Will PTA alienate fans with future projects?

Started by Gold Trumpet, June 27, 2003, 06:40:13 PM

Gold Trumpet

Given that PTA says his next project may be his attempt to make his own Baraka, which is a visually intense film and also maybe an alienating one to general viewers given its structure and approach. Amazon review here:

The word Baraka means "blessing" in several languages; watching this film, the viewer is blessed with a dazzling barrage of images that transcend language. Filmed in 24 countries and set to an ever-changing global soundtrack, the movie draws some surprising connections between various peoples and the spaces they inhabit, whether that space is a lonely mountaintop or a crowded cigarette factory. Some of these attempts at connection are more successful than others: for instance, an early sequence segues between the daily devotions of Tibetan monks, Orthodox Jews, and whirling dervishes, finding more similarity among these rituals than one might expect. And there are other amazing moments, as when sped-up footage of a busy Hong Kong intersection reveals a beautiful symmetry to urban life that could only be appreciated from the perspective of film. The lack of context is occasionally frustrating--not knowing where a section was filmed, or the meaning of the ritual taking place--and some of the transitions are puzzling. However, the DVD includes a short behind-the-scenes featurette in which cinematographer Ron Fricke (Koyaanisqatsi) explains that the effect was intentional: "It's not where you are that's important, it's what's there." And what's here, in Baraka, is a whole world summed up in 104 minutes.

Do you predict that PTA's next work will alienate more fans of Boogie Nights and Magnolia who believe those films are his best work as he continues to evolve and push the envelope? PDL was alienating in some ways with general fans here and generally not as well received as his previous works by people around here.

~rougerum

Sleuth

I believe eventually he will.  He's a fucking artist, and it's great
I like to hug dogs

Rudie Obias

i think he should expand ass an artist.  i would love if Paul Thomas Anderson would make a film like BARAKA.  that film is fuckin' brilliant!  with the cinematography of robert elwist and the music of jon brion with the direction of paul thomas anderson, what can go wrong?  i say bring it on PTA and fuck the mass audience!

viva la film snob!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

him mentioning he will make a baraka, is the same is him saying PDL was going to be HIS adam sandler romantic comedy.  no matter what he does, it will always have his touches of humor and humanity and always be PTA.  i will admit, when i heard about PDL a year or two ago, i was extremely curious and a little worried.  i wasnt sure if he would be compromising himself to make a different sort of movie, but after seeing it all my fears were taken away.  and now, (i cant speak for anyone else), but for me, i'm confident that whatever he does, it will be interesting.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sphinx

sphinx says he'll trust pt to make a decent movie.  i don't worry about him alienating fans unless it's the point where he doesn't get to make any more movies.

Duck Sauce

I have a feeling his next film wont be the Baraka one, and it may still take place in the valley.... but I dont really care what he does as long as he doesnt take 9 years to do it. Id love to see PTA do different things, I know hed be good at it but maybe he should transition into the stranger stuff as to assure that he is able to make more movies. Baraka sounds good to me, and as long as he shoots on film and in cinemascope i wont feel too alienated

Jeremy Blackman

I would be extremely happy with the hallway movie he was talking about, or a western, or a musical... or anything, really. I will probably love everything that comes out of his imagination.

fulty

He has a new fan here.
And the more I can explain to my friends about "what the hell was that?" the more they enjoy the films also.

I would love another Baraka.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Xixax

I didn't know of Baraka until just now in this thread, so I checked it out.

Being a big fan of the Qatsi series, I immediately netflixed Baraka. Can't wait to see it now.

And reading what was posted above about PTA doing a balls out unapologetic art film makes my member rise. God, how awesome would a PTA Baraka be?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ono

I think it's incredibly refreshing that PTA has said he wants to branch out in so many genres, and I'll try to follow him with whatever type picture he makes.  It's something that I, as a wanna-be filmmaker, would like to be able to do eventually, but it is a daunting task to be able to do one genre well.  PTA, though, could even make some of my more disliked genres palatable, such as westerns or sci-fi pics.  Of course, some say Punch-Drunk Love was part sci-fi, and that Lena is an alien from another planet.

Anywho, I'm curious, GT, about how you could have so much knowledge about Baraka and Koyaanisqatsi when it was earlier this afternoon that you first asked about them.  Did you get to watch one of the two already?  Me, I haven't seen either yet.  One of the few things my university doesn't have, so I'll have to go to a local VisArt or something (this place is like the anti-Blockbuster).

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

baraka was my favorite Mortal Kombat character on the SNES.

i hope he does alienate everyone, to filter out the phonies.. or attract more  :yabbse-sad:
under the paving stones.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: rudieobi think he should expand ass an artist. !!

no that will be me, i will bring to cinema a love of Female booty like no other film maker before me

dogma95 had its rules i have mine , its only female ass,  sorry mesh, and the girls must have big butts,  but not big gross celulite butts, that kind of thing is just wrong

im talking j lo, karen mcdougal ,  jenna van oy , even britney spears whos ass is way under rated

now in a vincent gallo esc move i have to talk kelly clarkson into making this movie with me, and please no "this is the real brown bunny" puns thats benith all of us

yes it will be my tribute to the budunka dunk

yes i see the irony of me making fun of anyone elses spellin, but damnit i went for it anyway

Rudie Obias

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones

no that will be me, i will bring to cinema a love of Female booty like no other film maker before me

dogma95 had its rules i have mine , its only female ass,  sorry mesh, and the girls must have big butts,  but not big gross celulite butts, that kind of thing is just wrong

im talking j lo, karen mcdougal ,  jenna van oy , even britney spears whos ass is way under rated

now in a vincent gallo esc move i have to talk kelly clarkson into making this movie with me, and please no "this is the real brown bunny" puns thats benith all of us

yes i see the irony of me making fun of anyone elses spellin, but damnit i went for it anyway

i meant "as" not "ass", you asshole!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i meant "as" not "ass", you asshole!

read the fine print