Fallout 4

Started by squints, November 16, 2013, 08:14:16 PM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Lottery

Better be. Some people were very disappointed that the Mad Max game reveal wasn't for Fallout 4. It would suck if it was something else, I mean not necessarily for Fallout fans but rather the developers themselves. The backlash and disappointment would be disheartening.

I'm hoping Fallout 4 will be like New Vegas.

Lottery

Well, that was total balls.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

squints

Oh My God, it's here.

It's really here.

HNNNNNNRRRGGGHGHGNNNG....

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhghh....

Good bye world.

polkablues

I just started replaying New Vegas in anticipation.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I used to play Fallout and Fallout 2 obsessively. They are still my favorite games ever.

Just started playing New Vegas. Who knows why I waited so long... Probably because I'm not a console person and I dislike having to bootcamp into Windows. (Yes I tried the wineskin version and it's garbage for several reasons.)

I'm still getting used to the FPS element. I was deeply attached to the overhead view and turn-based combat of the originals. So I'm using a VATS-centric build, which is actually a lot of fun. Until I level up a bit, the best strategy seems to be to rush people and headshot them with VATS.

That didn't work as well when I encountered a pack of 6-7+ baddies wielding meat cleavers and grenade launchers. But I adjusted.

I am enjoying it quite a bit. Traveling to new places can be tiresome, but I'm trying to have patience with that. The sense of discovery has more or less been as potent as ever. As long as there is enough to encounter along the highway and such, that shouldn't be a problem.

My only real complaint is that I can't steal things without consequences. That was one of my favorite things about the originals, going through everyone's stuff and pickpocketing my friends. How meaningful is the loss of Karma in New Vegas?

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 06, 2015, 03:59:30 PM
My only real complaint is that I can't steal things without consequences. That was one of my favorite things about the originals, going through everyone's stuff and pickpocketing my friends. How meaningful is the loss of Karma in New Vegas?

If I remember right, it just changes how different characters respond to you, what factions you can align with, and which companions you're able to team up with. For the most part, there's little benefit in being wishy-washy; it's best to pick either good or bad and go all in.

Jeremy Blackman

I have Charisma at 1 and am not planning to use companions. I'd like to go mostly good but be able to steal at times; I don't need to go around slaughtering civilians. From what I'm reading, it's actually hard to lower your karma in New Vegas, because killing the things you end up killing gives you so much positive karma. So I might try stealing and pickpocketing a bit. I'll report back.

Jeremy Blackman

I used the console command for viewing your karma and figured it out. You lose 5 karma for stealing one thing. I have 200 karma, and "good" is 250+. I'm probably not far enough in the game to be making actual karma gains. (I'm at that first NCR outpost where you get the quest to kill the ants.)

polkablues

Yeah, as I recall, there are a handful of quest options throughout the game that cause huge swings in your karma depending on the choices you make, so picking a few pockets here and there probably won't make much of a dent in the long run.

Drenk

So. Is anyone playing to Fallout 4? I bought it today. I have never played to a Fallout game in my life. Fallout 4 allows you to download Fallout 3 for free, though. I began 4 today, and I was amazed—I love Oblivion and Skyrim and it does feel like a Beteshda game, my brain can't process all the things that I can do...
Ascension.