8 - Night of the Living Dead
7 - Exorcist
6 - Jaws
5 - Carnival of Souls
4 - Freaks
3 - Alien
2 - Event Horizon
1 - The Shining
-2 points for letting Criterion tell you what good horror films are.
-1 point for not having a good famous monster film made after the silent era.  (dracula, frankenstein, werewolves, etc.)
-2 points for including freaks because its not a horror film.
-1 point for ranking event horizon so highly, because no matter how freaky it is there is no way it ranks above exorcist or alien or night of the living dead.
-3 points for not including an evil dead film.  c'mon, who are you?

to refute...

I probably won't ever get the Carnival of Souls Criterion, it doesn't really compel me past the actual movie itself... it just creeped me out at certain points, and Eyes Without A Face was really twisted, especially how haunting it was at the end.

The post-silent movie monsters didn't really do much for me.

Freaks wasn't horror, you're right, but to tell me that you weren't a little frightened at the end means you made yourself laugh, because the midgets with knives and the torso with a knife in his teeth was freaky.

At the time that I saw it, Event Horizon really messed with my head (granted, I was pretty young) and all that twisted thinking scared me.

Evil Dead was more entertaining (and very, at that) than scary to me.

I don't see how you can consider Freddy Vs. Jason and Jeepers Creepers good movies and critique my list.  I'd figure you'd just nod and accept it without calling attention to yourself.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: walruSI'd figure you'd just nod and accept it without calling attention to yourself.
if he was gonna take that approach he wouldn't hav asked u to list anything in the first place.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: walruSEvil Dead was more entertaining (and very, at that) than scary to me.

I think you're confusing the second one with the first one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: walruSEvil Dead was more entertaining (and very, at that) than scary to me.

I think you're confusing the second one with the first one.

Maybe I should go watch Evil Dead again, but I don't remember being scared much... some of the lines were quite humorous, though.

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: walruSI'd figure you'd just nod and accept it without calling attention to yourself.
if he was gonna take that approach he wouldn't hav asked u to list anything in the first place.

On second thought, it was a rude thing to say, anyway.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: walruSI don't see how you can consider Freddy Vs. Jason and Jeepers Creepers good movies and critique my list.  I'd figure you'd just nod and accept it without calling attention to yourself.
well SEE.  i never put them in my top 10, but that doesn't mean i can't like them.  but rather than saying 'hey, The Shining.  i love that movie...' or 'hey, Alien...' you only chime in to tell me what terrible choices i make.  if you were coming from a vast horror knowledge like rk or mac then i might be more inclined to take your opinion seriously, but since you seem to be a more casual observer without much of a taste for it, i'll continue on and hope my future choices can meet with your approval.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Quote from: modagebut since you seem to be a more casual observer without much of a taste for it, i'll continue on and hope my future choices can meet with your approval.

Don't you mean disapproval?
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modagebut rather than saying 'hey, The Shining.  i love that movie...' or 'hey, Alien...' you only chime in to tell me what terrible choices i make.  if you were coming from a vast horror knowledge like rk or mac then i might be more inclined to take your opinion seriously, but since you seem to be a more casual observer without much of a taste for it, i'll continue on and hope my future choices can meet with your approval.

I've agreed with your list all except Freddy Vs Jason and Jeepers Creepers.  It's a very good list, and it's cool you're going through and naming them.  I didn't mean to cause shit over saying they were bad movies, but to me they were just horrible.

To each his own.

modage

finally saw Land Of The Dead after missing it in theatres due to my moving to new york during its like 2 weeks in theatres.  i am in the boat with most people when i say its nowhere near the first two but still kinda good.  i guess the biggest problem is while its never 'bad', it never really gets going either or has any 'hell yeah!' moments for me.  i could've used more asia argento too.  in some ways the sacrilgeous dawn remake is better than this and in some ways i wish they could be smooshed together to make one badass movie without the guilty feeling afterwards.  dead reckoning reminded me of the vehicle in the dawn remake.  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

This one really worked as a horror film.  I wasn't really scared, but I felt a little creeped out.
It did a great job at keeping me intrigued, but it didn't pay off like I wanted it to though the scene at the end is really amazing and almost Lynch-like, I felt llike it went for the ironic kind of twilight zonish end (with a more artistic touch of madness, of course).

A lot of people complain about it being Polanski instead of a "real" actor, but I thought he was pretty unique and kept me watching.

It doesn't appear that I'm supposed to give skulls in this thread, but if it were in the other thread, I would probably give it five.

hedwig

Quote from: modagefinally saw Land Of The Dead after missing it in theatres due to my moving to new york during its like 2 weeks in theatres.  i am in the boat with most people when i say its nowhere near the first two but still kinda good.  i guess the biggest problem is while its never 'bad', it never really gets going either or has any 'hell yeah!' moments for me.

I thought this was a "hell yeah" scene:

But I agree on Argento; then again, any film would benefit from more scenes with her.

Tictacbk

Ok so reading these horror threads has made me realize my dvd collection lacks horror movies.   The only films i do own are Friday the 13th and The Shining.  These happen to be two of my favorites, but i'm looking to blind buy atleast 1-2 more.   I'm thinking maybe Dracula but other than that i'm not sure.  Suggestions please?

hedwig

modage

Quote from: TictacbkSuggestions please?
check out Best Horror.  pretty much anything in there is good, but some essentials are Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead & II, Exorcist, Halloween, Night of the Living Dead, & Frankenstein (Legacy Collection).  just try to see more, and buy what you like best.

modage

it's almost amazing how inconsistent John Carpenter is as a director.  how some of his films can be so great and some so bad is baffling to me.  there is almost no middle ground.  nothing is like 3/4's good.  it either IS great, or SUCKS HARD.  so, where does the Fog fall?  to take Adrienne Barbeau's line from the film "Stay away from the fog."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modage
check out Best Horror.  pretty much anything in there is good, but some essentials are Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead & II, Exorcist, Halloween, Night of the Living Dead, & Frankenstein (Legacy Collection).  just try to see more, and buy what you like best.

I dont' know why, but I thought it said "some exceptions are" and at that point, I don't even know how I would've reacted.