05, 2003, 08:25:20 PM

Plagiarhythm

how the hell did these guys not get even a nomination for best alternative album at this year's grammys (however the fuck you spell it) there is something rotten in denmark. :x
"There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
- Jean-Luc Godard

[Scorsese on sports] "Anything with a ball, no good."

"Anyone who has ever been privileged to direct a film also knows that, although it can be like trying to write 'War and Peace' in a bumper car in an amusement park, when you finally get it right, there are not many joys in life that can equal the feeling."
-Stanley Kubrick

Ernie

I love "She don't use jelly" or whatever, their big hit. That song rocks. There's a few other spngs I like...can't think of their names right now. Definitely a cool little weird band.

BonBon85

I love "Do you Realize," but cringe at some of the lyrics. Music is excellent, though.

av8raaron

I like some of the stuff off of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" like Fight Test.  The rest is noise.
Fresh buttered toast.

bonanzataz

They opened for and played with beck on halloween. Front row seats, best show I've ever been to, and I've been to a few.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Bud_Clay

I really like 2 songs off their new album a lot...however i cant stand the album that "she dont use jelly" is on....i bought that album interested in hearing the original (because i enjoy the ben folds five version quite a bit) and i was very disappointed.

oh well...they've changed a lot since then it seems.

life_boy

I was listening to their song "Bad Days" and realized that was in a movie but I can't remember what movie.  Can someone help sove this little problem for me?  It seems like a Coen movie but I'm not sure.  I can't remember!  Aaaaaaagggghhhh!

Anyway, here's some of the lyrics.

"You're sorta stuck where you are
But, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,
or live on mars
and have it your way

And you hate your boss at your job
well in your dreams you can blow his head off
in your dreams
show no mercy"

Ghostboy

Well, it's not a Coen movie...it's a Schumacher movie! Batman Forever, to be exact.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Plagiarhythmhow the hell did these guys not get even a nomination for best alternative album at this year's grammys (however the fuck you spell it) there is something rotten in denmark. :x

I'm from Denmark and it is pretty rotten! Yeah, I totally agree with you. That is very weird. Yoshimi....was pretty alternative :-D I especially loved that track "fight test" :)

life_boy

Quote from: GhostboyWell, it's not a Coen movie...it's a Schumacher movie! Batman Forever, to be exact.

Are you serious?!?!?  Damn, and an Akiva Goldsman script.  I'm not sure why I thought Coens.  Anyway, thanks for helping me out.

ProgWRX

Yoshimi Battles the pink robots is an EXCELLENT modern progressive rock concept album.

8)
-Carlos

RegularKarate

These guys are from my home town (there aren't that many bands that have made it from there, so that's saying something) so I might be a little biased, but I really love them...  I'm really glad that they're starting to get popular, it's taken them a real long time.

I think "Do You Realize?" might be the best song from last year.

phil marlowe

Love 'em. Haven't heard much from the new album but The Soft Bulletin is a masterpiece.

Pubrick

Quote from: Phil MarloweThe Soft Bulletin is a masterpiece.
indeed.

--end discussion.--
under the paving stones.

Mesh

Quote from: P
Quote from: Phil MarloweThe Soft Bulletin is a masterpiece.

indeed.

Agreed.  An outright 90s all-time classic.

Quote from: P--end discussion.--

Not quite.  I might go so far as to say the Lips are the single best American band of the last 15 years.  Tell me who's made more flat-out great albums......