INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

bonanzataz

Quote from: just sparrow on September 04, 2007, 09:00:52 AMFor the first time, I've seen a film wherein it seems right that the personal feelings of the viewer are completely irrelevant.

i've seen plenty. and it's never a good thing.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

davidchili

Quote from: just sparrow on September 04, 2007, 09:00:52 AM
For the first time, I've seen a film wherein it seems right that the personal feelings of the viewer are completely irrelevant.
It's true at some points, not in the whole film.
good dreamer, bad sleeper.

NEON MERCURY

guys, i am so sorry for delaying my review...i've watch the film 4 times already and i still need one more viewing...and i'll even take notes..(a first for me)...but rest assured, i will have my biased, annoying, school girl review up tomorrow....but i wanna attack my boy taz (et al?) right now...

you hear me???  i'm calling you out now! :yabbse-grin:

why is there a criticism of the film dealing with the characters "acting" like thery are in a lynch film???  dat makes no sense....thats like saying you didn't like fargo b/c they characters acted like they were in a coen brothers movie... 

NEON MERCURY

okay, i am ready now...i'm gonna try my best to put my thoughts into a somewhat cohesive post but keep in mind that i am not near as intelligent about reviewing film as most of you guys...and i know i'm on the hot seat for delivering a good critique b/c you gotta deliver if your avatar is the film theatrical poster.  right?

i'll start this right now by saying i am still confused about the film in terms of a narative point...hell, it could
l be that its nothing more than a series of surrealistic events/ideas shot on dv (b/c it's cheap and gives you the freedom to film and not worry about the bottom line as much in $$$-which means: total creative freedom for lynch) with no rhyme or reason...but comon, i'm like to believe that this, along with other lynch films, is a puzzle to put together...and i feel better that lynch will never explain the meaning of his films...that way he won't make me look like an idiot (if i'm wrong).

i'm not gonna discuss in detail what i think the film is about...that's for later...now, on to the film...

SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS

INLAND EMPIRE

i love the opening...i have a 40" hdtv w/5.1 and the opening thundering is awesome...then we slowly build to the titles which are creepy and cool...then comes the all to familiar image of the needle and record...such great use of sound w/the image...and that's always a point all through the film...i love the radioesque type of announcer over that image too...the way he talks and what he says ("axxon n, the longest running"....)acts as though we are in for a ride...sit back, a enjoy...from there we go to, in what i preceive to be, a scene from the old polish film 47...the blurring of the faces is such a cool thing...from there we cue to the beautiful etheral music playing while we see a young woman crying while watching a tv staion that's all static tv  here's a perfect example of why lynch is a master...if you read again what i put in bold and then see how lynch put that exact scenario onscreen-it's fucking icredible...he can take any situation and make it beautiful...that's fucking talent that is unrivaled...and i like the touch of adding grace z. intermixed w/the static...the scene with the rabbits...i have never seen the shorts by lynch so this was a total surprise...i like these scenes and i like the way they progress later in composition...i like the scene when the male rabbit walks out of the door...and into that beautifully decorative room...i think it's a cool thing how we go from the rabbits dingy abode to that grand room...and that scene with the rabbit standing there by the doorway and light just only behind him until the entire room is filled w/light is such an incredible image...following that comes another lynch thing witht he base rumbling and fuzy image to reveal another actor...i do know why i mentioned that than only to point out a cool camera thingy...and then again, the rabbit fades w/the light...the next scene with the shot of the tree-then slowing gaining light and showing the bright green leaves is another cool example of subtle imagery that makes random things so beautiful...and there are all kinds of shit like that throughout the film...i gotta go off track and point out that after seeing this film several times, the dv looks incredible!  i knew lynch could pull it off...and makes me feel good that lynch is never going to back to film...this should make all you shoestring budget filmmakers happy...b/c it gives hope that hey if he can do it, maybe i can do it!  i like the scene w/grace z. and i wish the film had subtitles b/c she is saying some important shit...if anyone knows where i can find a transcript, holla at me...this is also the scene when we meet laura d. for the first time...and i must say she was incredible in this film...when i knew she was cast is was alittle worried b/c i find her not that great of an actress but what the fuck do i know-she nailed it!  the scene with grace z. has a little bit of piggy backing on the rabbit scene and along with many others in which the perspectives change so dramatically and so beautifully...when grace z. points her finger to couch where laura d. will sit, is again, just a cool way that perspectives change in a neat way...the next scene where she gets the audition shows soem of lynch's humor...once she gets the part via telephone call you see ian a. doing a funny celebration thing...sorry, got to point out that the way i'm reviewing this film may be kind of annoying doing it like a baseball play by play bu ti am watchign it again as i type this b/c i wanna get my imagery and emotional state to the same tune as it was last night so i can accurately do this for you guys...again, if it's annoying, i apologize...i love the scene w/diane l., will m., and justin t.  i thinks it's hilarious and a treat for all lynch fans to have them all together for our viewing pleasure...it's pure bliss...i love theroux's character! he's so fucking awesome...but my favorite surprise was dearn's husband...whoever that guy was-he's cool as hell...he's got the best vernacular and and tone of voice...plus, the casting of irons was alot of fun...he's so underrated and like the guy so much...he fits perfectly as one of lynch's repertopire of actors...and i hope he is used again...and harry s. was fucking hilarious as most evryone has pointed out...again, it's a treat to have him in this...

sorry guys...this is going to be much larger than i thought (i've got alot to say)...very big review, i promise...i will have to do this in parts...i know this may come to as a cop out...i'll return

Pubrick

i can't believe how easily i followed what you were saying. unlike your Keys to the World review, you found a good font size.

i don't wanna jinx you, cos you still hav to write the damn thing, but i think you might end up offering the most comprehensive opposition to bonzie's review. currently i agree with a lot of what bonze has said. he's made great points in both his epic posts, which i don't know if anyone else read.

jb had a great review on page 15 but i don't expect him to elaborate specifically to counter bonze. other great moments have been Ghostboy's predictions on page 8, in which he predicted i wouldn't like it at first but eventually come to realise i do (brilliant!).. at this point i'm in the first stage, so he's right so far. page 6 and page 8 has my two bogus reviews, i didn't see the movie until much later.

a couple of things i want to mention, this being a kind of bookmark review:
-why is everyone getting the "sowing heavy shit" line all wrong? imdb included. isn't it "some kind of heavy shit"?
-neon, the funny thing is that your attitude and approach to films might seem inelegant but it's perfect for lynch films because they too are loopy.
-due to the nature of the film, i think it's possible that both bonze AND neon may be right. bonzie is right because no serious person who likes to stay awake while watching a movie will deny that there is some points where YOU JUST CAN'T! and maybe that's a beautiful thing. there are also some undeniably brilliant Lynch moments amidst this 3 hour cure for insomnia.

and so the question becomes about one's threshold for lynch. if this is the man with his guts on your front lawn, how long can you stare at them before you just hav to close the door in disgust or boredom? certainly his future films will provide this answer. the question itself is a beautiful thing.
under the paving stones.

brockly

the soundtrack is great. its not as accessible as other lynch soundtrakcs because the original music doesnt really have any melody or composition. its really just long, drawn out sequences of dark, emotional ambience. but its very beautiful and mystifying and captures the mood of the film perfectly. this is only half the album though. everything else, especially the two songs lynch wrote/composed, is great as well.

i watched the movie again and im liking it more and more every time i see it (as expected). still dont have a solid interpretation, but right now that doesnt really matter. i love this movie because of the way it connects with me on a completely emotional level. it definitely resembles eraserhead more than any other lynch movie because of how perplexing and abstract it is. and its fucking terrifying like nothing ive ever seen.

SiliasRuby

I also have the complete soundtrack, if anyone wants a copy I can send it to them. I'm feeling generous today.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on September 13, 2007, 09:31:35 AM
i can't believe how easily i followed what you were saying. unlike your Keys to the World review, you found a good font size.

i don't wanna jinx you, cos you still hav to write the damn thing, but i think you might end up offering the most comprehensive opposition to bonzie's review. currently i agree with a lot of what bonze has said. he's made great points in both his epic posts, which i don't know if anyone else read.

jb had a great review on page 15 but i don't expect him to elaborate specifically to counter bonze. other great moments have been Ghostboy's predictions on page 8, in which he predicted i wouldn't like it at first but eventually come to realise i do (brilliant!).. at this point i'm in the first stage, so he's right so far. page 6 and page 8 has my two bogus reviews, i didn't see the movie until much later.

a couple of things i want to mention, this being a kind of bookmark review:
-why is everyone getting the "sowing heavy shit" line all wrong? imdb included. isn't it "some kind of heavy shit"?
-neon, the funny thing is that your attitude and approach to films might seem inelegant but it's perfect for lynch films because they too are loopy.
-due to the nature of the film, i think it's possible that both bonze AND neon may be right. bonzie is right because no serious person who likes to stay awake while watching a movie will deny that there is some points where YOU JUST CAN'T! and maybe that's a beautiful thing. there are also some undeniably brilliant Lynch moments amidst this 3 hour cure for insomnia.

and so the question becomes about one's threshold for lynch. if this is the man with his guts on your front lawn, how long can you stare at them before you just hav to close the door in disgust or boredom? certainly his future films will provide this answer. the question itself is a beautiful thing.

hey p, thanks for the love.  i went back and read yours, jb, and taz's reviews.  i agree w/you and jb more so than taz.  sorry, taz  :(  it may be a while till i get it all out of my head and spilled out onto this thread, but i am working on it.     

Pubrick

Quote from: pyramid machine on September 30, 2007, 08:34:20 PM
hey p, thanks for the love.  i went back and read yours, jb, and taz's reviews.  i agree w/you and jb more so than taz. 

to clarify once more: that review you read was not real. i hadn't seen the movie yet, hence at the end "i havn't seen this movie". it was around the time i was making top ten lists full of other movies that hadn't been released yet, or in some cases been made. i apologise for the chaos and confusion brought on by my gag, many ppl have been injured as a result, some i fear will never be the same again (pozer).. that was never my intention. it was a powerful gag.

i've since seen it and that's when i said i agree moreso with Taz. look forward to clarifying this again..
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

David Lynch Ghost of Love Single Available 11/23/2007
Ryko Distribution announced the release of a new single from David Lynch. Ghost of Love which appeared on the INLAND EMPIRE soundtrack will be released as a CD single. Included on this CD will be an unreleased track called Imaginary Girl.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

Quote from: reinhold on August 28, 2007, 10:49:40 AM
saying that something you recognize as good is bad because it isn't new is totally illegitimate criticism in my opinion.

really?  so you are immune to the reaction of getting bored?  what do you think a cliche is?  i strongly think that lynch can in fact become a cliche of lynch.  what about all those directors that made something good and then they continue to milk that same idea over and over and over, you still give them the same credibility as someone that tries to reinvent the wheel, no you should give them shit for it imo.  well the independent world is no different than the mainstream one.  i don't doubt for a fact that 99.99% of david lynch fanboys have at one point gave criticism to something mainstream because it is "something you recognize as good is bad because it isn't new"

when i was in film school, all the kids got into stuff that was arty and experimental because it was new too them, which is cool.  however the moment they would go and see an excellent mainstream movie; like any pixar movie for example (which is just as good as any french new wave film, brackage, bunuel or w/e name you can think of, just different) and really liked it but then feel they had to qualify why they liked it, because they lose indie cred if they just show they're a kid inside of all the bullshit Barret wearing pretense.

not to mention the fact that lynch is basing his movies off of a style that lacks little-to-no plot, which isn't bad, but if you're in that realm of cinema then one of the only things you got going for you is staying original and fresh.  at least with a plot you can reaffirm certain dramatic ideals and maybe even moral/ethical codes.  when your whole thing is about absurdity or being strange, then you're not really achieving that anymore when it's cliche arn't you?  strange is no longer strange when it's convention.

i love strange, i love no plots, i just wanna see it in a new way.  same way that i love plots and stories, i just wanna see them in a new way too.  if someone else made a film and it looked like inland empire we'd say "what a wanna be lynch".  why can't we say that about lynch himself?

i'll rephrase my comment to help understand how your comment is wrong, it's not something that is good that's bad, it's something that was good and is now bad.  lynch shoulda tried something new as soon as emo fuckers like trent reznor latched onto it.  guys like marilyn manson and all the "neo-goth" music video directors used all his conventions in their wrist slitting 3 minute chopping blocks.  if i were lynch at that point i'd say to myself, ah fuck this is my Frankenstein, and gone on to something new, something that wasn't about shock value, and not necessarily mainstream, but something new because it got too big in fact.

10% of inland empire is phenomenal, 90% of it is pretentious, someone living in yesteryear and milking the same old cow, just like the holywood blockbuster.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Japanese Limited Edition of LYNCH ONE and INLAND EMPIRE on DVD
A Japanese Limited Edition of LYNCH ONE and INLAND EMPIRE will be released on February 22nd.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

Yes, please. Thanks Mac!
My assholeness knows no bounds.

ShanghaiOrange

after a fateful second viewing, i have decided that this is a bad movie.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***