Mystic River

Started by MacGuffin, August 25, 2003, 04:47:15 PM

cine

Seeing this on sunday before a Copperfield show. I'm looking forward to it, and I hope its a big oscar contender with all this Valenti shit going on with the indie films. Eastwood's movie would calm me down if it was nominated for a lot of awards.
I hate Jack Valenti...

NEON MERCURY

..damn how does this have only three pages and texas chainsaw REMAKE! have 7?.....

but i saw this and penn kicks ass his best film..(in terms of acting) to date ...

SPOILER:(highlight text)
:arrow: the scene where the cops are holding back penn  from seeing his daughter is incredible....

Cecil

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Cecili thought it sucked

..Y?

Cecil

rubbish. hated most of the acting.

NEON MERCURY

::sticks a sunflower seed under his left eyelid::

..i see what you mean.it  did drag in some parts.

IMO i thought the story  (itself) was average..its the acting that carried a decent script...

edison

This is one of my favorites of the year, I like how it took its time, didnt rush or anything. Penn really kicked ass in this, well pretty much everyone did. The whole climax part really had me going, i knew what was going to happen but i was hoping it wouldnt, very sad.

Cecil

Quote from: EEz28I like how it took its time, didnt rush or anything

that i actually liked (admired)

soixante

I get the feeling this film will grow on me.  I remember I wasn't blown away by Unforgiven the first time I saw it, but then I watched it on video 3 years after its release, and it really clicked for me.  Maybe Mystic River will do the same.  I liked all the acting, and I liked the understated direction, but the story became too much of a murder mystery and guessing game, and less character-driven than I expected.  A second viewing is probably in order.
Music is your best entertainment value.

ShanghaiOrange

It was really food, but it should have ended 10 minutes earlier.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Teen Wolf

Don't you mean good?

RegularKarate

I saw this last weekend... I guess I didn't post anything... I forget why.

I liked it... didn't think it was fantastic, but it was still pretty damn good.  
I agree that some of the dialogue was really literary.  Which really only makes it old-fashioned.  Movies used to be like that more often.
****SPOILERS*****

Every says that it should have ended 10 minutes earlier and as far as the film goes on the surface, I agree (I especially didn't like the line "I feel like all of us got in that car"), but that last ten minutes made me feel like there was something else entirely going on in that film.  So much so that I'd like to see it again to find out if I can pick up on it some more.  

I don't know... maybe I'm crazy... or, quite possibly stupid, maybe eveyone else saw it too and I'm just dumb for not picking up on it sooner.

coffeebeetle

I thought this movie was fantastic.  Solid performances from the whole cast, and a very solid story.  I felt like I knew these people...I could have kept watching it too.  I was particularly fond of the way Eastwood ended it (with Bacon covering up Penn's "indiscretion").

My only beef with Mystic was the Bacon love thread (the woman repeatedly calling him...part of me thinks I should see this film again in the hope that it may sink in and feel "right" in the story) but I suppose it was there to add depth to his character so he's not just some plot contrivance (i.e. cop on the case deal)...

I hope this film wins the Oscar.  I'm done rambling now.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyIt succeeded largely where I thought In The Bedroom Failed

I can't believe you said that. I think the exact opposite.

Quote from: Cecilhated most of the acting.

The accents slaughtered all of the performances except Sean Penn & Kevin Bacon.

NEON MERCURY

..As far as the accents go..linney was th eoly one that was ..slightly annoying.