Comic Books / Graphic Novels

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, March 15, 2006, 12:33:34 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: pete on March 17, 2006, 03:27:48 PM
are you a real girl?  'cause if you are but you hang out on xixax and you read comics, then you might be the one for MOST OF US.

To hell with the comics, she had me at:

Quote from: sheshothim on March 10, 2006, 12:44:31 PMI love Star Wars. It's a passion.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sheshothim

Oh Star Wars! Don't even get me started.

Right after I marry John Williams I'm going to move to a different country and marry Harrison Ford so John doesn't find out. Sorry fellas.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Pubrick

i think i saw an episode of MTV's 'Real Life' with you and your pals on it. you talked a bit much, congrats on the win tho.
under the paving stones.

sheshothim

Quote from: Pubrick on March 18, 2006, 05:35:13 AM
i think i saw an episode of MTV's 'Real Life' with you and your pals on it. you talked a bit much, congrats on the win tho.

I'm going to have to look that up or something because I have no clue what it means........haha! I am sloooowwww....
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Spurred on by this thread, I bought a couple of graphic novels.  I got:

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art, by Scott McCloud

and

The Sandman: Endless Nights, by Neil Gaiman.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Ginger on March 19, 2006, 10:40:47 PM
The Sandman: Endless Nights, by Neil Gaiman.

I recommend Sandman: Dream Hunters if you haven't read it.

polkablues

Quote from: Ginger on March 19, 2006, 10:40:47 PM
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art, by Scott McCloud

Everyone in the world should read this book.  It's that good.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Batwoman Is Back As a Lesbian

NEW YORK (AP) -- Years after she first emerged from the Batcave, Batwoman is coming out of the closet. DC Comics is resurrecting the classic comic book character as a lesbian, unveiling the new Batwoman in July as part of an ongoing weekly series that began this year.

The 5-foot-10 superhero comes with flowing red hair, knee-high red boots with spiked heels, and a form-fitting black outfit.

"We decided to give her a different point of view," explained Dan DiDio, vice president and executive editor at DC. "We wanted to make her a more unique personality than others in the Bat-family. That's one of the reasons we went in this direction."

The original Batwoman was started in 1956, and killed off in 1979. The new character will share the same name as her original alter ego, Kathy Kane. And the new Batwoman arrives with ties to others in the Gotham City world.

"She's a socialite from Gotham high society," DiDio said. "She has some past connection with Bruce Wayne. And she's also had a past love affair with one of our lead characters, Renee Montoya."

Montoya, in the "52" comic book series, is a former police detective. Wayne, of course, is Batman's true identity -- but he has disappeared, along with Superman and Wonder Woman, leaving Gotham a more dangerous place.

The "52" series is a collaboration of four acclaimed writers, with one episode per week for one year. The comics will introduce other diverse characters as the story plays out.

"This is not just about having a gay character," DiDio said. "We're trying for overall diversity in the DC universe. We have strong African-American, Hispanic and Asian characters. We're trying to get a better cross-section of our readership and the world."

The outing of Batwoman created a furor of opinions on Web sites devoted to DC Comics. Opinions ranged from outrage to approval. Others took a more tongue-in-cheek approach to the announcement.

"Wouldn't ugly people as heroes be more groundbreaking?" asked one poster. "You know, 200-pound woman, man with horseshoe hair loss pattern, people with cold sores, etc.?"

DiDio asked that people wait until the new Batwoman's appearance in the series before they pass judgment.

"You know what? Judge us by the story and character we create," he said. "We are confident that we are telling a great story with a strong, complex character."

DiDio spent most of the morning fielding phone calls from media intrigued by the Batwoman reinvention.

"It's kind of weird," he said. "We had a feeling it would attract some attention, but we're a little surprised it did this much."

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I still haven't finished any of the graphic novels that I said I would start, but I started David Boring by Daniel Clowes...very cool.
WWPTAD?

sheshothim

For some reason I can't picture Batwoman as anything but a lesbian. I don't really know why...it just suits her. Sometimes I don't like it when old characters turn gay. I'm not saying I'm against it, it just bothers me. I get upset, like, they weren't supposed to be that way. But not with Batwoman. Like I said...it suits her.

MacGuffin

It's a Marvel: Spidey Unmasks
Source: Los Angeles Times

Behind the 'Spider' mask, he's just Peter Parker.

Forty-four years after first donning a mask, Spider-Man takes it off in public in a comic book that hits stores today.

In the book, the second issue of "Civil War," Spider-Man, Captain America and other familiar heroes in Marvel Comics are struggling not with villains but with federal legislation requiring that they register and reveal their identities. That federal crackdown begins after hundreds of children are killed at an elementary school when a battle between heroes and villains spills onto their campus.

In the issue now on sale, Spider-Man is the first major hero to acquiesce, pulling off his mask at a Washington news conference. Captain America, meanwhile, goes underground and leads a faction of heroes who believe the government has gone too far.

The government versus masked men theme has become a staple of superhero lore (it was memorably defined by "The Watchmen" comics in the 1980s but was recently made far more famous by "The Incredibles" and "X-Men" films) but with Spider-Man revealing to the world that his real name is Peter Parker, Marvel is sacrificing one of the core components of its most famous character's mythology.

It is also creating a major divide between the comic-book continuity and the hit Hollywood franchise.

"It can be very intimidating if you don't know where the story is going or how it ends; we do, so we're just excited about where it takes us and the story possibilities it offers," Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor-in-chief, said Wednesday.

He also promised that Marvel won't be backing-off of Spidey's big revelation by zapping the public with a forget-me ray or saying the press conference was a dream or a hoax.

"We won't be pulling a Bobby Ewing with this."

Skeleton FilmWorks

sheshothim