Parasite

Started by jenkins, May 25, 2019, 01:20:54 PM

jenkins

Drenk

Ascension.

jenkins

this time america is the one late to the party. Oct 11

Drenk

I've seen it. It's very good. I don't know why I feel it's lacking something, though. Its mastery is innovative and wild, and yet it felt safe to me, somehow?
Ascension.

samsong

very good.  purely in terms of craft this is his best by a lot.  the premise is ingenious, and the first half had me thinking this might be best of the decade material.  there are some incredible passages (one involving peaches that made me particularly giddy) and an astonishing amount of virtuoso on display.  bong's penchant for genre trope chicanery and obtuse narrative/tonal shifts gets the better of him though.  there's a third act device that is one of the dumber things i've seen in a while.  there's a juvenility to his work that i find anything but charming/good, though he seems to be shedding that based on tis film.  i think we're a film or two away from a masterpiece from him.

if they manage to get fincher (who would be PERFECT for the material) for the inevitable american remake and hire jean claude carriere to assist in the adaptation so as to heighten the chances of maximizing the story's bunuelian potential, it could actually be pretty fucking amazing.

Drenk

Ascension.

jenkins

Quote from: samsong on October 11, 2019, 09:42:22 PM
very good.  purely in terms of craft this is his best by a lot.  the premise is ingenious, and the first half had me thinking this might be best of the decade material.  there are some incredible passages (one involving peaches that made me particularly giddy) and an astonishing amount of virtuoso on display.  bong's penchant for genre trope chicanery and obtuse narrative/tonal shifts gets the better of him though.  there's a third act device that is one of the dumber things i've seen in a while.  there's a juvenility to his work that i find anything but charming/good, though he seems to be shedding that based on tis film.  i think we're a film or two away from a masterpiece from him.

if they manage to get fincher (who would be PERFECT for the material) for the inevitable american remake and hire jean claude carriere to assist in the adaptation so as to heighten the chances of maximizing the story's bunuelian potential, it could actually be pretty fucking amazing.

Viridiana potential? given the title, Parasite, and the narrative, it seems to me that although this movie depicts the hardships of the lower class, it is actually the defects of the lower class that are being portrayed

to repurpose a quote from the movie, they are not bad poor people, but people who are bad because they are poor

i largely echo the sentiments of samsong. although my biggest problem with the third act comes from the absurd morse code. the morse code and its device of implementation. the narrative is not so farfetched, not to me. but even with the narrative assessed as farfetched i believe the thematic mechanics are in working order

again similar to Viridiana, i consider this movie well crafted, but it is not necessarily a movie i want to revisit. but oh, there are plenty of movies that i wish not to revisit and yet linger in my thoughts, and those movies are better than the movies that do not linger in my thoughts

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I'm fully with jenkins and Drenk on this. The film was very good, but I do feel like it's missing something. A proper ending? The morse code stuff kind of shattered my immersion. The insanity of that was great the first time around, but the second iteration is clearly meant to be taken more seriously. The ending was meant to be somber and reflective, but I don't think it quite worked.

WorldForgot

'Parasite' HBO Limited Series in the Works From Bong Joon Ho, Adam McKay
QuoteParasite, one of the most acclaimed movies of 2019, is heading to HBO as a limited series.

Deals are not done but talks are underway with HBO, which came out on top of a bidding war with Netflix for the rights.

Parasite followed the poor but cunning Kim family as they ingratiated themselves into the lives of their wealthy employers, the Park family. The relationship between the two clans went through several twists and ultimately ended up having deadly consequences.

It is unclear if the limited series will be some sort of follow-up to the movie or an English-language remake.

The Korean movie, seen as a take on class warfare as well as a genre thriller, has earned over $23 million at the domestic box office, and a massive $130 million at the global box office. A possible best picture contender, the movie has already racked up awards, including Sunday's Golden Globes win for best motion picture - foreign language. It was recently named best picture by the National Society of Film Critics and appeared on many top 10 of 2019 lists.

Creative details are in the early stages but Bong and McKay would adapt the movie for an English-language limited series. The pair would exec produce as well.

Drenk

Ugh. Two hours of that story is enough.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman