Film History Resources or: How I Learned to Stop Browsing and...

Started by wilder, June 13, 2014, 10:34:39 PM

wilder

...Take It Straight from the Horse's Mouth.

Below is a link to a wiki I put together of online film history resources. It's limited mostly to lists and links to behind-the-scenes documentaries, commentary tracks, books, and interviews featuring filmmakers themselves that I've found helpful over the years. Much of this stuff will not be new to the older members on this board. I assembled it with the idea that if it were given to someone with no context for this stuff or unfamiliar with any of it they could use the document as a basic jumping off point to preserve some form of linearity in exploring films of the past. Links will die from time to time - if that's the case send me a PM and I'll update or remove them when necessary.

Though I tried to make the list fairly all-inclusive, obviously I could only go off of what I'm personally aware of. The behind-the-scenes docs on individual films were included because the movies they're about hold a seminal place in film history or were especially pioneering in some way. None of the actual lists linked within were made by me.

Hopefully you guys will find this useful.

Film History Resources - Wiki

ono

Excellent job.

This should be a Xixax Wiki so it can be maintained.

This is more than a film school in a box.  This is a film school on "the cloud," a flash drive, insert your jargon here.  If you took a few years and consumed all this, you'd easily have the equivalent knowledge of a masters in film.

Lottery

Great work, indeed.

Yes, a wiki of sorts is a fantastic idea.

max from fearless

Jeremy Blackman

Wilder, I've enabled PDF attachments and attached this file to your original post. You should be able to replace it whenever. Hopefully that's easier. Would you be interested in the wiki format?

Mel

Thanks, excellent resource.

I've seen a link to THR in document. They have also great Youtube channels with pre-emmy and pre-oscar roundtables: https://www.youtube.com/user/thrnetwork/playlists

You just need to dig through short clips and you can find some interesting stuff. Example: I will take from cinematographers about digital transition, which was part of roundtable over "Side by Side". Still need to see recently uploaded roundtables from Emmy 2014.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

wilder

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 14, 2014, 11:45:08 AM
Wilder, I've enabled PDF attachments and attached this file to your original post. You should be able to replace it whenever. Hopefully that's easier. Would you be interested in the wiki format?

Thanks. I'm down to convert the list into a wiki, have to learn the formatting first, though. Might take a while.

Jeremy Blackman

It's completely up to you, obviously. Just another option.

Or if any insane person feels like converting wilder's work to wiki format, let us know.

wilder

jenkins

photos inside the renovated Samuel Goldwyn Theater, the main theater for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, which theater opened in time for a screening of the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Jeremy Blackman

Whoah, nice!

E: Just starting to read through it. This is incredible.

jenkins

Hope every person who currently posts here upvotes that and I find out a number.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilder on June 09, 2015, 09:22:20 PM
The Wiki is done

I added a button for this on the top bar, to the right of New Unread Posts.

It goes directly to the Film History Resources page. If there's more wiki content in the future, I can have it point to the main wiki page.