(Wes Anderson) Hyundai commercials

Started by MacGuffin, February 25, 2012, 01:17:20 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

They're no American Express commercial.
My house, my rules, my coffee

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

At least Anderson is exercising his hyper-stylistic vision in commercials and not limiting it to his films alone...in a sense, that might mean that he's working on substance under the style, which might be hard for some of us to believe.

Honestly, I think "Life Aquatic" just kind of messed with all our heads because it took the style too far over everything else.  Hell, "Darjeeling Limited" was a big surprise for me in that it wasn't so...blatantly..."HEY LOOK!"  I mean, it was there, but hey, some of it was just plain old India being India.

but I digress...nothing can beat that American Express Commercial.  I did quite enjoy the Stella Artois commercial, and even these ones (the baby in the upper cabinet? wtf? hahah), and the Brad Pitt-goes-Hulot excursion.  They ALL beat the crap out of those Aquafina ones with people dressed as animals.  Those sucked.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

say...that first one looks a lot more like Michel Gondry on repeat viewings...

Pubrick

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on February 29, 2012, 08:56:51 PM
Honestly, I think "Life Aquatic" just kind of messed with all our heads because it took the style too far over everything else.  Hell, "Darjeeling Limited" was a big surprise for me in that it wasn't so...blatantly..."HEY LOOK!

I think you have those mixed up.
under the paving stones.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Pubrick on February 29, 2012, 09:45:39 PM
Honestly, I think "Life Aquatic" just kind of messed with all our heads because it took the style too far over everything else.  Hell, "Darjeeling Limited" was a big surprise for me in that it wasn't so...blatantly..."HEY LOOK!

I think you have those mixed up.

hmm...should've protected myself with an "IMO"

theyarelegion

I mean, it was there, but hey, some of it was just plain old India being India.

what..?

darjeeling stands my favourite of his movies

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: theyarelegion on March 06, 2012, 12:25:18 AM
I mean, it was there, but hey, some of it was just plain old India being India.

what..?

darjeeling stands my favourite of his movies

what I meant by that was that when the movie came out, some people said it was so overly quirky that they expected Wes to pop out of the set and yell "look everybody! isn't this all so WEIRD!"  Seriously. that was something I read on a message board.  I completely disagree.
Scenes like the airport or when they were going thru town or were at the temple or hanging in the village before the funeral were decorated, but not by Anderson's production people.   These areas were that way before the crew got there because that's the way India is.  People were accusing Wes of being overly quirky when it's the most natural of a group of settings the man has used since Bottle Rocket.
While Life Aquatic had some really cool stuff in it like that stop-motion shark, much of the in between seemed stylistically sporadic which in turn gave it a thinness IMODarjeeling Limited, on the other hand, told a story that didn't have to use quite as much dialogue or set-dressing IMO.
In other words, I thought it was good too.
Although I WOULD like to see a movie with a family that talks to its car like that one above....minus the last incarnation

pete

while I loved the movie, your "india being india" defense isn't a very good one. were savijit ray's films not of india being india then? you sure the art direction and the rest of wes anderson's direction had nothing to do with it, and it was just him pointing the camera at a country? did one of the most meticulous filmmaker of his generation just give up when he saw India?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton