the wire

Started by pete, February 14, 2007, 01:40:51 AM

picolas

THE WIRE
(THE WIRE)

that's almost really nice packaging. dammit.

Pas

Pisses me off when they sell complete series set that are pricier than buying each one separately.

Like The Office did with their new ultimate edition of 4 seasons that is 30$ pricier at HMV than buying the four.

Anyway I already have this series. And what a great one.

PS : Packaging is a let down imo

Sleepless

Amazon.co.uk has this

which is cheaper than buying them all separately.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

what are we thinking about, room?
context, context, context.

pete

yeah, fucking season 4 has me more cautious than a fucked up cat.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

just finished season 5 after holding off for a couple months ... ouch by far the worst of a great great series otherwise.

SPOILERS

The way they killed off Omar, wwwwwwwwwhaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttt ???????????? comeeeeee on...... my favorite bad ass in tv history is killed off silly by a little kid. After the ultimte showdown in season 4 he deserved better. Theyshould have killed him at the showdown if they were gonna kill him. shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit (Clay Davis style)

Also, WHO CARES FOR THE LYING JOURNALIST???????

the whole fake serial killer thing, what is this shit ? comedy show now ?

im pissed at season 5

Stefen

Spoilers.

I thought Omar's death was fitting. Nobdoy was going to catch him slipping. Nobody but a young kid that is.

Also, I think season 2 is the worst season. Season 5 is after that. Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Overall, one of the best shows of all time. It's just that good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

if omar gets a glorified death then he's just gonna be a fictional gangster.  his casual death (and how it doesn't get reported) makes sure that he's not above the show's grim worldview.  I liked the lying journalist just because of how indifferent the story became.  I thought the weakest parts of the show were the homeless people.
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Spoiler warning (like 3 years later)

I remember reading an interview with the actor who plays Omar and he was basically saying how you'd never see Omar walk through a door in slow motion and start shooting people because it would make the character completely unbelievable and I couldn't agree more. The way Omar died is the only realistic way for him to die. He's not going to die in a gun fight with an enemy. He's too smart for that. He's going to get shot by a young boy in a convenience store while he's buying cigarettes. If Omar had to go, I think that was the best way to do it.

And I didn't mind the homeless storyline. I thought it was necessary for Bubbles alone. The most heartbreaking part of season one isn't Greggs getting shot. It's Greggs getting shot and not being able to come through for Bubbles when he's trying to get clean.

My least favorite were the roughnecks at the docks. And some of the politicians. The main police and the dudes on the streets were the best.  
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

I can see your point both of you, and I also know he HAD to die when he came back. I just feel frustrated by the whole thing, which may mean it was effective and realist. I guess you guys make a really good point.

As for the lying journalist, I don't see what you mean Pete when you say he makes the stories indifferent ? It was dragging on and on and going nowhere fast.

I never cared for the homeless in all the five seasons so there wasn't anything new there for me. I hardly care for them irl in fact so that explains that.

I liked the dock storyline and the greek, even though it really wasn't ''Wire-esque''

But I'd like to hear what you think of the whole fake-serial-killer thing. That shit was weak.  They had good shit with Marlo taking over the co-op and re-establishing total dominion. They had some good shit with Clay Davies and the Grand Jury. They had some good shit with Omar back with a vengeance. Instead of developing these storylines, they make up some weak shit about the police having no money, no cars so they could make no police work. bad idea when you're doing a damn police procedural. So they make up this totally impossible fake serial killer shit, that can ONLY be explained to fix the problem of the police having no money so the story can go nowhere, A PROBLEM THEY CREATED FOR THEMSELVES. that's just imbecile

And the whole clocks secret code, plllllease. Is this fucking Monk ???

Also, good idea to get into police journalism. BUT INSTEAD of giving us a good look in that world, they make up this whole TWIST that the journalist invent quotes. WHO CARES??? This show used to be about what's real, it FELT REAL. Season five feels like it's for ADD people who need a twist every 30 minute.

This fucking season is ruining the fond memory I had of this series

pete

the wire - five season (w)rap up.
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

Got S1 for xmas and finished it a couple weeks ago. Awesome. Just picked up S2-4 at $30 a pop thanks to Circuit City's liquidation.  :yabbse-grin: Looking forward to them!!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Season 1 = awesome.
Season 2 = kind of sucks, but stick through it because....
Season 3 = AWESOME.
Season 4 = AWESOME.
Season 5 = awesome.

RegularKarate

Really?  I thought it was more like...

Season 1 = AWWWWWWWWWWWEEESOOOOOOOMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Season 2 = not as good, but stick through it because....
Season 3 = AWESOME.
Season 4 = AWESOME.
Season 5 = awesome.

Stefen

I wouldn't argue with that. I'm a Marlo nuthugger, so I prefer when he shows up.