Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Stefen

Does anyone here read or post on the atease message boards? I stick to the off-topic music forum, but I've been checking out the radiohead forum and people there are really upset at this album. People seem to hate it.

It seems to be torn between the people who wanted another Kid A and the people who wanted another OK Computer. It seems the OKC kids won, but the Kid A kids are meaner.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

That's dumb. How bout people wish for a new Radiohead album instead? Because it's good. Even songs I don't like on the album I find loving at various times.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

Quote from: Gamblour. on October 14, 2007, 01:16:29 PM
That's dumb. How bout people wish for a new Radiohead album instead? Because it's good. Even songs I don't like on the album I find loving at various times.

Yeah, I think that's the beauty of the new album. A new favorite every day.

I can't wait for the b-sides. It's going to be like a whole new album.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick on October 12, 2007, 12:55:37 AM
i still haven't heard the album.

classic pubrick by the way.

Quote from: Pubrick on October 13, 2007, 06:39:53 AM
ten tracks isn't enuff. 4mins per track isn't enuff. perfection isn't enuff. a review isn't enuff. i owe them 42 minutes of unparalleled aural pleasure. Jigsaw Falling Into Place is the birth of consciousness itself.

this is the year xixax was made for.

here here by the way.

Myxo

I've probably listened to this album 10ish times now. Someone said that next to Ok Computer, if that was your favorite Radiohead album, this might be #2 in my book. Thats a tough call. Kid A is pretty fucking amazing. I can't wait for a tour next year. More than just the east coast and California hopefully. Anyway, if you put each track in a room by itself, I'm loving them in this order.

1. Bodysnatchers (Right around 2:10 this song takes off and it's just crazy good. This will end up being a music video.)
2. Jigsaws Falling into Place
3. Reckoner (I was pissed off that they didn't record the original version of this song but the substitute is beautiful.)
4. All I Need
5. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
6. 15 Step
7. Nude (I wish this was closer to the version they played live several years running before this album.)
8. Videotape
9. Faust Arp
10. House of Cards

modage

9.3 on Pfork.

my fav tracks to least:

1. Bodysnatchers
2. 15 Step
3. Reckoner
4. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
5. Videotape
6. Faust Arp
7. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
8. Nude
9. All I Need
10. House Of Cards
and
Quote from: Stefen on October 14, 2007, 02:02:28 PM
I can't wait for the b-sides. It's going to be like a whole new album.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

playing it to death. HTTT survived with only one casualty (myxomatosis).

bodysnatchers will be this album's myxomatosis.

if the above rankings are anything to go by, it's also this album's clockwork orange.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Mod's ranking is pretty much my own except I would switch Jigsaw with Nude and then Jigsaw with Faust Arp.

Can't really take much stock into what P4K says. Their reviews are usually awful and extremely trendy, but their news is top knotch. Has anyone re-read their Kid A review? It might be the most poorly written review I've ever read. The only time Pitchfork matters is when they drop the 10 hammer, because that's kind of a big deal.

It's just a really beautiful album. They aern't pushing the envelope or really doing anything different, it's just a collection of 10 beautiful songs. I do feel 15 Step, Bodysnatchers, & Jigsaw are out of place on this album, but they are great songs nonetheless so it fits in that way. I put it up there on the second tier with The Bends, and Kid A, but not on the top tier with OKC, but definetely above the third tier with Amnesiac, HTTT, and Pablo Honey. It stands up there with some of their best work.

SoNowThen

Where did all this contempt for HTTT come from? Where's this crazy unevenness that I keep hearing about? In Rainbows is in a 5-way tie for second place, with Pablo Honey at the rock bottom third spot, imo.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Stefen

HTTT kind of sucks. It's what Coldplay would sound like trying to make Kid A. It's got some good songs, but overall it's pretty disposable.

Myxo

I'm pretty annoyed that they strip down and sterilize some of their live songs. Hail to the Thief had some of THE best tracks played live I've ever heard from Radiohead. Shame that they toned down something like There, There. They did the same thing with Jigsaws Falling into Place on this album. It's still a great song, but the live version is just so much better.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/16654550/radioheads_in_rainbows_trackbytrack_preview/9

How the fuck do you not record a version much closer to the live track above? (Audio version)

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThen on October 15, 2007, 11:25:38 AM
Where did all this contempt for HTTT come from?

No one is allowed to like more than 5 Radiohead albums at a time.  Period.

Pubrick

Quote from: Myxo on October 15, 2007, 12:12:40 PM
How the fuck do you not record a version much closer to the live track above? (Audio version)

what the hell? the audio version is almost exactly the same as the one on the album, apart from some different shit in the beginning and around the "dance dance dance" fade. what you want is LIVE album, with that kind of energy to 11 feel throughout the whole song. that's the main difference between live and album, and that's what kind of killed Punch Up at a Wedding and to a lesser extent Where I End and You Begin on HTTT.

1. OKC, HTTT.
2. ka, amn, tb.
100. ph.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

HTTT on the top tier?!!

I bet you wear briefs over your dinner slacks, and missionary is your preferred method of sexual penetration.

EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

hedwig

i think i agree with that list except that i don't hate PH as much as pubrick does. even if OK Computer is obviously the "best", i think HTTT is probably my favorite. it was the perfect culmination of everything that had come before it, the experimental stuff and thematic content, everything. i even love Myxomatosis.

but In Rainbows is still the only music i listen to.