Irreversible

Started by Ghostboy, February 19, 2003, 12:14:16 AM

squints

This film is incredibly hard to watch. I've had multiple friends get up and walk out when i've put it on, and i don't really blame them. But once you get past that brutal awful scene there's a whole lot of beauty in this. Especially the end, which shows definite shades of whats to come in Enter the Void.

One of the things I really found interesting about this is that in roger ebert's review he totally misinterpreted what happens. Like this jarring opening really fucked with him. He calls the film a "revenge movie in reverse" but completely misses that fact that the person who committed the crime gets off completely unpunished, and like Reelist said, I think that's one of the most important things/themes that the film has going for it.

Has anyone else seen Carne or I stand alone? i've seen I stand alone but not Carne, wasn't too happy with it though. it has much fewer redeeming qualities than Irreversible or Enter the Void.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

squints, I bet you're friends thought you were a sicko. I wouldn't watch this with anyone, either. I had to wait until everyone left the house to put it on. During the rape scene I thought I heard someone come in and I actually got scared that they might see me watching this alone, thinking it's like a snuff film or something. 

Robyn

I saw this with my girlfriend, my best friend and his girfriend.

the only thing I said to them was that it was a never ending rape scene in it. my b/f g/f asked if the scene was sexy, and I was like "hehe, lol wtf" and sat in silence.

when the rape scene began I was like  " lol stop being wierd my b/f g/f :finger:" and she was like ":crazyeyes:" and left the room, and I was like "good bye stupid wierd girl :twisted:"

then I played violin for the rest of the night:  :violin:
´
it was the best night ever.  :lol:

socketlevel

you're the moral guy who likes to punish.

pretty fucked up that a girl and and a guy both asked if the rape scene was sexy. i guess it's the role players in them, and just like the movie that situation walks a fine line in a very narrow grey zone. Dark days my friend.
the one last hit that spent you...