Best Crowe Film

Started by Banky, January 19, 2004, 08:19:52 PM

polkablues

Remember when we used to have a whole Cameron Crowe forum? God, that was weird.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Cameron Crowe —who is getting divorced from his wife of 22 years, Nancy Wilson, bummer —wants Amy Adams to play the zookeeper role alongside Matt Damon in the adaptation of "We Bought A Zoo" which is also scheduled for a Christmas release in 2011 which essentially means it too is vying for her attention. Damon plays a widowed man who buys a dilapidated zoo as a condition of purchasing a beautiful country estate.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

wow, no source at all on that one.

must be another original xixax scoop!

or is it..
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Scarlett Johansson Entering 'A Zoo'
Source: THR

Scarlett Johansson is in final negotiations to star opposite Matt Damon in We Bought a Zoo, the true-life drama that Cameron Crowe is directing for Fox.

The movie is based on a memoir by Benjamin Mee, who used his life savings to buy a dilapidated zoo, replete with 200 exotic animals facing destruction, in the English countryside. Mee, along with his children, had to balance caring for his wife, who was dying of brain cancer, with dealing with escaped tigers, raising endangered animals, working with an eclectic skeleton crew and readying the zoo for a reopening.

Damon has been on board as Mee since the end of June. Johansson will play Damon's wife, the grounded one in the relationship, and will be seen in flashbacks.

Julie Yorn is producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Teaser Trailer for his Pearl Jam documentary

http://vimeo.com/22759270

Reel

socketlevel

I believe he made the one for yeild to did he not?
the one last hit that spent you...

mogwai

Quote from: socketlevel on May 03, 2011, 01:34:09 PM
I believe he made the one for yeild to did he not?

Partly, he asked the band some questions but the doc was directed by Mark Pellington who also directed "Jeremy".

MacGuffin

Twenty Years of Pearl Jam To Be Celebrated on PBS & In Theaters
by Bryce J. Renninger; indieWIRE

Cameron Crowe's "Pearl Jam Twenty," which celebrates the twenty years of grunge rock band Pearl Jam, will be released in select US cities in September. Richard Abramowitz's Abramorama will help with the film's theatrical release. The film will also screen on PBS's American Masters series. Full release below...

PEARL JAM RETRACES THEIR FOOTSTEPS WITH CAMERON CROWE RETROSPECTIVE FILM Theatrical Release of "Pearl Jam Twenty" September 2011 Celebrates the Band's 20-Year History

LOS ANGELES, CA (MAY 25, 2011) –In celebration of their 20 year anniversary, Pearl Jam is set to release the feature film Pearl Jam Twenty, a definitive portrait of the band as told by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker and music journalist, Cameron Crowe. The captivating documentary gives fans and audiences an intimate first glimpse into Pearl Jam's journey culled from more than 1,200 hours of rarely and never-before-seen footage, over 24 hours of recent interviews with the band, as well as live footage of their spellbinding concert performances.

Pearl Jam Twenty will enjoy a unique, simultaneous worldwide theatrical release in select cities and venues in September and thereafter will roll out in an accelerated fashion. Abramorama, headed by Richard Abramowitz, who steered the theatrical campaigns for Anvil! The Story of Anvil and the Oscar®-nominated Exit Through The Gift Shop, is releasing the independent film in the U.S. with Arts Alliance Media, best known for their deft handling of Iron Maiden's award-winning documentary Flight 666 and, more recently, Foo Fighters Back and Forth, handling the theatrical release overseas. The film's U.S. television premiere will be Friday, October 21st at 9 p.m. (ET/PT), as part of the prestigious PBS "American Masters" series, airing during the first-ever PBS Arts Fall Festival. The soundtrack and DVD of the film will be released worldwide by Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment, with the soundtrack released simultaneous to the film in September and the DVD following with a release in October.

Told in big themes and bold colors with blistering sound, Pearl Jam Twenty chronicles the years leading up to the band's formation, the chaos that ensued soon-after being catapulted into superstardom, their step back from the spotlight with the instinct of self-preservation, and the creation of a trusted circle that would surround them—giving way to a work culture that would sustain them. The film celebrates the freedom that allows the band to make music without losing themselves, their fans, or the music lovers they'd always been.

"When I set out to make this film, my mission was to assemble the best-of-the best from Pearl Jam's past and present and give audiences a visceral feeling of what it is to love music and to feel it deeply —to be inside the journey of a band that has carved their own path," said Cameron Crowe. "There is only one band of their generation for which a film like this could even be made, and I'm honored to be the one given the opportunity to make it."

Crowe was among the band's inner circle when they formed and has maintained a close friendship with the band since his days as a reporter for Rolling Stone in Seattle. Almost 20 years after the band's inception, Eddie, Jeff, Stone and Mike gave their longtime friend the okay to raid the vault and assemble from it the story no one but those closest to them ever knew.

As part of their year-long celebration, Pearl Jam is also releasing a Pearl Jam Twenty soundtrack and book of the same name, to accompany the film. The soundtrack is comprised of a selected track listing by Cameron Crowe—making the album a true companion piece to the film. Published by Simon & Schuster in the U.S. and Atlantic Books in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, the Pearl Jam Twenty book is an aesthetically stunning chronicle of the band's past two decades. Compiled and written by veteran music writer Jonathan Cohen with Mark Wilkerson, the book includes a foreword by Cameron Crowe (and material from all his own band interviews) as well as original interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, and Dave Grohl.

In addition, the band recently announced tour dates in Canada in September as well as two shows in the U.S over Labor Day weekend at Alpine Valley outside of Chicago.

After two decades, Pearl Jam remains a giant musical force and one of the biggest and most magnetic touring acts in the world. With over 60 million albums sold worldwide, they continue to create and perform great music—all on their own terms. Pearl Jam is currently in the studio recording their 10th studio album, marking the bands' second record released through their label, Monkeywrench Records.

ABOUT PJ20 2011 is a yearlong celebration of Pearl Jam's twenty-year history. The band started off the year with the release of a new live compilation album, Live on Ten Legs, followed by the expanded reissues of Vs. and Vitalogy in March. Things kick into high gear in September with the Alpine Valley Labor Day anniversary weekend concert, a ten-date Canadian tour, followed by the theatrical release of Cameron Crowe's film, Pearl Jam Twenty in September with accompanying book and soundtrack album and subsequent PBS airdate of October, ending the year with the DVD of the film available in October. For the latest Pearl Jam happenings, visit www.pearljam.com

ABOUT ABRAMORAMA Abramorama is at the forefront of innovation in the world of distribution and marketing independent films. It is an industry leader in the personalized, focused form of film marketing/ distribution that bypasses traditional film studios and their methodology, providing invaluable distribution alternatives to current content makers and owners.

ABOUT ARTS ALLIANCE MEDIA Arts Alliance Media, based in London with offices in Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, and Berlin, is Europe's leading provider of digital distribution services, committed to building the largest digital cinema delivery network in Europe, and to supply digital content -films, alternative programming and live events. AAM provides end-to-end digital cinema solutions encompassing equipment selection, financing and integration, operator training, installation and 24/7 helpdesk support, and content management and delivery. Currently, AAM has over 3000 screens signed up, and has Virtual Print Fee agreements in place with five Hollywood studios. All screens installed are DCI compliant, and the company's strategic partnership with Arqiva Satellite & Media allows exhibitors to benefit from satellite delivery of alternative content events and features. The company's in-house digital cinema lab has mastered over 1000 digital titles to date. AAM also sources, manages and promotes 'Alternative Content' programming for cinemas. AAM was founded in 2003 by Thomas Høegh.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

HBO Picks Up Cameron Crowe's Elton John Doc 'The Union,' Will Hit TV Screens In January 2012
Source: ThePlaylist

While he may have been off the grid for a few years there, Cameron Crowe is storming back in 2011. He's got the dramedy "We Bought A Zoo" with Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson, Thomas Haden Church, Angus MacFadyen, Elle Fanning, Patrick Fugit, John Michael Higgins and J.B. Smoove getting ready for a Christmas release. His documentary "Pearl Jam Twenty" on the titular grunge icons will premiere at the Venice Film Festival, before hitting theaters in September and PBS in October. And if all that isn't enough, he's actually already got another completed documentary in the can. Titled "The Union," the Crowe-directed documentary about Elton John chronicles the making of the album of the same name, a collaborative effort between John and songwriter and musician Leon Russell. Until they started work on the album, the two had not spoken for 38 years. Stevie Nicks and producer Don Was make appearances in the documentary as well, and while John isn't necessarily our musical cup of tea, with Cameron at the helm it should prove fascinating and we're kind of suckers for "making of" album films in any shape or form. The film opened the The Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year, but in case you missed it, HBO has now picked up the documentary and will air it in January 2012. Sure, it might see like a bit of wait, but there will be plenty of Crowe to tide you over until then.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cameron Crowe Says He's Already Writing Next Film, Inspired By Kids He Met During 'Zoo' Auditions
Director Also Says 'Say Anything' Sequel Is A "Pipe Dream," But Reveals Deleted Scenes On His Blog
Source: Playlist

With three new films arriving in 2011, "Almost Famous" director Cameron Crowe has his hands full this year.

While it has no U.S. distribution yet, "The Union," the documentary look at the making of Elton John and Leon Russell's collaborative titular album, debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year. Coming in September is "Pearl Jam Twenty," a 20-year Pearl Jam anniversary documentary, which starts running in key markets on September 23rd before hitting PBS on October 21. Then finally, "We Bought a Zoo," starring Matt Damon, Scarlett Johansson and Thomas Hayden Church comes to theaters nationwide on December 23.

Three years on one film threatens to be overkill unless you consider this: Crowe's been MIA in theaters since 2005's "Elizabethtown." And as much as a swing and miss that picture was, six years without a Cameron Crowe film is a long way to go. The wait after 2011 might not be as long. He already has a Marvin Gaye biopic called, "My Name Is Marvin" in progress, as well as a project called "Deep Tiki" potentially still kicking around if it hasn't been abandoned and, apparently, yet another that he's already started writing.

IFC recently sat down for a lengthy talk with the filmmaker and he said while 'Marvin' is still in the works, he's begun another screenplay which is inspired by all the children who auditioned for "We Bought a Zoo."

"This woman that I work with, Gail Levin ("Almost Famous," "Vanilla Sky"), is a great casting director. She's always finding new faces," he said. "The kids she found for 'We Bought a Zoo' are so exciting. We met with all these actors, and they would leave the room and it was a situation where I would turn to Gail and say 'They're not right for this one, but I want to write something where we can work with that person.' That was the genesis for writing a whole new script which I've been working on while we were doing 'We Bought a Zoo' and finishing this Pearl Jam movie."

Does the six years away from the screen mean Crowe is making up for lost time? "I'm trying out this prolific thing," Crowe joked. "The thing about being prolific? It's a lot of work."

One wishful thinking project you can likely wipe off his IMDB if you were careless enough to list it there is a sequel to his 1989 romantic comedy-drama classic, "Say Anything." While it's come up in recent months as something that he might consider, Crowe told IFC that the idea is "definitely a pipe dream."

"It's a personal thing for me, that movie," he said trying to clear up his comments from a few months earlier. "It's probably my favorite thing I've ever done. And the last thing I would ever dream of doing is touching something that I feel so proud about in any way. I just love the characters and I was sort of musing out loud with this really cool person that had asked the question."

Ok, case closed, but still, Crowe definitely has "Say Anything" on the brain of late. While the 20th-anniversary edition Blu-ray and DVD re-release of the film arrived in 2009, just yesterday on his blog, The Uncool, Crowe released six deleted scenes in script form. According to Crowe, more extended scenes from the final shooting script dated Jan. 18, 1988, might still be posted in the upcoming days.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cameron Crowe to Direct Emma Stone in His Next Movie
Scott Rudin will produce the untitled film for Sony; Crowe hopes to begin shooting in the fall.
Source: THR

Cameron Crowe has settled on his next movie -- a yet-to-be titled romantic drama starring Emma Stone.

Crowe's reps confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter  that Sony has picked up the project, based on Crowe's original script. Scott Rudin will produce, with Crowe hoping to start shooting this fall. The hunt is now on for a leading man.

Crowe's last film was 20th Century's family entry We Bought a Zoo. The movie, released last Christmas, grossed $120 million worldwide.

Stone (The Help) is no stranger to Sony; she stars in the studio's summer tentpole The Amazing Spider-Man. She'll next be in theaters in January with The Gangster Squad.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 30, 2012, 08:44:25 PM
The Gangster Squad.

Hollywood Reporter has officially become the movie-reporting world's uncool mom who asks you how to look things up on "the Google".

Meanwhile, Variety continues to be the dorky dad who makes up his own slang.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Bethie

I'm working on collecting all the records that William fondles in the beginning of Almost Famous.

I need Pet Sounds. Anyone want to raid their parents record collection for me?
who likes movies anyway