The Woods

Started by squints, April 30, 2005, 02:45:43 PM

squints

So this is director Lucky Mckee's second movie...I've looked but i can't find anything on xixax about it...am i not looking hard enough? This movie stars Bruce Campbell and Patricia Clarkson a couple of my favorites
I saw May a year or so ago and I thought it was hilarious and scary and just great...
Someone point me to a Lucky Mckee/The Woods thread or tell me something i don't know
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

meatball

I can't tell you anything you don't already know, but your avatar has a repelling effect on me.

squints

i'm just mad as hell
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

deathnotronic

I was hoping this would be a biography/comedy on Tiger Woods.

I'll keep dreaming.

C'mon, he's black AND asian!

MacGuffin

Quote from: deathnotronicI'll keep dreaming.

Dream no more:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Looks black to me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ghostboy

May fans, take note: Sony's dumping Lucky McKee's sophmore film on September 16th in the following markets:

• New York
• LA
• Chicago
• Detroit
• Houston
• Dallas
• San Diego
• Phoenix
• Orlando
• Denver

modage

yeah?  i had it on my calendar as Sept. 2nd for months and just deleted it a week ago cause i couldn't find anything on the movie to show it was actually coming out this year still.  no poster, no trailer, no website.  only like 2 or 3 stills.  i think i want to see this, but i need more information...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

siiiiick. may rocked and his episode of masters of horror was pretty awesome too. i liked it a whole lot better than that moriarty/john carpenter blech (even if it had udo kier). this is never coming out, though. which i think is utter baloney.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

straight to dvd.  :yabbse-undecided:

Title: The Woods
Released: 3rd October 2006
SRP: $24.96

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced the release of Lucky McKee's horror film The Woods, which tells the story of some strange occurrences that take place in the woods surrounding an all-girls boarding school. The disc will be available on the 3rd of October at a retail price of around $24.96 and include both an anamorphic widescreen version at the film's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio and a pan & scan version, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track and optional English and French subtitles. No word on extras as of yet so stay tuned for those as well as the artwork, both of which should be along shortly.

modage

bonanzataz

i don't understand. why didn't this get a release but the covenant did? i'm sure it would have made just as much money. the covenant doesn't even have name stars while this one's got clarkson and campbell! there's an entire niche market right there. you've got a director with a cult following here. the other one just has renny harlin, who's known in horror for the shitty exorcist prequel and the pretty good nightmare on elm street 4. either way, the mainstream audience doesn't really give a shit, but big horror buffs who are very loyal to their genre would have paid for a picture that was directed by a guy with merit (ok, nightmare on elm street 4 kinda kicks ass, i really shouldn't talk shit about harlin, but still...).

i guess what the covenant had that this one didn't was cute guys remaking the craft. the teen girl factor on this one is huge. so, lucky mckee and anybody else who wants to make a horror movie that's gonna make money. not only do you need hot girls and good kills for the guys, but you need hot guys as well. good looking PEOPLE in peril here. not just girls in a mysterious boarding school. next time make it coed.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

matt35mm

Quote from: bonanzataz on September 18, 2006, 07:14:58 PM
i don't understand. why didn't this get a release but the covenant did? i'm sure it would have made just as much money. the covenant doesn't even have name stars while this one's got clarkson and campbell! there's an entire niche market right there. you've got a director with a cult following here. the other one just has renny harlin, who's known in horror for the shitty exorcist prequel and the pretty good nightmare on elm street 4. either way, the mainstream audience doesn't really give a shit, but big horror buffs who are very loyal to their genre would have paid for a picture that was directed by a guy with merit (ok, nightmare on elm street 4 kinda kicks ass, i really shouldn't talk shit about harlin, but still...).

i guess what the covenant had that this one didn't was cute guys remaking the craft. the teen girl factor on this one is huge. so, lucky mckee and anybody else who wants to make a horror movie that's gonna make money. not only do you need hot girls and good kills for the guys, but you need hot guys as well. good looking PEOPLE in peril here. not just girls in a mysterious boarding school. next time make it coed.
Well, we haven't gotten the chance to see The Woods yet.  Maybe the movie is just really terrible or something.  (EDIT: Actually, the reviews are decent at Rotten Tomatoes.)  I'm sure The Covenant is terrible too, but it probably gives stupid kids what they want.  The Woods might be one of those movies that is "boring" to those same kids (even if it's actually good).

It's not about whether or not it's good, though--it's whether or not there's an audience for it.  There was enough of an audience for The Covenant to release it theatrically.  It was produced for a specific amount of money to target a specific, dumb teenage crowd that, yup, did pony up the money to see it.  It'll probably be profitable.  And for some reason, the distributors of The Woods didn't think enough people would buy tickets to warrant them spending any money on a theatrical release.  The "horror buffs" you speak of would still know about the film and buy or rent it.  There's more money to be made on DVDs anyway.

I'm not saying I know what the decision making process was like, nor have I actually seen either of these movies.  It's just not confusing to me is all.

modage

seems like a rental.  no but seriously, this could've atleast played some festivals like May and tried to build some buzz or something.