The Man Who Wasn't There

Started by Gamblour., August 12, 2003, 03:01:08 PM

Gamblour.

I loved this movie, saw it for a second time yesterday. To go along with the strange motif of UFO's in the film, in the scene in jail with Riedenschneider and the private detective, the light comes through an unseen barred window, and forms a striped pattern that looks exactly like the UFO Ed Crane sees in the LIFE magazine (1:22:21, I only remember it because it's a palindrome).

Also, I think the Coens have fooled many people when it comes to what might seem to be symbolism, though that's not saying they don't have a few symbols, or even several. The fact that this film, as well as other Coen films, is filled with strange things like UFO's does not mean they are trying to convey some deep, profound meaning...they're just quirky writers and fill their movies with strange things. And this is what I love about their movies. The only one that comes off as having underlying symbols is Barton Fink, and I think it is my personal favorite.

Finally (there I go, ramblin' again), if you ever hear the Coens describe their films, it's always in terms of the characters they said TMWWT was about, "A barber who wants to be a dry cleaner" on the commentary.

*Spoilers for Barton Fink*

Also, they describe Barton Fink as a movie about, "A writer who ends up on a beach with a head in a box." Pretty interesting as it shows how they view their stories, simply in terms of the characters, which is great.
WWPTAD?

Ernie

Quote from: GamblorFinally (there I go, ramblin' again), if you ever hear the Coens describe their films, it's always in terms of the characters they said TMWWT was about, "A barber who wants to be a dry cleaner" on the commentary.

*Spoilers for Barton Fink*

Also, they describe Barton Fink as a movie about, "A writer who ends up on a beach with a head in a box." Pretty interesting as it shows how they view their stories, simply in terms of the characters, which is great.

They were probably kidding about all that. They're very reclusive from the press and publicity and all that, they hate interviews so they tend to be kinda fresh with the press...very tongue in cheek. You probably already know all this, I was just saying. You sounded like you might have thought they were serious. That's the kinda guys they seem to be. They're very modest in that way...that they think they're movies are so much less complex and so simple. But then, who am I to say? They're mystique applies to us all.

Gamblour.

Actually, I do they think they're serious, of course, only to a small degree. You're right that they say them in order to kid about the complexity of their films, but in a way, when you strip away every essential plot element, all you have left are these bare-bones descriptions of their films in terms of character. I thought that was an interesting way to consider their films. And my god, if these aren't the most modest guys on Earth...every time they talk, they seem so quiet and never concentrate on how great they are, but you know they have to realize it.
WWPTAD?

UncleJoey

I noticed the DVD Edition with the Coen Bros. commentary is out of print, but my local used store has a copy of it. How are the extras on the disc? Is it worth rushing out to buy it before it's gone (for 13 bucks - when a new featureless edition would cost about 11)?
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

MacGuffin

Quote from: UncleJoeyI noticed the DVD Edition with the Coen Bros. commentary is out of print, but my local used store has a copy of it. How are the extras on the disc? Is it worth rushing out to buy it before it's gone (for 13 bucks - when a new featureless edition would cost about 11)?

I'd get mainly for Billy Bob's input to the commentary track; it's pretty funny at times. The best extra though is the interview with Roger Deakins talking about the technical aspects of shooting the film in black & white.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

has anyone ever seen this in color?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Quote from: squints on July 25, 2006, 06:36:58 PM

Oh, shit... don't tell me Ted Turner's gotten his grubby mitts on it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

Quote from: polkablues on July 25, 2006, 06:43:29 PM
Quote from: squints on July 25, 2006, 06:36:58 PM

Oh, shit... don't tell me Ted Turner's gotten his grubby mitts goddamned Crayolas on it.
fixed.

squints

from imdb.com

# Though released in a black and white version, the picture was originally shot on color film. Allegedly because of a mixup at a developing lab, some prints released in Canada had the first reel in color by mistake, while the rest of the film was in black and white.

# Because of a contractual agreement, the distributor (USA Films) is allegedly releasing a color version in Europe

# The DVD contains several deleted scenes.

# Limited edition DVD released in Korea allegedly contains both original theatrical B/W version and Color version on two separate disks.

# In some European countries (among which Belgium, France and the Netherlands), the rental version is available only in color. Strangely enough, the version available in the stores both has the original black & white version as well as the version in colour.

# In Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark, one DVD version sold in stores consists of 2 discs, one containing the black and white version and the other having the film in color. However, there is also a single disc color only DVD available.

# The color version has been released on DVD in Thailand, with a Thai language track
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche