Kenosha Wisconsin's own...Weezer!!

Started by cron, March 12, 2005, 06:22:47 PM

Pas

Make Believe wasn't that bad once you get used to it I guess. The thing with Weezer is that we aren't 13 anymore :(

Neil

Quote from: Pas Rap on September 21, 2006, 05:09:06 PM
Make Believe wasn't that bad once you get used to it I guess. The thing with Weezer is that we aren't 13 anymore :(

Wow, that's interesting.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

squints

No its not interesting. Weezer lost the capability to rock when matt sharp left. Pinkerton was great when i was 13 and its still great now. Matt Sharp solo and the Rentals have each had good albums, if rivers and matt could get together for a new album I might actually buy a weezer record again, but for now these throwaway lyrics and recycled three chord pop songs that aren't even that catchy can suck a dick
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

Quote from: squints on September 21, 2006, 05:26:44 PM
No its not interesting. Weezer lost the capability to rock when matt sharp left. Pinkerton was great when i was 13 and its still great now. Matt Sharp solo and the Rentals have each had good albums, if rivers and matt could get together for a new album I might actually buy a weezer record again, but for now these throwaway lyrics and recycled three chord pop songs that aren't even that catchy can suck a dick

i agree with all this , with the exception of the sucking a dick part.

That's why i thought that was interesting, because they are still great now, and i wasn't sure if Pas Rap was saying that "what's the deal with my brain, why am i so obviously insane?" was as good  as the blue, pinkerton, and even green...that is all, save the attacks against me in all the other threads

MacGuffin

Weezer: The Beer Lawsuit

Divided they stand, together they sue.

Looking for a cure for what ales them, the apparently still-together members of Weezer sued Miller Brewing Co. Friday, accusing the Milwaukee-based institution of unlawfully using the band's image in a series of print ads to promote beer and other alcoholic beverages.

According to the alt-rock quartet's complaint, the three ads that showed up in 2004 on the pages of Rolling Stone misappropriated the band's name and image by stating that Weezer--along with "other bands and musical performers with whom [Weezer] do not wish to be associated in any advertisement"--endorsed Miller products.

Not wanting anyone to destroy their sweater or their image, Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo, drummer Patrick Wilson, guitarist Brian Bell and bassist Scott Shriner are seeking actual damages (they feel the misappropriation of their good name has cost them millions); all profits received by Miller and fellow defendants from the ads in question; punitive damages amounting to three times either the actual damages or the defendants' profits, whichever is higher; and an injunction against any further use of the band's image.

Weezer has also targeted marketing firm Young & Rubicam and production company Giannini Creative Imaging in the lawsuit.

Although following the platinum-level success of 2005's Make Believe Cuomo told MTV News in July that Weezer's latest break may be a break-up, an Aug. 12 posting on the band's Website referred to the members' current state as "one of positivity and growth."

"Now please, take those 'Weezer split?' headlines and place them firmly into the 'Don't believe the hype' bin," read the site a week later. As of last weekend, a live DVD project was on hold, however, and while cover art has been created for a greatest-hits album, no new songs have been recorded yet. "It if happens, it will definitely have some new tracks," the band said, adding that Cuomo has been working on some fresh material.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Maladroit boys are keeping busy while Cuomo cleanses his aura and enjoys married life after almost three years of self-imposed celibacy (he tied the knot with Kyoko Ito in June).

Bell and Wilson went retro to play Lou Reed and John Cale in the upcoming Edie Sedgwick biopic Factory Girl, starring Sienna Miller as the Andy Warhol muse. The Weezer mates also recorded a cover of Velvet Underground's "Heroin" for the film's soundtrack.

Wilson has a side band, too--The Special Goodness, with The Offspring drummer Atom Willard--and Bell fronts his own group, Space Twins, as well.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2006, 05:42:38 PM
That's why i thought that was interesting, because they are still great now, and i wasn't sure if Pas Rap was saying that "what's the deal with my brain, why am i so obviously insane?" was as good  as the blue, pinkerton, and even green

That's exactly what I was saying yes. My sister and her friends are between 12-14 and they all like Make Believe just as much as Blue and Pinkerton while they hate Maladroit and ''meh'' Green. I'm not saying I do too but take off the nostalgia glasses and ... you know... whatever.

Really old I know.

Neil

Neil

Quote from: Pas Rap on October 11, 2006, 08:12:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2006, 05:42:38 PM
That's why i thought that was interesting, because they are still great now, and i wasn't sure if Pas Rap was saying that "what's the deal with my brain, why am i so obviously insane?" was as good  as the blue, pinkerton, and even green

That's exactly what I was saying yes. My sister and her friends are between 12-14 and they all like Make Believe just as much as Blue and Pinkerton while they hate Maladroit and ''meh'' Green. I'm not saying I do too but take off the nostalgia glasses and ... you know... whatever.

Really old I know.

not to stir this up, but, i mean,  the blue album and pinkerton are loaded with great song writing, and they are amazing records as a whole, and i am positive that make believe is not up to par with the rest...so, i'm not really sure what you were saying...it's not like some bias against the newer cd's it's just that they have nothing but lackluster songs/song writing...i guess rivers lost sharp, and then decided to write every song with a pathetic formula...maybe i lost the entire purpose of what we were talking about, because i'm dumb, and that could most likely happen, but i was curious what you were trying to say by that.

MacGuffin

Weezer Aren't Done Yet — Online Post Promises Sixth Album
Band slated to hit studio in July, aims to release LP in 2008.
Source: MTV

Last time we heard from Weezer, frontman Rivers Cuomo said they were "done." Cooked. Put on ice ... again.

All of a sudden, though, it seems like things have ramped back up for the band that is more on-again/off-again than a Brittany Murphy engagement. Months after a mysterious Web site with the vague name AlbumSix.com began redirecting traffic to Weezer's homepage, a note was posted on both sites on Monday announcing that the group was not only back together, but about to wrap up work on a yet-untitled sixth album.

A post titled "Yams, clams, flans, plans, shams, crans and glands" and attributed to Cuomo announced, "Hey Party-People, Weezer is just polishing up a batch of songs for a recording session that is going to start at the beginning of July. This will be the final recording session for our sixth album which we aim to put out in the first half of 2008. We hope you are all having good times. Love, R-Dawg." The post was accompanied by a photo of an unidentified kid in blue jeans, a white button-down and an oversized black leather coat, which could very well have been a pint-size Cuomo, but we're not sure, since no one in the band's camp is really talking.

A source close to Weezer confirmed, however, that they are scheduled to wrap the album soon and that it is tentatively slated for a 2008 release.

Last July, Cuomo was camped out at his in-laws' house in southern Japan writing songs at a furious pace, with no idea where they'd go. "All this year, I've been feeling pretty creative and excited, so I've been writing a lot," Cuomo said at the time. "I don't know what'll happen with these songs — if anything — I just sort of write them and I can't stop. I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

But cryptic messages in the liner notes to Weezer's 2005 album, Make Believe, appeared to lend credence to the feeling that the band was going to call it quits well short of its 15th anniversary.

In particular, a quote from William Shakespeare's "The Tempest" read, "This rough magic/ I here abjure, and, when I have required/ Some heavenly music, which even now I do/ To work mine end upon their senses that/ This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff/ Bury it certain fathoms in the earth/ And deeper than did ever plummet sound/ I'll drown my book".

A demo of a song called "Pig" has been floating around online since April, but it's unclear if that tune — which features Cuomo accompanied by an acoustic guitar, piano and harmonica singing about playing in the mud, talking to the animals and being in love with a girl named Tina — will end up on the new album.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 27, 2007, 12:26:04 AM
it seems like things have ramped back up for the band that is more on-again/off-again than a Brittany Murphy engagement.

MTV.com stories are littered with more cheezy pop culture references than a Kevin Smith movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Weezer fans, the countdown for a new album has begun. The band's mysterious AlbumSix.com Web site has posted release dates for two upcoming projects: Alone: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo, which is due December 11, and the simply titled Album Six, which is poised for an April 22 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Weezer frontman eyes more archival releases

Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo hopes his new solo album will be the first in a series of releases that unearths material left off his band's albums.

"Alone -- The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo," released December 18 via Geffen Records, boasts 18 demos drawn from 1992 to 2007, including an early version of the Weezer hit "Buddy Holly."

"I would love to put out at least one more," he says. "I'm talking with the record company (now) to figure out what's the best way for me to get more of this stuff out, and if they're gonna be involved or not. But it's certainly my hope to put out as much of this stuff as I can."

For the moment, however, future vault-raiding will have to wait in line behind Weezer's sixth album, which Cuomo says is "almost done" and that he hopes to release in April or May.

"I'm listening to the songs every day, trying to figure out which order they go in and understand what the spirit is behind this album ... It's still evolving."

Cuomo describes the new songs, which are being co-produced by Rick Rubin, as "dark and deep and beautiful," and "definitely more sophisticated and adventurous. You'll hear very long songs ... and non-traditional structures."

Cuomo says Weezer fans will also hear more from Weezer's other band members, who also wrote songs and even sing lead on some tracks. On one unnamed cut, drummer Pat Wilson sings and plays lead guitar while Cuomo takes over the drum stool.

"It was a blast," Cuomo says of the all-in approach. "It definitely feels like there's a lot more of our energy that over the years has been kind of pent-up and now has been released and is flowing freely between the four of us. It's really exciting."

Cuomo's other major project is a "deep and detailed" memoir tracing the period from Weezer's formation in 1992 to the release of its self-titled debut in 1994. He anticipates another year of writing before he's ready to turn it over to a publisher.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Weezer's Awkward Red Album Cover Is The Real Deal, 'Not A Joke' Publicist Confirms
'It's what they chose,' spokesman says of the photo showing bandmembers dressed as odd stereotypes.
Source: MTV

You know the supposed cover for Weezer's upcoming Red album that hit the Net late Monday? The one that features the band sporting looks that blogs have described as "The New Village People: The Bartender, the Professor, the Cowboy and the Biker" (Pitchfork) and "the four dudes ... [hoping] to spread the worst aspects of Williamsburg's nightlife ... to the Best Buy masses" (Idolator)?

Well, despite those glowing reviews — and the creeping suspicion by many Weezer fans that the cover is some sort of elaborate hoax — we can confirm that, yes, that is the actual cover of the band's third self-titled album, nicknamed Red, which will hit stores on June 24. But no, we're not sure what the meaning behind Rivers' "suburban cowboy" look is, either.

"Yes, that's absolutely the cover," Jim Merlis, the band's publicist, told MTV News. "It's what they chose. They looked at a bunch of mockups, and that's the one they decided to go with. It's not a joke."

Merlis went on to add that he didn't know what the band was going for when they decided on the Red cover — which was shot by photographer Sean Murphy in his Los Angeles studio. "It's Weezer, man," he shrugged. A spokesperson for Weez's label, Geffen, also confirmed the authenticity of the cover.

So, what do the fans think? Well, when the image was first posted on the Weezer's official Web site, reaction seemed evenly split between those who thought it was hysterical — "This rivals Prince's Lovesexy cover. At least Weezer [have] kept their sense of humor," one fan wrote — and those who thought it was, well, pretty puzzling.

"Rivers looks like Jeff Foxworthy," a fan posted. And another added, "The only ones not ruining this cover are the two that aren't wearing stupid hats."

But despite the mixed reactions to Red's cover, there's no denying the success of its first single, "Pork and Beans," which debuted this week at #19 on the Modern Rock Radio charts and is already spawning a legion of "tribute" videos on YouTube.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

brian bell is unrecognizable.
he looks like K Fed to me.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

what do you know, pork and beans is very good weezer! i heard it today by accident and it reminded me of pinkterton.
context, context, context.