there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

Pozer

i like it and when reading it in the script thought of how well it fit.  a drunken plainview rEvealing for the first time to someone that it aint his kid and how he couldnt even make a kid for said reasons.  i dont think it's too on-da-nose or,, whatever.  i hope it makes dltd scns.

p.s. this is a drunken pozerview.   

JG

its better left ambiguous. that way the second to last scene takes on more meaning cos its unclear whether or not plainview is trying to make h.w. feel bad or if its actually true.

articles like that are another reason why i don't like people prying into the process. things like that and the whole paul/eli recasting issue shouldn't matter to the audience - the final product should. same with going to the source material for 'answers.'

hedwig, when did u see the movie? one of the midnite showings? did you love love love it?

cine

Quote from: JG on January 03, 2008, 12:46:16 AM
its better left ambiguous. that way the second to last scene takes on more meaning cos its unclear whether or not plainview is trying to make h.w. feel bad or if its actually true.

what? dude, if you weren't always sitting front row, you'd have noticed in like the first 10 mins of the movie that HW was clearly not his son.

JG

really, its made explicit in the movie? how?

my post was inspired by the fact that my friend asked that very question and i didn't feel right giving him an answer i had read in an article earlier that day. 

cine

the baby's dad is the first death of the film. the very next scene Daniel is staring down the baby who is CLEARLY all alone now. and he's crying.. and Daniel takes care of him.

.. honestly, i almost think you're joking that you didn't notice that.. but AGAIN.. i was dumbfounded in the first place that you sat ALL the way at the front... apparently both times you saw it  :yabbse-undecided:

if only samsong stole mod or sparrow's seat too, you could've seen this a lot sooner.

hedwig

Quote from: JG on January 03, 2008, 01:20:49 AMmy post was inspired by the fact that my friend asked that very question and i didn't feel right giving him an answer i had read in an article earlier that day. 
i get the feeling this "friend" is you.

JG

that's silly of me, but i don't think its totally inexcusable, nor do i think it really changes the movie for me anyway. heck, i'm willing to bet others missed that too (please tell me others missed that too).. 

i knew h.w. was in another dude's hands at first, but i don't think i made the connection that that was the guy who died first.

but thanks!

and no hedwig, i swear.. his name is jon and he has brown hair and he's very nice.

cine

hedwig

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

elpablo

I actually did miss it too. And when my friend explained it to me afterwards, I felt incredibly stupid. I blamed it on the fact that I had watched the trailer so much that I was absolutely convinced that HW was Daniel's son and partner. I think I may have actually thought during the opening "Why is that man always holding Daniel's son??" I'm really stupid.

cine

Quote from: elpablo on January 03, 2008, 02:34:31 AM
I blamed it on the fact that I had watched the trailer so much that I was absolutely convinced that HW was Daniel's son and partner.
yeah you must've also thought that eli sunday was actually a healer and a vessel for the holy spirit, eh..

not to mention that Daniel really ran a family business. he wasn't in it for himself or anything..

somebody back me up here, i can't keep doing this on my own... with these...... people....  :yabbse-undecided:

JG

Quote from: Cinephile on January 03, 2008, 03:33:19 AM
Quote from: elpablo on January 03, 2008, 02:34:31 AM
I blamed it on the fact that I had watched the trailer so much that I was absolutely convinced that HW was Daniel's son and partner.
yeah you must've also thought that eli sunday was actually a healer and a vessel for the holy spirit, eh..

not to mention that Daniel really ran a family business. he wasn't in it for himself or anything..

somebody back me up here, i can't keep doing this on my own... with these...... people....  :yabbse-undecided:

don't BULLY us cinephile.

Stefen

If even PTA fans aren't getting this movie, imagine how mainstream America is going to accept it.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

so watching it again now, my favourite scene hands down is the baptism.

and i've officially made this my favourite PTA film too.