David Gordon Green

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2003, 10:50:11 AM

MacGuffin

Green set to direct 'Your Highness'
Universal comedy will star Danny McBride
Source: Variety

Universal Pictures has set David Gordon Green to direct "Your Highness," a comedy that will star Danny McBride.

Scott Stuber will produce through his Universal-based company. Production begins in January.

McBride, who wrote the script with Ben Best, will play an arrogant, lazy prince who must complete a quest to save his father's kingdom.

"This is such an original idea for a comedy that takes place in a kingdom with dragons and wizards, with Danny at the center as the outcast brother who gets an opportunity to prove himself," Stuber said.

Stuber said "Your Highness" shapes up as the next film for Green, whose directing efforts include "George Washington," "Snow Angels" and "All the Real Girls," the last of which marked McBride's acting debut. The pair were college classmates.

McBride's upcoming projects include Friday opener "The Foot Fist Way" and two summer comedies: the Judd Apatow-produced "Pineapple Express," which Green directed, and the Ben Stiller-directed "Tropic Thunder." McBride is currently filming "Land of the Lost" with Will Ferrell for Universal.

Best wrote "The Foot Fist Way" with McBride and Jody Hill; he also co-stars in the film.

Stuber is producing "Big Brothers," "Wolf Man" and "Traveling."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Update #2: Natalie Portman to Topline 'Suspiria' Remake!
Source: Bloody-Disgusting 

We heard some interesting rumblings this afternoon that we are trying desperately to confirm. What we've been told - and should be taken strictly as rumor - is that Handsome Charlie Films, which is headed by Natalie Portman and Annette Savitch, will be producing the remake of Dario Argento's Suspiria. In addition, word has it Portman will topline the film that David Gordon Green is attached to direct. Green's PINEAPPLE EXPRESS hits theaters tomorrow. Remember that this is RUMOR until confirmed.

In Dario Argento's original a young American dancer travels to Europe to join a famous ballet school. As she arrives, the camera turns to another young woman, who appears to be fleeing from the school. She returns to her apartment where she is gruesomely murdered by a hideous creature. Meanwhile, the young American is trying to settle in at the ballet school, but hears strange noises and is troubled by bizarre occurrences. She eventually discovers that the school is merely a front for a much more sinister organization.

Update: We 100% confirmed the story with various sources, although, Natalie's publicist is reporting otherwise and ensures us that nothing is signed and/or confirmed. Watch for further updates.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

David Gordon Green to helm 'Freaks'
Overture nabbed rights to the Dark Horse graphic novel
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Overture Films has tapped David Gordon Green to direct the horror thriller "Freaks of the Heartland," written by freshman scribes Peter Sattler and Geoff Davey. The company recently purchased the rights to the Dark Horse graphic novel written by Steve Niles.

Green and Dark Horse Entertainment president Mike Richardson are producing. Niles, who also wrote "30 Days of Night," is executive producing.

Illustrated by Greg Ruth, Niles' six-part 2004 series about the horrible secret of a rural Middle American town involves Trevor Owen's attempts to protect his "monster" of a 6-year-old younger brother and Gristlewood Valley's other "freaks" from their parents' worst instincts.

Overture COO Danny Rosett, who worked with Green on his 2004 film "Undertow" when Rosett was at United Artists, pre-emptively purchased the rights for the company.

Overture continues to accelerate its development of genre material; it has "Pandorum" shooting in Berlin and "The Crazies," a reinvention of George A. Romero's 1973 horror film, in development with Breck Eisner attached to direct.

The Liberty Media studio also recently acquired remake rights to the Swedish horror film "Let the Right One In," which "Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves will write and direct; the Icelandic mystery "Jar City"; and the Israeli comedy "92 Minutes."

Overture has "Last Chance Harvey" and "Nothing Like the Holidays" releasing before year's end. "Righteous Kill" was its most recent opening.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Franco, McBride re-team on comedy
'Pineapple Express' director behind 'Highness'
Source: Variety

James Franco is joining Danny McBride in "Your Highness," the Universal Pictures comedy to be directed by David Gordon Green.

Scott Stuber is producing through his U-based Stuber Co. Pic begins production July 20 in Belfast. Stuber, McBride and Green set the project at U last year (Daily Variety, May 30).

Scripted by McBride and Ben Best, the comedy follows two spoiled and arrogant princes in a medieval fantasy setting. When an evil wizard casts a spell on their father and kidnaps the older prince's fiance, they're forced to go on a quest to save their family and the kingdom.

Stuber Co.'s Jon Mone, McBride and Mark Huffam are executive producers.

Franco starred for Green in Columbia Pictures comedy "Pineapple Express," which also starred McBride.

Last seen in "Milk," Franco plays poet Allen Ginsberg in the Rob Epstein/Jeffrey Friedman-directed "Howl."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

That sounds fucking stupid but it will be awesome.

Who would have thought that DGG would end up becoming one of the best comedy filmmakers in the game?

I hope he doesn't abandon the other type of flicks. Snow Angels was mad underrated. And George Washington and All The Real Girls are two of the best movies of the decade.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

'All The Real Girls' is one of the favorite romantic films I've ever seen in my life and it makes me emotional every time I see it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

I don't think he's all that - I thought pineapple express was ok, same with east bound & down.  he lets his actors improvise - that's about all I can say about his comedy works.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Natalie Portman joins 'Your Highness'
Universal comedy shoots this summer in Northern Ireland
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Natalie Portman is joining Danny McBride and James Franco in "Your Highness," a Universal comedy that David Gordon Green is shooting in the summer in Northern Ireland.

"Highness," written by Ben Best and McBride, centers on an arrogant, lazy prince (McBride) who must complete a quest to save his father's kingdom. Joining him on the quest is McBride's more heroic brother, played by Franco.

Portman will play McBride's love interest, a warrior princess.

Scott Stuber is producing.

Portman is currently shooting "Hesher," an indie drama that marks her inaugural entry into the movie producing world with her new shingle, Handsomecharlie Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I read the script for this and its pretty funny

MacGuffin

How Danny McBride will tweak fantasy in Your Highness, with Natalie Portman
Source: SciFi Wire

Danny McBride, who co-wrote and stars in the fantasy comedy Your Highness, told reporters that the film will offer a new comedic take on the sword-and-sorcery genre and confirmed that Natalie Portman will play a role. The film, directed by David Gordon Green, stars McBride as a lazy prince who has to step into action to fight an evil wizard.

"It's just like a classic quest tale with all of our f--ked-up view on it," McBride said in a group interview on Friday in Hollywood, where he was promoting Land of the Lost. "There's everything from stop-motion creatures in it to crazy CG creatures to puppets, like in Dark Crystal. It's a wide variety of things that we're pulling from that are going to be in it."

The following Q&A features edited excerpts from the interview. Your Highness begins filming this summer.

What's going on with Your Highness?

McBride: We're actually doing that right now. I just came from Belfast. We're over there getting that going, and that's shaping up really nice. We just snagged Natalie Portman this week, so right now it's [James] Franco, Natalie Portman and myself. We're looking to lock the rest of the cast down in the next week or so, but it looks like it's going to be a pretty crazy movie. The sets are being built. It's all huge and crazy. I've got to learn how to ride [a] horse and swing a sword starting next week, so that should be interesting.

Is it a stoner medieval comedy?

McBride: It's not really stoner. I guess it's stoner as much as the Lord of the Rings books were for that culture. I mean, if you're stoned, you'll probably get a kick out of watching this. My character is a lazy second-born prince that knows he's not going to be king, so he just f--ks off all the time. He smokes a little bit of the wizard's grass, but it's not centered around smoking the wizard's [grass]. Franco's my older brother, and he's like an action star. He's amazing; everyone loves him. His fiancee gets kidnapped by this evil wizard, and we have to go on the road and save her.

Do you have fun with the magical fantasy cliches?

McBride: Yeah. We don't want it to be a spoof at all, so it's all just kind of inspired by those things, but it just has its own tone. That's been kind of interesting when we're in the meetings with the people at Universal, and they're like, "What is this movie?" Like, it's Barry Lyndon meets Krull. They're just like, "I don't know if we're interested in that movie."

Would you approach an Ian McKellen or Christopher Lee for the wizard role?

McBride: You know, there were thoughts of that. The casting, they're taking it very seriously. David's been over in London casting. For the most part, besides Natalie and Franco and myself, we're going for a pretty much total British cast, and not necessarily comedians. We want the world to feel like it is a fantasy movie: It is serious, and then the comedy just comes from "This is the last dude who belongs in this sort of world." So those sort of caliber of actors, that's definitely something that we would be interested in, to make it feel like it's real, as real as a fantasy movie, I guess, can feel.

How long is the shoot?

McBride: We start it in July. We start, I think, in the second week of July, and we go until October, into the middle of October.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I bet it'll be a movie, like pineapple express, that doesn't have enough gags to last through 90 minutes.
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

you dont have enough gags to last through 90 minutes
who likes movies anyway

pete

enough, I'll gag you through the last 90 minutes.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Bethie

Quote from: Stefen on June 05, 2009, 09:22:17 AM
haha. gross.

haha. yeah. i was like, with a spoon? maybe something got lost in translation.
who likes movies anyway