Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

Finn

See if anybody tries to get a refund after the movie's over :lol:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

he was at my screening and mentioned wanting to make this a type of movie like lost in translation because there werent enough movies out there like that, that spoke to him and a crowd who wants to see movies like that.  but i dont really see it being that similar.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

maybe Braff just means that GS is an indie film like LiT instead of a generic big budget mainstream film.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: bigideasmaybe Braff just means that GS is an indie film like LiT instead of a generic big budget mainstream film.
But there are lots of indie films out there.
LiT had a certain atmosphere surrounding it, which FilmStudent touched on (the shoegazing thing), which I think is what Braff means. LiT was a quiet film, which is why I've heard a lot of people complain about nothing happening in it. So, I'm assuming it's similar since I haven't had the chance to see it yet, so maybe I shouldn't be talking right now. :?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Film Student

hmm...

It seems really odd to me that Braff is making the LiT comparison...  He didn't mention it at the Q&A I went to, but apparently that was the ONLY place where he didn't mention it...

Regardless, I love both Garden State and LiT and hopefully GS will attract the same kind of business that LiT did...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

El Duderino

it wont, but i have the same morsel of hope
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Film Student

Quote from: El Duderinoit wont, but i have the same morsel of hope

You're probably right, but let's hope it does at least $10 or $15 mil...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

pete

what's the name of the song in the end credits that comes on after frou frou's let go?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Recce

Stupid limited release. We're not getting it in Montreal till next Friday. Can't wait to see it. Its cool that he's a film school graduate. The teaser has convinced me to do a masters in film production. At least for now. I may change my mind when I see it.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

cine

Quote from: RecceIts cool that he's a film school graduate. The teaser has convinced me to do a masters in film production. At least for now.
What's the point? Just aim for a TV sitcom and once you're a hit off that, pitch your project. I bet it'll be much easier.

Saw this today.. quite a good movie, I think. I think it started to drag a bit near the end but nevertheless I enjoyed it very much.

I must say also.. great little bits of comedy in this movie. Unexpected little sight gags that had me laughing really loudly in the theatre.. I think at most parts I was the only one too. Kinda sad. Oh well. Great stuff.

tpfkabi

i imagine the LiT comparisons won't stop since the newest ad/trailer quotes a journalist saying, "this year's Lost in Translation."
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

pete

I saw not so much lost in translation similiarities as to just bill murray similarities.  more than a few scenes of this film had Large unenthusiastically observing the world around him, which is a very bill murray thing to do.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Can someone let me in one the Lost in Translation similarities? Because if there are any, I missed all of them.

El Duderino

Quote from: CinephileCan someone let me in one the Lost in Translation similarities? Because if there are any, I missed all of them.

ditto
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: CinephileCan someone let me in one the Lost in Translation similarities? Because if there are any, I missed all of them.

ditto

Me three.

I saw this last night, and I didn't really like it. It seemed way to aware of what it wanted to be. The movie didn't feel natural at all... it felt fake. And I really disliked the ending, I thought it was preachy and generally bad. And I didn't think the music fit. To me, it just seemed like Braff wanted to seem "cool" insted of choosing music that really worked well with the movie.

Other than that, I also just really didn't think it was funny. I laughed once or twice. I also thought he has been watching too much Wes Anderson... I mean, I love Wes and it's okay to inspire yourself from it, but some of those scenes were just blatant robbery.