There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

polkablues

If you look at the corner of your screen right now, you'll think for a fleeting moment that you see PTA reading over your shoulder in the reflection on the monitor.  When you turn around to look, there will be nobody there.  But the moment you turn back to your computer, he'll donkey-punch you in the back of the head.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

http://gawker.com/5428998/

There Will Be Blood Wins the Decade

In its day, Paul Thomas Anderson's oil-drilling epic had to take a back seat to the Coen Brother's nihilist No Country For Old Men. But a few years later, this Blood will not be washed out.

The web has come alive with Best Film of the Decade lists. Unlike Best of the Year lists, where the same dozen or so films appear again and again, Best of the Decades are where a list-making critic can really take wings and fly, revealing their inner soul through their choices. Are you a Lost in Translation type or a Memento-ite? The choice says everything, and nothing, about the list makers.

So what we've done is added up all the Best lists we could find online — from the New Yorker to spitefulcritic.com; anywhere where people had made a list. We gave each film a point for every inclusion on every top ten list. Some lists made it a bit difficult, doing say an unordered top 15's, but we've included as much as we can to try and get an accurate count.

Also in the case of multi-film series, such as Lord of the Rings or the Bourne films, some critics placed the entire series on the list, some cast their votes for the individual films.

And when the votes were all in, by a nose, There Will Be Blood stood alone at the top of the decade, its straw in the whole damn cinema's milkshake.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

Derek

I just re-read most of this thread (had some time on my hands). It was kind of fun to go back and read the speculation way before the movie was ever released, people first reactions after having seen it, etc....it got me thinking that there hasn't been quite the level of mania for his next movie, though its supposedly only a couple of months from shooting. Maybe there is and I'm wrong or maybe even because there's little official in the way of news? Not really sure, but I wonder if people's interest is waning a little bit?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek on May 17, 2010, 09:47:14 PM
Not really sure, but I wonder if people's interest is waning a little bit?

hardly, there's no other filmmaker that this board goes so batshit crazy over. there's just little to spaz about like you mentioned, that's obviously the case.

read the master thread if you haven't already and notice the similarities with this one. ppl are going nuts over the same things and speculating all over the place but i think for the most part we're all getting older and have exhausted our fanboy giddiness on his previous projects. it doesn't help that the one place we would get the scoops, the ptanderson site, barely posts anything worth discussing anymore. in fact this time around WE were the ones getting the hot scoops, with the script reviewer foreplayjizzer69 joining us to plead his case and eventually scanning exclusive pages from the script.

i'm glad there hasn't been as much bullshit speculation over absolutely nothing, those pages are the most boring and forgettable of this thread. the few times it has taken off in the master thread have been miserable in the extreme. just look at the idiotic discussion over how PTA might have felt about the script leaking, most ppl realised in the end it was an utterly worthless discussion. the ones who were most insistent on continuing the conversation were newbs who weren't around to get their rocks off over CMBB.. a lot of us popped our cherry in that regard over PDL in the old board (at ptanderson.com).

anyway, just wait till the first images show up or anything other than casting and the like. then you'll see what always happens, tho hopefully less of it than normal. if you think we've lost interest just refer to the reaction when The Mater was announced, it was by far the most heartfelt and insane (in a good way) i've ever seen over PTA. for me it's not just fanboy interest in what he's doing, i am genuinely excited to see where the greatest artist of our generation is going to take us next.

what you describe is more like what happens at aintitcool (if that's even a place anymore) or whatever, where 40yr-old virgins crap their pants over the next Eli Roth or QT film, filling hundreds of pages with "i can't wait til he gives us more of the same old shit! woooooooo BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD YEAH FUCKING SMASH HIS FACE WOOOOOOOOO CARVE THAT SHIT IN THERE YEAH Ffffff fuck... i came". seriously, this place has matured for the better.
under the paving stones.

jtm

watching this on fx right now and it's strange watching a pta flick on tv. i've never experienced this before.

i'm into the movie and then, bam! i'm watching a commercial break.

just seems strange.

jtm

give me the blood lord, and let me get away!

haha, i love it

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: jtm on June 17, 2010, 02:47:34 AM
watching this on fx right now and it's strange watching a pta flick on tv. i've never experienced this before.
It's too bad you missed Boogie Nights on FX. Now that was interesting.

Wasn't PTA hands-on involved with the editing for tv?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

jtm

bluejaytwist

Quote from: jtm on July 31, 2010, 01:28:19 AM
i need that on my wall.

i am bothering the two people i know involved with this to try to get a few of these to give away on the site. fingers x'd.
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

bluejaytwist

cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.