Darren Aronofsky

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2003, 03:15:25 AM

diggler

anytime anyone brings up method acting i always think of that Louis CK story when he was writing for the Conan O'Brien show and had to discuss a bit with Martin Sheen over the phone.  Sheen was shooting Gettysburg at the time and did the entire phone conversation in character as Robert E. Lee.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

someone needs to shop and/or animate a gif for that where his hand comes up and tweaks his moustache.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

When I grabbed that I wanted to make a comment about the mustache, but it speaks for itself. CREEPER.

Jennifer Lawrence at the Oscars in that red dress looked ridiculous. Can't really blame him. Pozer says he was single at the time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ElPandaRoyal

Well, I'm afraid to say it but I completely understand that look. Jennifer Lawrence is HOT!
Si

Gamblour.

That is fucking hysterical.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Quote from: P on March 24, 2011, 03:19:03 AM
someone needs to shop and/or animate a gif for that where his hand comes up and tweaks his moustache.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Revlon ad with Jessica Biel and Pharrell:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Darren Aronofsky To Direct Michael Chabon's 'Hobgoblin' Pilot For HBO
via The Playlist

Darren Aronofsky may still be coming out of his "Black Swan" afterglow, but with his calendar now free after dropping out of "The Wolverine," he's certainly keeping busy. He's been mulling over a sci-fi pic with George Clooney, been pursued by two major studios for franchise films and even found time to direct a pair of commercials, all while trying to get his $130 million passion project "Noah" off the ground. Well, it appears his dance card isn't getting any less full as Variety reports he's now slated to direct the pilot episode of a new HBO series "Hobgoblin." We first heard about the series a few months ago and our interest was immediately piqued.

The reason for that initial interest was because the shows creators are acclaimed novelists (and Playlist favorites), husband-wife team Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman. He's the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of novels like "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay," "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" and "Wonder Boys," while she's a talented writer as well, with her novel "Love And Other Impossible Pursuits" recently adapted into a film ("The Other Woman" with 'Swan' star Natalie Portman). Oh, and also because the show is about "a group of con men and magicians who use their skills of deception to help defeat Hitler and the Germans during World War II." Um, yes please.

This will be Aronofsky's first time stepping behind the camera for a television series though many will remember he came close once before, as he was originally supposed to direct an episode during season 3 of "Lost" but dropped out due to scheduling issues. It will be interesting to see how he handles the material, and it might be possible he will have a hand in casting the show (as tends to be the case with the director of a show's pilot episode) so you can now begin speculating who the "ass to ass" guy will be playing in this.

Though HBO seems to have no limits to the amount of money they're willing to throw at a project they haven't been able to capture the mix of critical success and massive ratings on the same series since "The Sopranos." Not that they haven't tried. "Boardwalk Empire" is one of the most gorgeous looking shows on television but this writer kinda lost interest after the premiere. (And the less said about flagship shows like "Entourage" and "True Blood" the better.) While there's no guarantee that the "Hobgoblin" pilot will get picked up for a series order, with this much talent behind the camera it's a pretty safe bet we'll get a look at the show sometime in 2012.

Pubrick

Haha, the "ass to ass" guy.. nice one mod.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky Kicks Off Venice Film Festival With Off-Color Joke
The "Black Swan" director and jury president tells George Clooney to watch out for residual urine from last year's event.
Source: THR

VENICE --The Venice Film Festival got underway for the 68th time Wednesday with the well-received world premiere of the George Clooney political thriller Ides of March and an off-color joke from jury president Darren Aronofsky that may have left Clooney squirming in his seat.

Venice biennale president Paolo Baratta said the opening ceremony doubled as a second dedication for the festival's central venue, the Palazzo del Cinema. Baratta gave a brief history of the venue, which was first opened in the 1930s and received a significant facelift in recent months.

Aronofsky, whose film Black Swan opened the festival a year ago, returned this year as jury president. In his remarks after the jury was announced, Aronofsky gave Clooney his own history lesson about the seat Clooney occupied, which is reserved for the director of the festival's opening night film.

"Let's just say you should be happy this building has been refurbished," Aronofsky said. "Last year, I sat there between Natalie Portman and the president of Italy, and I think I peed in my pants. But they say the place has been redone, so I guess any humidity you feel there is your own."

Earlier in the day, Clooney said Ides of March, which he co-wrote, co-produced, directed and starred in, helps illustrate the "seductive" qualities of politics, though he said the notion of running for office was not seductive for him.

"I have a great job," Clooney said, then gesturing at co-stars Ryan Gosling, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, and Paul Giamatti, he continued, "I get to hang out with a lot of seductive people."

"I have no personal interest in becoming involved in politics," said Clooney, who is an outspoken left-wing voice in the U.S., from campaigning against the war in Iraq, against the genocide in Darfur, and in active support for U.S. President Barak Obama. But he denied Ides of March was a criticism of government.

"I don't think of this as a political film," he said. "It's a film about morality, about trading your soul for a specific outcome."

The film is the first to screen of the 23 vying for Venice's prestigious Golden Lion award, the festival's top prize. All but one of the candidates has been named, with the final film expected to be unveiled in the next several days.

Among other A-list talents to arrive in Venice on the opening day were singer-turned-director Madonna, Kate Winslet, Vincent Cassel, and director Jonathan Demme. The festival runs through Sept. 10.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 31, 2011, 06:55:17 PM
Darren Aronofsky Kicks Off Venice Film Festival With Off-Color Joke
The "Black Swan" director and jury president tells George Clooney to watch out for residual urine from last year's event.
Source: THR

"Let's just say you should be happy this building has been refurbished," Aronofsky said. "Last year, I sat there between Natalie Portman and the president of Italy, and I think I peed in my pants. But they say the place has been redone, so I guess any humidity you feel there is your own."

awwwww sheeeeit, look out Von Trier, there's a new festival badboy, GODDAMN!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

I don't get it.   :ponder: Didn't Aronofsky just own himself by saying he pissed his pants one time with NatPo sitting next to him?