Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

grand theft sparrow

Supposedly the test webcast they did earlier tonight.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 08, 2007, 06:26:07 PM
ComScore senior analyst Andrew Lipsman strongly defended his company's results when asked about the band's claims. "We're confident in our data," he said. "There's a minimal margin of error based on the size of the sample we used and the narrow range of values."

This is commonly done in market research.  A sample of users are polled, and an estimated value is taken from that small sample.  I stress the word ESTIMATED, not exact. 

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

AWESOME.

But man, this really highlights why Youtube was the WORST thing to happen to internet art. The quality is horrible and the audio is all out of sync, might be intentional but the the point still stands, flash is crap.

Imagine back in 1999 and watching the Magnolia trailer on Youtube or google video and the quality is crap and the audio is all out of sync? I wouldn't have watched that trailer over and over again that's for sure. Everything should be done in quicktime.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

Quote from: Stefen on November 10, 2007, 07:31:49 PMthis really highlights why Youtube was the WORST thing to happen to internet art.
no effing way! the out of syncedness is the fault of the uploader and it could've been better quality had it not been so horribly compressed before being uploaded. youtube has allowed countless artists to put stuff out there that wouldn't have been accessable otherwise. or perhaps wouldn't have even existed without it. and maybe a large portion of that stuff is crap but it's still interesting, dammit. i was going to link to a fantastic compilation of youtubers here but the video seems to have been deleted due to use of avro part. i'm now on a mission to find some flv of it somewhere or find the person responsible for it..

EDIT: FOUND IT!

anyways here's some synced versions:

jigsaw http://youtube.com/watch?v=UKrsBVFsfIQ (i love this so much... it's the most insightful thing they could've ever done about what they feel about the song in a wordless way..)
seven parody http://youtube.com/watch?v=A7MkQJuaOrc

Pubrick

jigsaw best track 07 and best video 08 barring any unforeseen kubrick lost tapes.
under the paving stones.

brockly

UNRAVEL

i read a while back that this was thom's favourite song. that made me happy.

Stefen

Quote from: picolas on November 11, 2007, 03:04:54 AM
Quote from: Stefen on November 10, 2007, 07:31:49 PMthis really highlights why Youtube was the WORST thing to happen to internet art.
no effing way! the out of syncedness is the fault of the uploader and it could've been better quality had it not been so horribly compressed before being uploaded. youtube has allowed countless artists to put stuff out there that wouldn't have been accessable otherwise. or perhaps wouldn't have even existed without it. and maybe a large portion of that stuff is crap but it's still interesting, dammit. i was going to link to a fantastic compilation of youtubers here but the video seems to have been deleted due to use of avro part. i'm now on a mission to find some flv of it somewhere or find the person responsible for it..

EDIT: FOUND IT!

anyways here's some synced versions:

jigsaw http://youtube.com/watch?v=UKrsBVFsfIQ (i love this so much... it's the most insightful thing they could've ever done about what they feel about the song in a wordless way..)
seven parody http://youtube.com/watch?v=A7MkQJuaOrc

Yeah, I guess you got a point. It is nice to be able to upload anything at any time and do it quickly, but it comes at a cost because the quality is so crap.

That Youtubers video highlights why youtube is great, but for every homemade piece of "art" theres a piece of produced stuff that just looks terrible.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

I usually post a list when I poke my head back in Xixax, so here's a top five:

1. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
2. Videotape
3. All I Need
4. Nude
5. 15 Step

This is after weeks of light to heavy listening. Nude was the obvious early favorite, but there's not as much to discover as there is with the other tracks, and the end annoys me now just a little bit. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is the most fascinating song to me. I had trouble with it at first, and it's really grown on me. I think I appreciated it more after I saw this early performance that Pitchfork plucked from Youtube. Videotape is just fantastic and requires no explanation. All I Need has the dark/mysterious thing going on with great melodies and a crescendo that works... gives me chills. I took for granted that the opener was going to be great, so I don't have much to say about 15 Step, except that the bits with the kids cheering rocked my socks. I am not at all a fan of Bodysnatchers (can't stand the first two minutes), but I'm willing to give it a second chance at a higher bitrate. I think House of Cards is the weakest track on the album, although it's not a bad song. It just doesn't do much for me anymore.

I first listened to the album late at night (about 3:00 on the night of the release) sitting in a chair in a dark room with my eyes closed. I was very tired, to the point that I was actually drifting in and out of sleep. I'm not sure how that shaped my understanding of the album, but it definitely did something. I was initially disappointed. (Mostly didn't think it was dark enough.) I think I really started getting it on the third or fourth listen, with a nearly full appreciation by the sixth or seventh. I'm fascinated by this phenomenon, because it happened to me with OK Computer (I was a bit musically retarded at the time) and definitely HTTT, which I grew to love. This didn't happen with Amnesiac, probably because it was exactly what I was looking for at the time. Also, I've always seen Amnesiac and Kid A as competitors, which is definitely unhealthy and needs to stop. Someday I'll make a post indulging that, though. So does anyone know why this "growing on you" phenomenon happens so much with Radiohead music? RK, maybe you have some insights, judging by your posts in this thread. It's not the most complex music in the world, and yet this happens over and over again with many different people.

Pubrick

is there a reason why you talk about every song but don't mention Jigsaw AT ALL?

at least you're not a snatcher.  :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrick on November 11, 2007, 08:27:01 PM
is there a reason why you talk about every song but don't mention Jigsaw AT ALL?

I love the song, I just don't have anything important to say about it. Umm... I love the strings toward the end. I also like Reckoner, but I think it's been praised enough.

I definitely can't get in to Bodysnatchers, though. What am I missing? Maybe I'm not missing anything and just refuse to believe that there's a deadweight at the beginning of an otherwise great album.

MacGuffin

Radiohead Sets U.S. Deal For New Album Release
Source: Billboard

As expected, Radiohead has completed a deal with ATO Records Group for the U.S. release of its new album, "In Rainbows." The album, to be released on the TBD Records imprint, will arrive Jan. 1, a day after being issued in the United Kindgdom by XL Recordings.

In recent weeks, ATO quickly emerged as the front-runner and most attractive U.S. home for Radiohead, who recorded for EMI until 2005. Among the draws was the presence of Phil Costello, Capitol's former senior VP of promotion and marketing, who is now at ATO.

And although no official relationship with the band was announced beforehand, ATO has been working the Radiohead tracks "Bodysnatchers" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" to U.S. radio for the past couple of weeks.

As for the meaning of TBD Records, a spokesperson says, "we ran into trouble in trying to clear all previously discussed potential label names."

"In Rainbows" was first made available Oct. 10 via Radiohead.com, just 10 days after the band announced the album was complete. Fans were given the option to name their own price for a download of the album, which is also being sold in a deluxe discbox edition with CD and vinyl. That package ships "on or before Dec. 3," according to the site.

Radiohead will support "In Rainbows" with world tour dates beginning next spring. The group returned to action with a live Webcast Friday on its site, featuring performances of songs from the new album.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i like Bodysnatchers more after seeing the live take on it.

i think the main thing i hate is just the sound of the distorted guitar.

to me, the sound of the instrument can be just as important as the other elements - or how it is recorded more or less.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks