Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

Pubrick

god, he's trying so hard.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

What's the logic behind the soaking wet cast in glad bags in front of a bright blue sky?

I say they should have taken the paisley wallpaper shot for the poster, personally.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaikusI say they should have taken the paisley wallpaper shot for the poster, personally.
yeah and milked it for all its worth (very little) before the movie is even released.

i can't wait till this crappy hype falls flat on its face and we can move onto things that deserve the attention/expectation.
under the paving stones.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: RaikusI say they should have taken the paisley wallpaper shot for the poster, personally.
yeah and milked it for all its worth (very little) before the movie is even released.

i can't wait till this crappy hype falls flat on its face and we can move onto things that deserve the attention/expectation.

Is there much hype for this film or is it all contained within this thread?

Ghostboy

The (beautiful, beautiful) cover of the latest issue of Interview proudly proclaims it as this summer's anti-blockbuster, and goes on about it inside the magazine as well.

Other than that, yeah, mostly in this thread.

tpfkabi

i don't know, the hype is pretty widespread.
i've seen it discussed on messageboards that are totally unrelated to film..........the trailer in front of ETernal Sunshine really created a buzz

any idea what kind of release it's getting?

modage

well, looks like i'm going to have to eat my words (kind of).  i saw Garden State last night in Wash DC with Mr. Zach Braff in attendance, and have to say i really enjoyed it (mostly).  i went in with relatively low expectations since i have a prejudice against anything that goes to Sundance anymore, and although the trailer looked cool, it also looked like it was trying a little too hard for that perfect wes anderson/sofia coppola mix.  but, to my surprise very quickly i found myself really enjoying the movie, and even till the last 15 minutes or so, even loving it.  

it was funny, a little sad, captured new jersey perfectly (having funny characters that didnt turn COMPLETELY into caricatures a la Napoleon Dynamite), natalie portman was as good as i've seen her in a while, (maybe ever?)  although i loved her 2 minutes in cold mountain, it was nice to see her just playing a girl from planet earth that you could actually imagine, not some otherworldy beauty.  she was very believable, and one of the biggest surprises was zach braff.  i've seen about 1 1/2 episodes of scrubs so i really didnt know him at all outside of seing him on conan once or twice but thought he did a really good job in the movie as well.  and maybe best of all the shades of those other directors from the trailer didnt end up being as distracting as i thought they might've been in the film.  (in other words: it didnt ever feel false, or like a big rip-off when i was watching it like i was afraid it might).

for me however, when they get towards the end there are a few speeches, a kiss at the wrong place!, and a rushed resolution that just didnt sit right with me.  the movie had been going along so good up until that point, taking its time, unfolding at its own leisurely pace, and it was never boring, but the end just didnt work.  

overall, it was pretty good and although not as assured as Lost in Translation or You Can Count On Me or the films he had mentioned as being sort of the what he wanted to do with this movie, it was still one my favorite things i've seen this year.  as long as you're expectations are reasonable, itll be a nice change from the barrage of disappiontment the rest of the year hath brought.  so a B/B- and a RECOMMENDED.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

that's good. i just came across the supposed soundtrack list
http://zach-braff.com/

What Songs Are On The Soundtrack & When Will It Be Released:
   August 3rd is the release date for the soundtrack. The following is a track from the soundtrack:
   Don't Panic - Coldplay
   Caring Is Creepy - The Shins
   In The Waiting Line - Zero 7
   New Slang - The Shins
   Orange Sky - Alexi Murdock
   I Just Don't Think - Colin Hay
   Lebanese Blonde - Thievery Corporation
   Blue Eyes - Cary Brothers
   Fair - Remy Zero
   One Of These Things First - Nick Drake
   The Only Living Boy In New York- Simon & Garfunkel
   Such Great Heights – Iron and Wine
   Let Go - Frou Frou
   Winding Road - Bonnie Somerville

and the new website has a blog from the director and behind the scenes

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/gardenstate/

modage

Quote from: bigideasthat's good. i just came across the supposed soundtrack list
yeah, i have about 10 of those in my iTunes under Garden State playlist right now.  i cant find the rest of them......yet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Quote from: bigideasOne Of These Things First - Nick Drake
   The Only Living Boy In New York- Simon & Garfunkel

No shit? I've got a whole lotta love for them there songs. Don't you guys go and heighten my expectations now...

Pubrick

a good, try-hard soundtrack does not a good movie make.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

this is true Yoda Pubrick, however; it does encourage me to want to see it.
i was just shocked by the double whammy of Shins' songs.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Pubricka good, try-hard soundtrack does not a good movie make.

But combined with a positive review from someone whose opinion often matches mine it sure does help.