The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Pas

I've never seen The Shining.

I've never seen either Rocky or Rambo even though I really liked the new Rocky Balboa and that modern Rambo.

I've never seen Dogville or any Lars Von Trier for that matter.

I've seen 65 minutes of Boogie Nights and turned it off.

Never seen a single frame of The Shawshank Redemption (wtf?!)

I don't think I've ever seen Pulp Fiction, not sure though might've been really, really wasted.

Never seen It's A Wonderful Life and I have a huge poster of it in my living room. Same thing for Bullit.

Turned off Taxi Driver, thought it was boring.

That's about the worst of it... sorry guys.

pete

I haven't seen most movies.
but currently two friends are giving me a lot of shit - one for never seeing the godfather trilogy and the other for slumdog millionaire.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

this thread will change the way we see everyone! already i'm speechless.

what a way to kick it off, pas, i have to wonder why have you been posting here all these years?? :shock:
and pete! slumdog is shit but the godfather (the FIRST ONE, at least) is essential viewing.

i would ban you all, but then i've never seen Casablanca.

or as i like to think of it "who the hell cares about this movie anymore, seriously, other than Brian Atene?"
under the paving stones.

Captain of Industry

Gone with the Wind.  I guess it's owing to a childhood aversion to romance movies, and I haven't yet corrected the matter as an adult.

I've never seen Slumdog either, and I'm not really embarrassed about it, but maybe I would be if I saw it and really liked it.  The same with these movies:  The Lives of Others, The Pianist, Das Boot, Life is Beautiful, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Gandhi, Patton.  All movies I assume aren't as good as their reputations imply.

Pas

Quote from: P on April 28, 2010, 12:35:00 PM
what a way to kick it off, pas, i have to wonder why have you been posting here all these years?? :shock:

Haha well you have to remember that you guys got here via PTA, whereas I got here by searching "how to steal dvds" on google.

socketlevel

godfather two is just as essential, if not more so.

when i first saw taxi driver when i was 17 i felt the same way pas, i've gone back to it a few times. the first being early in my twenties and i drastically changed my perspective. i still think it is an overrated film. it's a great movie, just not a masterpiece.

rambo "the first blood" is great, but if you like the modern incarnation then you probably won't like it. it's like the taxi driver version of rambo lol. it really is.

meh rocky you can pass over, it doesn't age well.

you should be shot and publicly raped for not seeing the shining.
the one last hit that spent you...

Alexandro

Yes, The Godfather...wow pete...I don't know if I should envy you actually, because you still can watch the godfather for the first time, which you should be doing like, right now. it may not be the best film in the history of cinema, but it kicks some major ass. number 2 is the same.

Gone with the Wind is no romance movie (!!)...

I don't know if i'd be embarrassed to admit anything now, but i guess I feel bad I've never seen many of the Chaplin classics like The Gold Rush or the complete The kid...I haven't seen any complete Buster Keaton, never seen Griffith's Intolerance or any other Griffith except Birth of a Nation for that matter (except parts here and there)....

socketlevel

oh and P go see casablanca.  I was like you for many years just nothing really pulling me to see it. i thought it was what it was. it wasn't till after it was over i realized how magical it was. it's just kinda flawless. about 7 years ago i saw it casually... so one night if you're chilling with some arty chicks, throw it on. it's the perfect movie to watch with girls and if you're having a generally content night. i think i saw it perfectly for that reason.

to each his own, but it's that kinda movie for me.

socketlevel

i haven't seen ben hur or lawrence of arabia in entirety.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 01:07:22 PM

No shit?  I always thought it was, and then I really thought it was when that AFI list came out, remember, and people were saying "Well look here, the three greatest movies of all time are all about love:  Citizen Kane (sentimental), Godfather (family), Gone with the Wind (romantic)."
never seen Griffith's Intolerance or any other Griffith except Birth of a Nation for that matter (except parts here and there)....

I'm sure you can find your own way with Chaplin and Keaton; with Griffith I recommend next either his Biograph shorts or Orphans of the Storm.

Quote from: socketlevel on April 28, 2010, 01:12:59 PM
oh and P go see casablanca. ... it's just kinda flawless

Agreed.  It's the peak of moviemagic (though I've never seen Gone with the Wind).

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

Yes. casablanca is awesome but has no "cool" cred because it's a square classic or something, but really, a lot of 40's movies are incredible like that without stop being completely uncool.

I guess the romantic tag on Gone with the Wind is there so it can be categorized somewhere...but it's actually a "portrait of the south during the civil war"...as a romance it's pretty frustrating...

Lawrence of Arabia is a magnificent thing, I'm eagerly awaiting a blu ray.

taxi driver was boring to me when I saw it at 14...also revisited in my 20's and though it was incredible. one of the best, scariest films around. and de niro is DE NIRO in it.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 01:07:22 PM

No shit?  I always thought it was, and then I really thought it was when that AFI list came out, remember, and people were saying "Well look here, the three greatest movies of all time are all about love:  Citizen Kane (sentimental), Godfather (family), Gone with the Wind (romantic)."

Fact checked myself.  Gone with the Wind is #4 and the romantic film was Casablanca.  My bad.

Not only have I never seen GwtW, but I apparently know absolutely nothing about it.

Stefen

We're going to be the laughing stock of the nerdy underground film circle of the internets.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Captain of Industry

I haven't seen the following movies from the AFI Top 100 list:  Gone with the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Some Like it Hot, Best Years of Our Lives, West Side Story, Butch Cassidy, From Here to Eternity, All Quiet on the Western Front, Sound of Music, MASH, Tootsie, Manchurian Candidate, An American in Paris, Shane, Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights, Giant, Mutiny on the Bounty, Patton, Jazz Singer, My Fair Lady, A Place in the Sun, Unforgiven, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Additions to 2008 list I haven't seen:  Cabaret, In the Heat of the Night, Swing Time, Sophie's Choice.

I feel horrible about myself.