Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

modage

not long, a few of those are on my queue right now and they're all AVAILABLE NOW.  the only things i've had a problem waiting for is the nightmare on elm streets when freddy vs jason came out.  and a few other horror movies this month that they dont have as much stock of.  all the criterion/foriegn etc. type movies i've never had to wait on.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

ok, thanks. for some reason i was getting the vibe that those films were in short supply.......so i figured all the cinephiles where renting them and there would long waits.

good then. i guess that will be a good way to check more Fellini, Godard, etc without shelling out 30-40 bucks blindly........although it's turned out quite well so far!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cine

Quote from: bigideasso i figured all the cinephiles where renting them and there would long waits.
No, not me. Because Netflix isn't in Canada. :(

Quote from: bigideasgood then. i guess that will be a good way to check more Fellini, Godard, etc
Aw, god! This is too much! Fuck Netflix for only being in the U.S. :cry: Aw, now look what you made me do, Netflix.. this is YOUR doing!

Fernando

Saw yesterday 8 1/2 for the first time, and I wish after it ended could say it was the masterpiece everyone claims to be, but didn't, though thought it was really good and beautifuly shot, but today during the morning I replayed the film in my head and it clicked, it is amazing, almost every frame of it could be in the thread of Most perfectly composed shot in movie history. A masterpiece without a doubt.

SoNowThen

Glad you liked it.

I've been doing a little mini-Fellini festival at my house, to build up to the La Strada release. So far the past week I've watched White Sheik, 8 1/2, Juliet Of The Spirits, Roma, and Amarcord. Today I watch the only Fellini film I don't love (City Of Women) but it was mostly due to the horrible transfer, so let's hope it works for me this time. And tomorrow is the last day, with the always wonderful And The Ship Sails On.

Everytime I see Amarcord, it creeps that much closer to dethroning 8 1/2 as my fav Fellini...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: SoNowThenEverytime I see Amarcord, it creeps that much closer to dethroning 8 1/2 as my fav Fellini...
Hm, I guess I should quit dickin around and buy it. I've always been [irrationally] hesitant towards Amarcord. But, if it's good enough to nearly "dethrone" 8 1/2 (which I love) then I know what my next purchase shall be.

However, I've been jonesin for La Dolce Vita. Unfortunately it's only on VHS (with two versions). I haven't heard any announcements from Criterion or any other company concerning a release on DVD. Should I go ahead and buy the VHS of LDV, or a bootleg DVD perhaps? Or should I, as my initial posts states, buy Amarcord instead?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

SoNowThen

oh good sweet holy lord yes, buy it!!!!!!

btw, the first time I saw it I was tres unimpressed. but it took the second viewing to really recognize all the characters, and now, by the fourth viewing it's pure cinematic bliss...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gamblour.

Federico Fellini's i Vitelloni will be playing in NY and San Fransisco soon:

http://www.kino.com/ivitelloni/

and there's a great trailer at http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/i_vitelloni/
WWPTAD?

Seraphim

Quote from: godardianMy favorite Fellinis: Nights of Cabiria and Amarcord.

Hmmm...more people say that (in my home country).

I've now seen 13 of Fellini's films (the ten I spoke of earlier, plus Intervista, Ginger e Fred and Fellini's last film, La Voce della Luna).

I've now almost finished my so-called "Fellini-Odyssee" and have seen all the ten films whcih were shown on German television.

I can only add two more films to those 13, so I will reach the 15.

Like I said earlier...I only have to see two of his very best films, which I have spared :-D  (La Notte di Cabiria and Amarcord)

I'm thinking of renting Le Notti di Cabiria tonight, or next week...

Later more!
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

travisbickle1000

i think my fav Fellini moment is in 'la strada' when she is walking alone down that dirt road and the three fiddle players walk right past her. some might say 'weird for the sake of being weird' but i think its beautiful for the sake of being beautiful, which is for me the meaning of felliniesque(along, of course, with with being deeply symbolic)

classical gas

his moments, scenes are certaintly beautiful.  they're not weird for the sake of being weird...did i quote you right, although i know you said someone else said it.  
i think he's the most graceful director.  his movies have such a great freedom to them.  you almost feel as if you're not watching a film sometimes, which is their appeal, at least to me.  
my favorite is la dolce vita.  that opened all new doors for me in filmmaking.  but i keep coming back to 'nights of cabiria'.  it's so great when the woman (can't spell her name)..well, cabiria, is dancing in that nightclub; sorry to be so vague.  but just to see her dance and her face sort of light up; it's great.  i wish more actresses would act with such enthusiasm and freedom.

travisbickle1000

i just watched 'barton fink' for a second time after i seeing 'la dolce vita' and i was wondering if anyone else thinks barton is pretty felliniesque? it ends with our man on the beach, it is full of strange scenes that are never fully explained, and its about making movies. i know most directors today are really influenced by fellini, but the only reason i ask this is becuase i've never heard the cohen brothers in particular cite him as an influence (maybe i'm just not paying attention :) )

godardian

Quote from: travisbickle1000i just watched 'barton fink' for a second time after i seeing 'la dolce vita' and i was wondering if anyone else thinks barton is pretty felliniesque? it ends with our man on the beach, it is full of strange scenes that are never fully explained, and its about making movies. i know most directors today are really influenced by fellini, but the only reason i ask this is becuase i've never heard the cohen brothers in particular cite him as an influence (maybe i'm just not paying attention :) )

I guess I wouldn't... there is something systematic, detached, and austere in the Coens' best work (including Fink) that you wouldn't get from Fellini. They're much less sensuous and much more intellectual.

The things you pointed out about Fink could superficially be described as Felliniesque, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

tpfkabi

yes, tim burton is a fan of Fellini....it was talked about earlier in this thread or a burton one, i can't remember
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alethia

i'm about halfway through roma right now and i really love it so far