Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2008, 06:11:43 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

I'm going to see it to laugh at/(with?) Cages over-the-top performance but I'm not expecting/(hoping?) it will be good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

socketlevel

it's fucking great man, saw it at TIFF and laughed my ass off.
the one last hit that spent you...

OrHowILearnedTo

Similar to a Coens movie in terms of tone, but very much herzog overall. LOVED IT.

Ghostboy

I was expecting over-the-top batshit craziness, so I was pretty unprepared for how legitimately great this movie actually is. Cage is seriously good for the first time since Adaptation! The line about the soul still dancing....best payoff EVER. Blew my mind.

socketlevel

Quote from: Ghostboy on November 29, 2009, 01:43:07 PM
I was expecting over-the-top batshit craziness, so I was pretty unprepared for how legitimately great this movie actually is. Cage is seriously good for the first time since Adaptation! The line about the soul still dancing....best payoff EVER. Blew my mind.

OMG i know, i've been holding off telling everyone i know, including this site, about that.  it's like the joke is stellar, then rests, and suddenly pays off more than you can imagine. it's too good to ruin, and explained isn't half of it, gotta see it to appreciate the genius.

at the toronto film festival, myself and a few others sitting around me lost our shit for a good 3 minutes

john

Quote from: socketlevel on November 29, 2009, 07:03:00 PM
 it's like the joke is stellar, then rests, and suddenly pays off more than you can imagine. it's too good to ruin, and explained isn't half of it, gotta see it to appreciate the genius.

Absolutely. And I'm not contending that it isn't, indeed a joke. I imaigne it certainly is. But for me, that scene existed somewhere between beauty and absurdity. It wasn't a joke in that it made me laugh, but it was an inspired, daring conclusion that made me smile well into the next scene.

Days later and the whole thing is still swirling in my head... some of the imaginary, not even including the aforementioned joke, is the finest I've seen in any film this year.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

socketlevel

Quote from: john on November 29, 2009, 08:04:15 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on November 29, 2009, 07:03:00 PM
 it's like the joke is stellar, then rests, and suddenly pays off more than you can imagine. it's too good to ruin, and explained isn't half of it, gotta see it to appreciate the genius.

Absolutely. And I'm not contending that it isn't, indeed a joke. I imaigne it certainly is. But for me, that scene existed somewhere between beauty and absurdity. It wasn't a joke in that it made me laugh, but it was an inspired, daring conclusion that made me smile well into the next scene.

Days later and the whole thing is still swirling in my head... some of the imaginary, not even including the aforementioned joke, is the finest I've seen in any film this year.

it's funny i think you and i ended up in the same place. however for myself, it was a solid 5 mins of balls out laughing... the kind of laughing where your mind abandons all reason, and you lose your composure.  i've got three friends that can laugh this way when i really come outta left field with a joke. and watching that reaction in them, the glee they get from the absurdity, really makes me feel great. like i did something to be proud of. the thing is I don't usually feel that way myself, because i consider (pretentiously i'm sure) myself pretty out there when it comes to my humor. but in that moment, i got to feel what they felt.  it's a special kind of laughter.  i hope i didn't make it sound too cheesy, but that's the best way i can pinpoint what i mean.

after the 5 mins were up i stopped and thought to myself two things.

firstly: omg i wish i fucking made that! This usually happens with anything i see that's great. I'm sure all you wanna be film makers like myself know that feeling.

and then secondly: wow "it was an inspired, daring conclusion that made me smile..." like you so eloquently put it.

one love john, again... well put.

EDIT: also the actual shot in the reveal is genius itself, hand held wide angle pan from right to left. about 6 feet from the ground, it's like the camera and viewer are another person in the room. so that "what the fuck" factor is so underplayed... it really is brilliant.

not to mention the dialog leading up to it is pretty amazing too. the drug dealer gives me a similar gleeful feeling, i really liked his performance. it's like he senses the absurdity with the audience.

might be a top 5 scene, somewhere in cinema with the true romance scene and others like it.

samsong

herzog and cage vs. the most run-of-the-mill cop movie screenplay ever written.  (see: inept) thankfully the crazies contingent wins out, though it's slow going after a good opening scene--i had my doubts.  then there's that bit with the poem and the fish and one knows it'll all be okay. deliriously poetic and hysterically facetious.  herzog's fuck-you to the poorer tendencies in american cinema is also among the year's most entertaining films.

Ghostboy

Quote from: samsong on December 02, 2009, 02:46:05 PM
herzog and cage vs. the most run-of-the-mill cop movie screenplay ever written.  (see: inept) thankfully the crazies contingent wins out, though it's slow going after a good opening scene--i had my doubts.  then there's that bit with the poem and the fish and one knows it'll all be okay. deliriously poetic and hysterically facetious.  herzog's fuck-you to the poorer tendencies in american cinema is also among the year's most entertaining films.

Wait until you see My Son My Son What Have Ye Done....his fuck-you to the poorer tendencies in American media, period. In other words, it's CSI: Herzog.

picolas

modage

This movie was THE WORST.  Cage was in Vampires Kiss mode though, so it was totally watchably awful.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on December 03, 2009, 10:08:18 PM
This movie was THE WORST.  Cage was in Vampires Kiss mode though, so it was totally watchably awful.

Are you kidding?  What did you not like about it?  The only elements of "bad movie" were entirely intentional.  It's so fucking great!

I laughed throughout the entire thing and when I wasn't laughing, I was smiling.  What a great goddamned movie!

At one point (already discussed, don't want to spoil it any further), I was stomping my foot, I was laughing so hard.

And Ghostboy, you just made me want to see MSMSWHYD so bad.

Gamblour.

Til the break of dawn!

My friend and I, when we weren't laughing, spent the majority of the movie with our mouths agape. This fucking rocked us. Cage is absolutely incredible. When I think of this movie, my mind is just this swirl of images and I can't tell if they actually happened or not. So feverish. I wasn't prepared for how comedic it would be, like the entire last half hour. Or the Herzog-lizard cam. I bet if you placed this and the 'original' side by side, this would look like it was shot a decade prior, it just has that strange 70s ugliness to it. Top ten, for sure.
WWPTAD?

polanski's illegitimate baby

Fuck yes to Herzog and Cage... This was definitely an uplifting film. Uplifting in a sense that it made my penis lift in hopes of seeing more films made that are not bound to any ancient moronic morality tale. Lynch can learn a bit from Herzog here, in making an honest point without giving me the feeling like i am watching someone administering enema on myself(inland empire). The scene at the very end was fucking great. Truly, a great depiction of functional nihilism/atheism...Very optimistic!
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)