What could PTA's 8th film be? Fun speculation.

Started by TheImaginator16, March 06, 2014, 02:24:44 PM

jenkins

Quote from: 03 on May 14, 2014, 10:01:15 PM
forgive me if someone thought of this before, but i just had an idea for a fun game.
i'll make a thread of it, if this post is original:
what would the best film or films that pta could remake?

i think that'd be a fun new topic

and i'm dtf lottery's 90s topic also

i'm so dtf today and tomorrow

well except for a little bit, because i'm about to go watch dead ringers. to be on topic here, and for the future topic, i'll say it'd be real darn interesting if pta remade dead ringers, and i'm only saying that to pretend i'm still on topic. k

Lottery

Slaughterhouse 5, Catch 22.

Don't need to be remakes really.

yeah i know, i just mean speculate what would be the most fun to see him redo.
i got more later but lets start out with the obvious:

network would be the most fun, i think, probaly also most obvs along with short cuts
another less obvious altman would be fun, like california split, or something super weird like dr t and the women.
and how about something recent like the royal tenenbaums, wouldn't that be crazy as hell?
imagine pta's THE WRESTLER. mind blown no?

come on i got the ball rolling in an extreme way, go dogs go!

Lottery

I'm sticking with him doing Vonnegut at some point. I think it would work. And it would be fun.

Or he could do a film for a decade he hasn't covered. I always thought a film which summarises the whole pychedelic rock movement from the mid 60s to to about 1969 would be cool. In no way a biopic but filled with drugs, maharishis, big old recording studios, Fender stratocasters, screaming girls, Leslie speakers, messed up geniuses, failed masterpieces, trippy nightmares etc. Once again, not a biopic but a 'comprehensive snapshot' done in an intimate manner. IV will be 1970, but it's based on the dying vibes of the 60s.

Mel

Quote from: 03 on May 14, 2014, 10:01:15 PM
what would the best film or films that pta could remake?

I don't think that good films need to be remade at all. Moreover bad films can be remade into something significant. I'm probably not the only one, who would like to see PTA making genre film like horror of sci-fi.

While not trying to go "my dream adaptation" route, I can think of "Brave New World". Huxley's work was adopted two times for television, end result: two bad films. It could be interesting to see some topics like sex portrayed in mass consumption way. It isn't too heavy on technology at the same time.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: 03 on May 14, 2014, 11:00:47 PM

imagine pta's THE WRESTLER. mind blown no?

I think PTA's The Wrestler would just end up being The Wrestler. I honestly don't think it could have been done better.

SailorOfTheSeas

I've noticed, PTA has been building a sense of development in his films, when looked at in order of time. TWBB (1880's-1920's), The Master (1950's), IV (1970's), BN (1970's-1980's), Hard Eight, Magnolia (1990's), PDL (2000's). For example, the role of women. In TWBB, there are no prominent female characters other than, kinda, H.W's wife. Then in The Master the role they play is increased, but still never fully stable or achieved, like the sandwoman. Then in Inherent Vice and Boogie Nights the role is increased even more, making their existence even more important and vital to the characters and to the story. Hard Eight and Magnolia both then each end with a relationship between a man and a woman forming. Then finally with PDL, it kinda concludes with true love being reached between two equals.

The same could be said about the introduction of different races. In TWBB everyone is white, The Master has a few characters of different ethnicity. Inherent Vice deals with the problem of racism towards the second half of the 20th century etc. Then you can see for yourself how that all develops in Boogie Nights, Hard Eight, Magnolia and PDL. What I'm saying is that PTA has built a proper sense of development in terms of time in his filmography. There are loads more examples, I only mentioned two kinda weak ones, but I'm sure u get the picture.

What I'm wondering is, what part of it will he choose to expand in his 8th film. Inherent Vice it seems will bridge The Master (early 50's) into Boogie Nights (begins late 70's). The film of his that's most in the future is PDL, so maybe he could do a film further along time, could be present day or some crazy sci fi. Or maybe pre-TWBB, some historical or biblical epic or somethin. Like will he do another film to bridge, like maybe something in the late 80's, or will he work to extend into the past or future...

What can u most see him doing? 

I would love to see him go somewhere mad into the future, as TWBB works pretty perfectly as the "beginning" to the timeline.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Who's ready for a depression-era musical???

mogwai

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on June 18, 2014, 11:29:56 PM
Who's ready for a depression-era musical???

Wouldn't that be "There will be blood 2 - The Milkshake Blues"?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SailorOfTheSeas

PTA could make "Aryan Papers". It would nicely bridge TWBB and The Master  :yabbse-wink:

Reel

I don't think there'll be any Aryan Papers left after Inherent Vice!

get it?

...papers...white

SailorOfTheSeas

That would be very interesting.

I would love a 40's noir horror film personally. Then after that, a three-hour + mad sci-fi  :yabbse-grin:

MacGuffin

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on June 22, 2014, 12:36:34 PM
Quote from: SailorOfTheSeas on June 21, 2014, 05:40:07 AM
PTA could make "Aryan Papers". It would nicely bridge TWBB and The Master  :yabbse-wink:

no, he wouldn't do that. Look into interviews/commentary & you will learn that PTA is Original. He riffs off the Greatest, but re-creating an unrealized project from Stanley Kubrick? What are you, stupid?

The prospect of a 40s-era film would be incredible. I know he loves his 40's on 4. Can you imagine a television-station based story during the heart of WW2? like Network during Stalingrad

The Master Race.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Frederico Fellini

100% certain PTA will make a sci-fi, it's just a matter of when... And I dont think it will be now.

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.