American Splendor

Started by dufresne, July 18, 2003, 02:55:37 AM

dufresne

judging from the trailer, this one looks pretty good.  it won the grand jury prize at Sundance...anyone heard any buzz? opens in a month.  i'd like to see how they portray Robert Crumb's character...

trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/american_splendor/

There are shadows in life, baby.

Ghostboy

The buzz is fantastic. I can't wait to see it.

chainsmoking insomniac

Oh yeah, I saw a trailer for this.  This looks fantastic.  Has any seen the documentary on Crumb?  I believe (and don't quote me on this) it was on Sundance....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

rustinglass

It does look good

I can't wait
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

modage

yeah i want to see this.  but doesnt it kind of seem like its been covered by terry zwigoff?  crumb meets ghost world?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

i cant fucking wait!!!!!!!!!!

Ghostboy

Crumb is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. American Splendor may have some similarities to it in subject matter, but since this is a different person, and since the movie is partially a dramatic narrative, I think there won't really be much of a sense of been-there-done-that.

Rudie Obias

this film was made in cleveland i was lucky enough to intern for it.  yep, answering phones, filing and cleaning toilets, what a glamorous life it is to be part of movie magic!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pubrick

am i the first to see this? looks like it..

first thing i thought of, i've found the perfect depiction of budgie on film:

fantastic performances, after this paul giamatti will never be "that pig guy from howard stern movie". amazing, how they cut back to the real footage of his first letterman appearance, and then his last. wow. it helps that i'm too young or uncool to know most of this, and there's plenty of great one liners like when joyce/budgie (above) goes "Why does everything in my life hav to be such a complicated disaster?!", u really believe her frustration. it's a film about little things, which is what i understand the comics were about, little things that make life real. the performances are perfectly nuanced. kudos to ted hope, it's a labor of love that actually keeps the love intact and doesn't translate to sweetness.

budgie and lover.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Can't wait for this now...

snaporaz

looks very rad. very doubtful it will play in my area, though.  :(

they could've gotten a guy that looks more like a pussy to play crumb, but his voice is dead-on.

also, it's cool to finally see giamatti playing a critical performance. if he wasn't the main chareacter, i bet his talent in this picture would be worthy of the academy. even though i haven't seen the movie, i just have that feeling.

oh yeah, i'll probably be in austin in a couple weeks, so i might see it there.  :-D

filmcritic

I heard an interview yesterday on Fresh Air interviewing the real Harvey and Joyce. Very interesting...
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Pubrick

Quote from: filmcriticI heard an interview yesterday on Fresh Air interviewing the real Harvey and Joyce. Very interesting...
yeah dude, they appear in the movie. he narrates the damn thing.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

The movie's excellent. I interviewed everybody. Go to:

http://movienavigator.org/splendorpress.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: TOBY RADLOFFAnd a third film which I did that's available through Lurid.com called Townies, where I play an eccentric bum who finds a dead woman's body in a Dumpster. And I make love to the corpse. I do it in a tasteful manner."
hahaha.

also, 'everybody' minus hope davis. weird pic of her. sum nice quotes tho. would be so cool if Giamatti got oscar recognition for it. now i'm off to find that bootleg letterman footage.
under the paving stones.