nine inch nails

Started by Sleuth, April 13, 2003, 12:14:43 PM

Sleuth

I love love love NIN.  I think Trent's priority right now is with tapeworm ( www.tapeworm.net ) which is a collaboration with other artists such as Maynard James Keenan
I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

is it true that NIN is just trent and he'll have random people come into the studio and play as his backup? there is never a set band, it's just trent? i was never REALLY into NIN, but i always liked some of it. it's good.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Love NIN. The Fragile and the Downard Spiral are the only ones I listen to anymore, but back in the day I think the whole catalog made pretty constant rotations in my CD player. I'd really like to hear him do something new that's more classically oriented, since he's a pianist and all...I think he could really make something incredible. La Mer kind of hinted at something like that...

I listen to the radio every now and then now, with crap like Staind and other bands that obviously grew up with the NIN influence, and its like -- what the hell did you miss?

I remember a girl once told me that 'Closer' was a big turn-on for women.

Cecil

Quote from: bonanzatazis it true that NIN is just trent and he'll have random people come into the studio and play as his backup? there is never a set band, it's just trent?

trent reznor, aka "the one man band"

RegularKarate

NIN started as just Trent and was through Downward Spiral...  he, of course would have his live band, which rotated and at one point included Richard Patrick from Filter (whcih is actually a 2 man band) this was until Fragile (which is good, but was a total let down after Spiral) where he had most of his live band working on different things on there own in different rooms of his house... when one would come up with something they liked, they would send it to the others and they would build on the songs that way... he's been working on Tapeworm for fucking ever and I don't know if it will ever come out.

All I know is that Broken and Downward Spiral were works of genius and I don't think he has the passion he once had.  Maybe he's just not miserable enough anymore... the only sadness he really had to work on for Fragile was the death of his dog.

Still will always remain on my list of greats because of how much Broken and Downward Spiral got me through highschool.

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarateNIN started as just Trent and was through Downward Spiral...  he, of course would have his live band, which rotated and at one point included Richard Patrick from Filter (whcih is actually a 2 man band) this was until Fragile (which is good, but was a total let down after Spiral) where he had most of his live band working on different things on there own in different rooms of his house... when one would come up with something they liked, they would send it to the others and they would build on the songs that way... he's been working on Tapeworm for fucking ever and I don't know if it will ever come out.

All I know is that Broken and Downward Spiral were works of genius and I don't think he has the passion he once had.  Maybe he's just not miserable enough anymore... the only sadness he really had to work on for Fragile was the death of his dog.

Still will always remain on my list of greats because of how much Broken and Downward Spiral got me through highschool.

Well I like the Fragile the best

Andhis grandmother (who raised him) died during the process of making it and so he wrote the song "I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally"
I like to hug dogs

Dirk

Quote from: GhostboyI'd really like to hear him do something new that's more classically oriented, since he's a pianist and all...I think he could really make something incredible. La Mer kind of hinted at something like that...

Do you have the 2 disc set of All That Could Have Been? Because there's a bonus disc called "Still" with "deconstructed" versions of some of their older songs and some new songs. It's really melodic with all songs being played on piano by Trent with the backup band playing acoustically. Definetely worth the extra $$$.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

RegularKarate

Or you can order just the Still CD by itself from the website.

The Live CD is recorded off thier worst live tour (still enjoyed it, just not as good as they used to be live) and there are plenty of great soundboard recorded bootlegs from the Downward tour that are much better.

Does anyone have the DVD?  I'm curious if it's worth it.

A couple things...

Tapeworm is currently a side project he is working on with Tool's frontman Maynard.

RegularKarate doesn't know what he is talking about.  The tour that the live cd/dvd captures was the best tour of 1999-2000. Hands down.

The Live cd was recorded directly from the soundboard and mixed later in a studio.  This is the best possible representation of what it would sound like to be at a Nin show at 2.1 quality.  If you want anything better go for the DVD,  5.1 DTS.

The DVD is worth it if you enjoy the music and either didn't get to go to a show or did and want to enjoy it.  I am an avid NIN fan/follower but also have found that I rarely will put it in...

Evdiently both a new nin album and the sideproject tapeworm will both be released this year...  I would bet on the tapeworm album moreso than the NIN album, because currently Maynard is tied up with other things, and they have already had months of recording time.  Again... Speculation...

There currently has been a big drought in Nin news.. currently the website is static, (www.nin.com) and there have been no press releases.

Where to buy gear? www.objectmerch.com

Any other questions?
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

MacGuffin

Saw "them" first at Lollapaloza. Didn't know who they were, but was instantly hooked. Trent has also done some awesome work with David Bowie.

RK, the DVD is a must have. There are also some cool easter eggs, one being a performance with Marilyn Manson for "The Beautiful People".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Man, I haven't listened to NIN in a long time, eventhough I have all of his major releases.  My friends and I listened to them quite a bit in high school, especially "The Downward Spiral" when it came out.  

I went to their concert when it came to the local university.  I was a freshman in high school, and this was the first time I had seen a mosh pit.  Those people are nuts.  Anyway, we sneaked a joint inside and tried to smoke it, but we kept on getting paronoid that security would smell it.  So I said, "let's just eat it!"  So, we just broke it in half and ate the joint, paper and all.  What a couple of dumbasses.  It really didn't take effect until the concert was over.  

Anyway, what I was getting at was the end of the concert.  They closed with "Hurt" and it was great, but then the band started busting up their equipment.  The thing was it was obvious that it was all pieces of plastic, like they brought out fake equipment to tear up.  That was ok, I guess, but what cracked me up was their goofy lighting act and sound effects they used to appear that they had just blown the power out.  Then he closed it with something like, "Fuck you all!"  Pretty funny, but the mosh pit crew thought it was sooooo cool.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: mogwaiThose guys are insane, especially when it comes to pouring water over their equipment. I mean, they probably know one or two about electricity and shit. But don't play on a synth or guitar while someone is pouring water on it. :?

Mogwai... I bet blonde chicks love you.

RegularKarate

Tapeworm isn't just a project with Maynard, it's a project with a lot of people... Maynard only sings on one or two songs.  There's also some Helmet, Pantera, and other NIN members on there (lots of 90s metal lovliness)

I've seen NIN on a late PHM tour, at Lollapalooza, on the Downward Spirla tour twice, on his tour with David Bowie, and during the Fragility 2.0 tour.
As well as owning fifteen live CDs (I used to be a little obsessed)

Downward spiral is, by far the best tour and the most recent is the worst.

While the fireworks were neat on the Fragility tour (that light/video screen thing ruled), it just didn't have the juice the others had.

I'll eventually buy that DVD, There's lots of good live performances on the VHS he released a few years back, but that's VHS.

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: RegularKarateI'll eventually buy that DVD, There's lots of good live performances on the VHS he released a few years back, but that's VHS.
You are talking about the "Closure" video? If you are, is that a good purchase? I found this link:

http://www.smashedupsanity.com/closure

Closue was an okay buy.. But is only and sounds like it will only be on vhs.

I wa... I mean.. Trent wasn't that pleased with the results of closure.. mostly because the sound is a B+ bootleg. Camera work is generally okay.. but again.. its just a bunch of 20 year olds roaming arround with cams and then later editing it together.

I wan..... Trent wanted to have the Fragility Tour to be an excellent audio recording and video recording.. So what other way than to do it themselves?  They bought a couple canon XL-1s and recorded directly out of the soundboard.  Later they edited all on final cut pro, and released the DVD in Dolby and DTS and released the live cd and deluxe set with the "still" extra cd.

Articles of Interest...

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2000/06/trent/
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

sexterossa

read the pitchfork review of THE FRAGILE. i laughed. and smiled.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.