However difficult it may be, try and rank PTA's films.

Started by TheImaginator16, March 08, 2014, 05:10:32 AM

N

Quote from: Fernando on March 09, 2014, 12:44:38 PM
1. Lancaster Dodd
3. Scotty J
4. Phil Parma
5. Dean Trumbell
6. Young Craps Player

I fucking hate that he is gone

So is #2 Caden?
I'm confused.

TheImaginator16

That's a pretty efficient system. Thank you for clearing  things up for me   :yabbse-smiley:
I look forward to posting and discussing things with you guys, now that I've been put on the proper path.
Nice list too btw. 

Fernando

Quote from: N on March 10, 2014, 06:30:35 PM
Quote from: Fernando on March 09, 2014, 12:44:38 PM
1. Lancaster Dodd
3. Scotty J
4. Phil Parma
5. Dean Trumbell
6. Young Craps Player

I fucking hate that he is gone

So is #2 Caden?
I'm confused.

I'm probably falling into a trap but...

number 2 is obviously chere mill, since PSH didn't have a part it's blank.

N

Oh... right.
For some reason I thought you were listing PSH's best roles in general.

SailorOfTheSeas

This is difficult but:

6. Hard Eight
5. Boogie Nights
4. Punch-Drunk Love
3. Magnolia
2. There Will Be Blood
1. The Master

My favourite is The Master. Probably the most perfect, layered and genius film I've seen. It's like a perfect dream that cradles and confronts every part of you. Freddie Quell and Lancaster Dodd are two of my favourite fictional characters, and two of the best performances I've ever seen. I might post a piece on it soon. Not a "definitive" narrow analysis, but just my personal exploration of its intricacies.

Hard Eight is in no way a less than very good film, and is only my least favourite because it is among such strong competition. There Will Be Blood, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights are pretty much inter-changeable.

modage

I'm going to guess that you are young. True/false?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SailorOfTheSeas

Mel

I don't like list as such, but will share some of it.

There was a time, when "Magnolia" was favorite of mine, when it comes to films overall. Since then my taste for films changed quite dramatically. I expect that discovering some films in future will affect how I perceive those seen before.

Right now my stack of PTA films is pretty much a flip of version from few years ago. "Knuckle Sandwich" took place of "Magnolia". I just prefer focused films (I feel that it is better word to describe than simple or streamlined) and enjoy quite a bit genre films. At the moment "PDL" is one of my favorite films and "Magnolia" somehow disappeared.

And I need to revisit "Sydney"...
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

modage

Quote from: SailorOfTheSeas on May 12, 2014, 05:20:34 PM
Yes, i am. What gives it away? ;)
Generally favorites are weighted towards the ones you saw first, since the newest ones are your favorites and the older ones blend together for you, that gave it away.  :yabbse-smiley:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SailorOfTheSeas

You have a good point there.

I saw them in this order, from least to most recent: There Will Be Blood, Magnolia, The Master, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, Hard Eight. I see the positive correlation between my top three and the three i saw first!

Although, if i'm honest with you, i'm pretty sure hard eight wouldn't be among my favourites of his even if i had seen it first, and only would be if i had some huge nostalgic or sentimental tie to it. i also i reckon that The Master would be my favourite even if i had seen it last, because everything about it just appeals to me and my taste. i agree with u but preferred taste plays a big role too. then again i suppose when u'r at a young and malleable age the films you see and like in those years have a big role on your preferred taste  :yabbse-wink:

Just a question. How old are most people here?

modage

Jeremy Blackman

I think many of us are 30ish and saw Magnolia in our late teens.

N

Reel

I saw it in my early teens, as a matter of fact I was 12! BOOOOOOYYYYAAAWAAAWAWWWWWAWWAAAA