Author Topic: The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread  (Read 278794 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1309
Re: The Master
« Reply #1680 on: September 19, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »
Wow. There are no words for that. I imagine this article will get taken down, since it's entirely debunked even in its own comments section. This goes beyond proofreading. Mod, straighten them out!
"Hunger is the purest sin"

P Heat

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1681 on: September 19, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »
"The Master" website should  have a list of places that will play the movie in 70mm at least once. I'm thinking of going to an empty 50 year old theater nearby that is going to show it throughout the weekend but I know its not gonna be 70mm. Ooo well.  They should like play the movie in a bootleg 70mm and show it in iMax screens ahaha.
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
  :P

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1397
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #1682 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
+2
Anyway, we should probably clarify the controversy here. I don't think The Playlist actually made that claim. I mean, correct me if I missed it, but I don't think they did.

Playlist headline: Paul Thomas Anderson Says The Playlist Named 'The Master'

No mention of Variety.  They even referenced C&RV as corroborators without pointing out the conflict of interest of mod writing for both sites.  Shenanigans! I call.

The headline makes me want to punch a basket of kittens. It's completely unfounded and they ran it as a headline.

Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.
Every perspective is an act of creation.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1817
« Reply #1683 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
+1
I'd also like to file a journalistic malpractice claim on the use of the phrase "Who woulda thunk?"  That to me is the most offensive part of this whole situation.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

jenkins

• Respect: +1397
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #1684 on: September 19, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
+1
I ain't even gonna address the growing prevalence of southern colloquialisms ya'll. Saving my vitriol for justice!
Every perspective is an act of creation.

Kellen

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +60

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +973
« Reply #1686 on: September 19, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
Yeah, that was a really insightful article.

and Jesus Christ does Fiona look like the Pet Sematary lady in that picture at the top

You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

Ghostboy

• Admin
  • Respect: +377
    • http://www.road-dog-productions.com/
« Reply #1687 on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
Great, now I'm not gonna be able to return to this thread until it shifts to another page on account of all my old nightmares being brought back by that picture....

Stefen

• smh
  • Respect: +191
« Reply #1688 on: September 20, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »
+1
Great, now I'm not gonna be able to return to this thread until it shifts to another page on account of all my old nightmares being brought back by that picture....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Kellen

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #1689 on: September 20, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

HeywoodRFloyd

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #1690 on: September 20, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
+1

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +973
« Reply #1691 on: September 20, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
Quote from:  
Roger Ebert - INVALIDATED ..again

I so wanna read it, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow, if that. I've already read one negative review by an ignoramus, so the last thing I need is someone whose opinion I respect ( less and less these days ) to rip apart a movie I haven't even seen. I really could give a fuck what Ebert thinks at this point. He's so late to the game. The only mention I saw of this film on his twitter was when he called it PTA's "Scientology film" or "takedown" or something of that nature, and linked to a year old article speculating about it. That's not a true fan, you gotta stay on top of your shit as a film critic, and especially as someone who claims that PTA is one of his favorite filmmakers. Like most people, he must've been expecting more 'scientology' out of it and didn't get what we wanted, so he left confused. He eventually changed his mind about 'The Shining' and 'Magnolia' and elevated them to 'Great movie' status, but you know what? The guy gave Ted 3 1/2 stars, so as far as I'm concerned, he can eat cock.
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #1692 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
+1
A quote from James Gray about Joaquin and the way he "puts himself in the movies"; it's from an old Masterclass. Joaquin Phoenix is still here, but I think he doesn't exist.

"He puts himself in the movies in such a way that...I mean he's very close to mental illness. And I say that not as a joke. It's like: you walk down the street and for months he will be one person, and then you'll see him again and he'll talk with you in a totally different way. Which guy are you ? Are you Joaquin ? Are you the character or what's happening ? And he's like: What's the problem ? He doesn't even get it."
I'm so many people.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1309
« Reply #1693 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:42 PM »
I think he put Magnolia at #2 for 1999, behind Being John Malkovich. He said later that he would move Three Kings to the top. Don't ask how I remember this.

Ebert isn't horrible or anything, just sometimes wrong. It's hard to be heartbroken over one of his reviews anymore; I'm used to it. For example, he hasn't given a 4-star rating to a Lars Von Trier movie since Breaking The Waves, and he gave Dogville 2 stars. He essentially hated Lost Highway and Blue Velvet. CMBB and PDL both got 3.5 stars.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Pozer

• Respect: +135
« Reply #1694 on: September 20, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Quote from:  
Roger Ebert - INVALIDATED ..again

I so wanna read it

it's not very good and proves indeed that merely slapping 2 1/2 stars onto this "fabulously well-acted and crafted" movie after his one viewing is not very smart. if only he watched it at that early chicago screening then saved his review for after toronto. probably would have up'd it to his safe 3.5.

CMBB and PDL both got 3.5 stars.

the half a star missing on cmbb was for lack of womens in the film i recall.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy