Romeo + Juliet

Started by bonanzataz, May 02, 2003, 08:01:19 PM

bonanzataz

so, my school is doing a production of romeo and juliet set in a modern day catholic high school with a live rock band in the background. i'm soundboard operator and must have seen them rehearse 20 times and i kept thinking how much better the baz luhrmann version was. so i rented it and i still really like it. it's a good production. what does everybody else think of it?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

oakmanc234

Luhrmann's version is brilliant. Truly excellent. Acting, sound, fury, emotion, design, all top notch. At least thats how I see it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Cecil

same here. truly brilliant. i have not seen strictly ballroom yet. how is it?

Jeremy Blackman

Strictly Ballroom is boring.

I love Romeo + Juliet. Just look how many modernized Shakespeare movies it has inspired. Great great stuff.. mmm.. I should buy that DVD...

Although... Claire Danes really disappointed me. Natalie Portman would have been perfect for the role. (they thought she was too young... pfft...)

Ernie

I want to see it again...I remember fucking loving it...the energy and everything. And how can you not love "love fool", that is the best song ever...I love how they put it in there.

I don't like Moulin Rouge though. It's just way too damn much for me,, you know? Too cartoonish.

RegularKarate

I just saw it in the theaters and I remember hating it.

Though, I was going through my "I'm sick of all this bullshit" stage at the time and it came around during the peak of it and was just too much.

cowboykurtis

after all the rave reviews of moulin rouge i buckled down and watched it -- ive tried watching the film 3 times and cant get passed the first 30 mintues. i think baz is an unbelievale visual director. i think his style seems to fit the stories he tells -- i just can't get into his films.
...your excuses are your own...

oakmanc234

I was aggravated by all the silly 'hyper comedy' in the first few acts of 'Moulin Rouge' at first until I realised how great a tool it is for making the later drama a lot more upsetting in comparison. The tragedy/emotion hit a lot harder. If the film was straight throughout it wouldn't have been as powerful.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Ghostboy

I actually think Romeo + Juliet holds the record for the most times I've actually paid to go and watch a movie. Which is five. The reason being that I was fifteen when it came out and the overwraught emotion of it all appealed to me enormously. Plus the girl I dug at the time was totally into it, so I went to see it with her as much as I could. Nothing ever came of it. But I still like the movie a whole lot. I love all of Baz's stuff, actually. Over the top, but he pulls it off.

Redlum

Good thought on Natalie Portman playing Juliet, JB. She (like a lot of other things) is completely wasted in the teenage romance in Star Wars.

This thread reminds me how much of a damn injustice it was that Baz wasn't nominated for best director for MR.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Alethia

i remember really liking it as well, but im not sure if i like it better than zefferelli's.  maybe i should watch it again, it's been a while...

Redlum

Quote from: ewardi remember really liking it as well, but im not sure if i like it better than zefferelli's.  maybe i should watch it again, it's been a while...

Yeah. Hmm, I kind of preffered the traditional sword fights.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

USTopGun47

I hate Baz Luhrman and his production of Romeo and Juliet.  Too much and too flashy.  Just because it's contemporary doesn't mean its that original.  How in depth is the sword idea really?  It's all cheap eye candy to me.   :evil:
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

godardian

Quote from: USTopGun47I hate Baz Luhrman

I second that. Being hyper and overexcitable does not a fresh or innovative director make. I look at Luhrmann's films, and Guy Ritchie's, and just think they have short attention spans and little flair for (or knowledge of) composition, performances, mood, or pacing. Take a Ritalin and study up, guys!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

I've never seen Baz Lurhmann's version of Romeo and Juliet and part of me really doesn't want to at all. First off, the perfect version of Romeo and Juliet made film is in Franco Zeffirelli's version from 1968. That movie just serves as basic memory for me in imagining these characters. I will never forget the film and now that I think of it, I should definitely buy the dvd. Also, even though I liked Moulin Rouge for its adventurousness and felt it was a good touch to the musical to make up for the lack of dancing talent in the stars, I am cautious against seeing this made Shakespearean where it seems like a wrong fit in every way.

~rougerum