Family Guy

Started by SHAFTR, June 27, 2003, 01:27:41 PM

Raikus

Very not up to par with his other stuff. Seemed like Seth is toning down the material. Hopefully the trailer in no way represents the actual show. Then I'll be happy.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

I like the premise and the characters, but the timing is off. It's almost as bad as Clerks.

I just hope the editing was compromised for this pilot.

ono

I finally got around to watching this.  It seems like Family Guy reworked - every character parallel to someone in Family Guy.  And - small world - I actually did a short film about a temperamental fish with a Napoleon complex a la Stewie, and McFarlane seemed to have tapped into the same idea here.  Overall it was funny, some parts were painful, some parts were pretty good.  I just hope he can throw some originality into it, 'cause it seems like just a bunch of stereotypes right now.  The dog and the toaster were priceless, though.

RegularKarate

So they're bringing back Family Guy AND they're going to have this?

hmm... his humor is spread thin enough as it is with just one show... no way it can tollerate two.

Double cancelled and soon forgotten.

cine

From Fox.com:

"The premiere date for the new season of Family Guy has finally been confirmed. No more "FOX 2005" for us. Oh no, we have a date AND a time. The season premiere of Family Guy season 4 will take place on Sunday, May 1st 9/8c on FOX."

Pas

I watched American Dad last night. What the hell is wrong with ?! She'd go better with than this big CIA guy. It was kinda funny anyway.

Ravi

It was okay, though it has some of the same problems that FG had.  Jokes that go on too long, some of which aren't that funny and a little too much random humor.  The alien character is pretty funny.  Every character, like has been mentioned, seems to be a parody of the characters on Family Guy.  The German fish thing is mildly funny, though too Stewie-esque for me.  Too bad they explained the accent.  It would have been funnier if he had the accent for no reason.  The boy on the show is the male version of Meg.  I wish McFarlane had done something more different from FG.  Something not centered around a father and his family, perhaps?

The dog and toaster were the best parts, I agree.

RegularKarate

yeah, I watched that show... my initial thoughts remain... This show AND Family Guy shouldn't exist at the same time.  They're too similar.  These are evidently just neighbors of the Griffins.  There is nothing new here.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateyeah, I watched that show... my initial thoughts remain... This show AND Family Guy shouldn't exist at the same time.  They're too similar.  These are evidently just neighbors of the Griffins.  There is nothing new here.
ppl don't give a shit. 15yr olds nationwide hav spoken: they like shit.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Awesome. I was getting worried for a second that we didn't have enough shit on the air that meatheads can quote. All is well now. ALLLRRIIIGGHHTT"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

American Dad is the TV animated sitcom equivalent of the high school valedictorian furiously scribbling out a major homework assignment the period before it's due.

I don't want to say "worst show ever" but it's not far off from the running.  Family Guy, which I'm not particularly a fan of, is a better satire (using the term loosely) of the American family than a show that's actually billing itself as a satire of the American family.  I don't see how it could make a connection with either liberals or conservatives as satire or a symbol of pride; it's not funny or accurate enough.  It just seems to be pandering to that cross-section of people whose ears prick up when they hear the word "American".

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I figured American Dad would be funnier since Seth should've gotten some experience at timing and animation... but really it was like taking a step back to the earlier Family Guy animation with fewer jokes.

For some odd reason he decided to try to run a cartoon that has worked (Family Guy) and a cartoon that will follow the Simpsons formula (bad animation and little to no humor at first, and out of nowhere is hilarious and the animation gets cleaner... then declines and as a last ditch effort to be funny, gets a lot like Family Guy.)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

peaceisourprofession

well, I can't say much for American Dad. but kudos to adult swim for making the 30 second commercial of the dad shooting the toaster.
i love family guy and adore the simpsons, but frankly I am getting just a little tired of the dumb-ass father, attractive wife, one intelligent kid, one dumb kid family thing as far as new cartoons coming out goes....get innovative or something...
"I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." - Mother Theresa
excerpt from her nobel prize acceptance speech

Stefen

new episode of family guy has leaked, its all over torrentspy and other file sharing programs.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Stefennew episode of family guy has leaked, its all over torrentspy and other file sharing programs.

How is it?
WWPTAD?