90's Music

Started by Finn, June 09, 2005, 12:21:15 AM

Finn

I didn't see a thread about this so redirect me if you absolutely have to. I really liked the music in the 90's. It was the time when I was growing up so I was very familiar with it. There were a lot of one-hit wonders in the late 90's like Barenaked Ladies - It's All Been Done, One Week...Natalie Imbruglia - Torn....Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home....and a lot more. I haven't heard anything from these people since then. This was right before hip hop and rap became what it is now and everything else went to crap. Enjoyed it while it lasted.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Small Town LonerThis was right before hip hop and rap became what it is now and everything else went to crap.

Right before selling out sold out?

I love 90's music.  Very diverse in influences, a lot of great music came from this decade.

I'm always able to make a new mix of songs I loved from the 90's without ever repeating a band.  I have 4 full CD's, so far.  And so rarely do people not recognize the song...

The only songs some people didn't recognize were:

Silverchair - Tomorrow
Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside A Broken Telephone Booth
Nada Surf - Popular
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gamblour.

I talked about it more specifically in this thread: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6979&highlight=

What about Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's, or Stabbing Westward or Dishwalla or Nada Surf or Butthole Surfers or Harvey Danger or Presidents of the United States of America. Damn, good stuff.
WWPTAD?

Bethie

QuoteBarenaked Ladies - It's All Been Done, One Week

The Old Apartment. If I Had A Millon Dollars.

Quote from: Walrus
I'm always able to make a new mix of songs I loved from the 90's without ever repeating a band.  I have 4 full CD's, so far.  And so rarely do people not recognize the song...

Awesome. A good friend of mine and I always talk about singles we remember from the 90's then we'll quickly go home to download the songs we had forgotten about. On the way home from Denny's once Counting Crows- Mr. Jones came on the radio, do I even have to tell you that we drove around a few more blocks so we could all have a sing along?

90's music is what I know. Edie Brickell- What I Am just started playing on my playlist.

Fun pop bands like Gin Blossoms and Spin Doctors. Who doesn't have a soft spot their tunes?

Crash Test Dummies- Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm (whenever I went to someones house back in 10th grade I would make them download this song if only for a laugh)

Ace of Base, what? I Saw the Sign. All That She Wants.

Four Non Blondes- What's Up?
Jamiroquai- Virtual Insanity
Blessed Union of Souls- I Believe. I Wanna Be There. Let Me Be The One.
Toad and The Wet Sproket- All I Want
Mr. Big- To Be With You
Del Amitri- Roll To Me
Better Than Ezra- Good
Soul Asylum- Run Away Train

There's always your Hootie and The Blowfish, Collective Soul, And Blues Traveler. And your Salt N Peppa, En Vogue...
who likes movies anyway

Myxo

Wow..

Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train" brings back some memories for sure.

Same thing with the Toadies "Possum Kingdom". Anyone remember the Toadies?

matt35mm

I've been listening to (and am currently listening to) "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams for a past month.  I've listened to it about 100 times.  Not because I'm crazy, but because I have to perform it.  Like an air-band performance, but solo.

That's today, actually.  So this morning I've just been playing it over and over again, getting all the random screams of love and guitar bits right.

I'm goin' all out, bros.  I've got a big jump and kick a chair in mid-air move that I've got set.  It should be good.  It's my one last hurrah before school's over.  It'll give those bastards something to remember me by.

modage

Quote from: Small Town LonerI really liked the music in the 90's. It was the time when I was growing up so I was very familiar with it.
then this is for you.

Rhino to Release 7xCD 90s Box Set

Remember the 90s? If you're reading this, chances are you lived through most of it. If not, you're truly precocious; five-year-olds should not be reading Pitchfork. The 90s provided an explosion of music-- some outstanding, some less than stellar. One-hit wonders crowded the scene. Grunge happened. Kris Kross happened. Ahh, yes, I remember the 90s fondly.

Well, in cased you missed it, or haven't seen VH1's "I Love the 90s", Rhino has come to your rescue. Whatever: The 90s Pop Culture Box will be released on July 26, spanning seven (yes, seven) discs of grungy, poppy goodness.

It kicks off with a bang with MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This". Other artists include Mother Love Bone, Deee-Lite, Boyz II Men, Right Said Fred, My Bloody Valentine, Pantera, Soul Asylum, House of Pain, Duran Duran, Dinosaur Jr., Tag Team, the Posies, Pavement, Ween, Crash Test Dummies, the Flaming Lips, R.E.M., Weezer, Blues Traveler, Oasis, Jewel, Stereolab, Jamiroquai, Wilco, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sleater-Kinney, Hanson, Barenaked Ladies, and, of course, Chumbawamba. The set ends with Moby's "Natural Blues". Maybe a better title would be From Hammer to Moby in 130 Steps.

Interestingly, artists like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Madonna have been left off. But who cares about "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Vogue" when you've got "Virtual Insansity" and "Walking in Memphis"? The set will also come with an exhaustive 84-page companion book with photos galore, notes on each track, and contributions from a number of music critics, including Jim DeRogatis. The set also comes with a bag of coffee beans (no joke) and a hackey sack (joke). Here's the tracklist:

>>Disc One:
01 "U Can't Touch This" - MC Hammer
02 "Nothing Compares 2 U" - Sinead O'Connor
03 "No Myth" - Michael Penn
04 "Ladies First" - Queen Latifah (feat. Monie Love)
05 "Ball and Chain" - Social Distortion
06 "Birdhouse in Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants
07 "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns" - Mother Love Bone
08 "Here's Where the Story Ends" - The Sundays
09 "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" - C & C Music Factory
10 "Groove Is in the Heart" - Deee-Lite
11 "Right Here Right Now" - Jesus Jones
12 "New Jack Hustler (Nino's Theme)" - Ice-T
13 "I Touch Myself" - Divinyls
14 "Unbelievable" - EMF
15 "Hard To Handle" - The Black Crowes
16 "O.P.P." - Naughty By Nature
17 "Walking in Memphis" - Marc Cohn
18 "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye to Yesterday" - Boyz II Men

>>Disc Two:
01 "Silent Lucidity" - Queensryche
02 "Into the Drink" - Mudhoney
03 "Girlfriend" - Matthew Sweet
04 "I'm Too Sexy" - Right Said Fred
05 "Calling All Angels" - Jane Siberry (with k.d. lang)
06 "Only Shallow" - My Bloody Valentine
07 "It's a Shame About Ray" - The Lemonheads
08 "Baby Got Back" - Sir Mix-A-Lot
09 "They Want EFX" - DAS EFX
10 "Jump" - Kris Kross
11 "Walk" - Pantera
12 "N.W.O." - Ministry
13 "Shitlist" - L7
14 "Absynthe" - The Gits
15 "Coattail Rider" - Supersuckers
16 "Runaway Train" - Soul Asylum
17 "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" - Spin Doctors
18 "Dizz Knee Land" - dada
19 "Nearly Lost You" - Screaming Trees

>>Disc Three:
01 "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
02 "Unsung" - Helmet
03 "Jump Around" - House Of Pain
04 "Free Your Mind" - En Vogue
05 "Rump Shaker" - Wreckx-N-Effect
06 "Informer" - Snow
07 "Connected" - Stereo MCs
08 "Detachable Penis" - King Missile
09 "Freak Me" - Silk
10 "Ordinary World" - Duran Duran
11 "If I Can't Change Your Mind" - Sugar
12 "Three Little Pigs" - Green Jelly
13 "Start Choppin" - Dinosaur Jr.
14 "The Devil's Chasing Me" - The Reverend Horton Heat
15 "Gone to the Moon" - Fastbacks
16 "My Name Is Mud" - Primus
17 "What's Up" - 4 Non Blondes

>>Disc Four:
01 "Thunder Kiss '65" - White Zombie
02 "Whoomp! (There It Is)" - Tag Team
03 "Broken Hearted Savior" - Big Head Todd and the Monsters
04 "Trust Me" - Guru with N'Dea Davenport
05 "Here Comes" - Velocity Girl
06 "Gepetto" - Belly
07 "Eye to Eye" - The Muffs
08 "Gentlemen" - Afghan Whigs
09 "Leafy Incline" - Tad
10 "Dream All Day" - The Posies
11 "Hey Jealousy" - Gin Blossoms
12 "My Sister" - The Juliana Hatfield Three
13 "Whatta Man" - Salt-N-Pepa
14 "Back & Forth" - Aaliyah
15 "If That's Your Boyfriend (He Wasn't Last Night)" - Me'Shell Ndegéocello
16 "Freedom of '76" - Ween
17 "Cut Your Hair" - Pavement
18 "God" - Tori Amos
19 "MMM MMM MMM MMM" - Crash Test Dummies
20 "Possession" - Sarah McLachlan

>>Disc Five:
01 "Shine" - Collective Soul
02 "Far Behind" - Candlebox
03 "You Gotta Be" - Des'ree
04 "Girl You'll Be a Woman Soon" - Urge Overkill
05 "She Don't Use Jelly" - The Flaming Lips
06 "m.i.a." - 7 Year Bitch
07 "21st Century (Digital Boy)" - Bad Religion
08 "Sugar Free Jazz" - Soul Coughing
09 "Mockingbirds" - Grant Lee Buffalo
10 "What's the Frequency Kenneth?" - R.E.M.
11 "Revolve" - Melvins
12 "Buddy Holly" - Weezer
13 "Here and Now" - Letters to Cleo
14 "Good" - Better Than Ezra
15 "Run-Around" - Blues Traveler
16 "I'll Be There for You" (Theme From "Friends") - The Rembrandts
17 "Tomorrow" - Silverchair
18 "Not a Pretty Girl" - Ani DiFranco
19 "Carnival" - Natalie Merchant

>>Disc Six:
01 "Wonderwall" - Oasis
02 "Birthday Cake" - Cibo Matto
03 "Cumbersome" - Seven Mary Three
04 "One of Us" - Joan Osborne
05 "Caught by the Fuzz" - Supergrass
06 "Sweet 69" - Babes In Toyland
07 "Breakfast at Tiffany's" - Deep Blue Something
08 "Photograph" - The Verve Pipe
09 "In the Meantime" - Spacehog
10 "Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check" - Busta Rhymes (Feat. Rampage the Last Boy Scout)
11 "Who Will Save Your Soul" - Jewel
12 "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" - Primitive Radio Gods
13 "Cybele's Reverie" - Stereolab
14 "Capri Pants" - Bikini Kill
15 "What I Got" - Sublime
16 "Kung Fu" - Ash
17 "Virtual Insanity" - Jamiroquai
18 "Naked Eye" - Luscious Jackson
19 "Outtasite (Outta Mind)" - Wilco

>>Disc Seven:
01 "itszoweezee (hot)" - De La Soul
02 "LoveFool" - The Cardigans
03 "Radiation Vibe" - Fountains Of Wayne
04 "The Impression That I Get" - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
05 "Turn It On" - Sleater-Kinney
06 "Bitch" - Meredith Brooks
07 "MMMBop" - Hanson
08 "Brian Wilson" (live) - Barenaked Ladies
09 "Brick" - Ben Folds Five
10 "Sex and Candy" - Marcy Playground
11 "Walking on the Sun" - Smash Mouth
12 "Tubthumping" - Chumbawamba
13 "6 Underground" - Sneaker Pimps
14 "Lullaby" - Shawn Mullins
15 "Slide" - Goo Goo Dolls
16 "Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer
17 "Steal My Sunshine" - LEN
18 "What It's Like" - Everlast
19 "Natural Blues" - Moby

* Rhino: http://www.rhino.com/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Hmm i think they should've stopped focusing on being ecelectic and focused on good music, like Butthole Surfers - Pepper or Presidents of the...- Peaches. That is essential.
WWPTAD?

Myxo

That Rhino 90s box set is worthless without Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Maybe they couldn't get the rights to the music or something, but those are two bands that defined a generation of music in the early 90s. Also absent is anything from Radiohead or the Beastie Boys. What about Public Enemy? Those guys spawned hundreds of present day rappers.

Just a lame list.

:yabbse-thumbdown:

MacGuffin

Quote from: BethieEdie Brickell- What I Am just started playing on my playlist.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

that set just gave me a massive mid-90s flashback. they've still managed to miss out on the semincal classics:

the real 90s artist-song
Dr Alban - Sing Hallelujah
East 17 - House of love / Deep / Alright / west end girls
EYC - Express Yourself Clearly
Real McCoy - Another Night / run away
BABYLON 5 - SPACEMAN!!!!!
White Town - (i could never be) "your woman"
Twenty 4 Seven - slave to the music
Snow - informer
Culture Beat - mr vain
2 Unlimited - No Limit
Sonia  Dada - you don't treat me no good
DOOP - DOOP
ace of base - (as bethie said) the sign / all that she wants (first song)
OMC - HOW BIZARRE (new zealand group i assume went global with this hit)
boyz II men - end of the road
Sukiyaki - 4am
Bone thugs n Harmony - tha crossroads
Seal - kiss from a rose
K's Choice - i'm not an addict
Meatloaf - i would do anything for love
The KLF - 3AM ETERNAL / (and) JUSTIFIED AND ANCIENT (featuring tammy wynette)
Jordi - "Dur Dur D'Etre Bebe" (pas u should know this one)
New Kids on the Block - dirty dawg (their last big hit)
Taylor Dayne - can't get enuff of ur love
Crystal Waters - 100% pure love
Tevin Campbell - can we talk? (for a minute, girl i waaaant to knooow ur name)
Inner Circle -  sweat (a la la la la long)
Warren G & Nate Dogg - regulate
Big Mountain - baby i love your way
UB40 - can't help falling in love
Del the Funkee Homosapien - Mistadobalina

that's about 10% of the best of the early 90s.

seriously, i would defend the 90s to tbe bitter end. a true 90s fan would not just list what's good now. the early 90s were a magnificent period of discovery and experimentation in pop sensibilities. almost all of these experiments failed, in retrospect, but dammit i LUFFED them.
under the paving stones.

Raikus

Check out "The Buzz" CD set. It's got a great 90's mix of mellow rock and alternative.

And everyone neglects "Standing Outside a Phone Booth..." when they talk about great 90's rock.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Raikus
And everyone neglects "Standing Outside a Phone Booth..." when they talk about great 90's rock.

Because it was kind of a shit song.
This was when they decided they needed a more radio-friendly trip-hop sound.  The album was even worse (yes, I had the album).

Why are all these lists full of shit bands?  The Gin Blossums?  SilverChair?  I thought only little kids liked that crap.

Nirvana, PJ, RHCP, Radiohead, NIN, Portishead, Rage, Dre.... these are all givens.

Does anyone remember Headbanger's Ball?  That and the good hip-hop was where the early nineties was at.

The Toadies had good shit going on at the time... The Burden Brothers keep the same shit going today.

And why?  why? why would anyone ever bring up Walking in Memphis again?  oh fuck, I thought I had that out of my head forever... so terrible.

mogwai

Quote from: RegularKarateDoes anyone remember Headbanger's Ball?  That and the good hip-hop was where the early nineties was at.
i miss headbanger's ball. we had the european one with the hot chick called vanessa warwick. she had these boring three hour specials about death metal bands you'd give a rats ass about. one time she had a exclusive pearl jam interview. an interview that was the only one they had granted at the time. they were going through so tough times then. the american was okay but i don't remember the host's name. um, ricki rachtman? i also miss the rap show. dr dre and fab five. aw man, those were the days!

Myxo

Quote from: PubrickThe KLF - 3AM ETERNAL / (and) JUSTIFIED AND ANCIENT (featuring tammy wynette)

Wow. Totally. I remember just blasting this song in my bedroom..

Another band left off that list.

Metallica "Metallica".

That's a huge miss.